• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Statues & Sculptures

A giant (or is that colossal) squid statue/ artwork has appeared outside Reading station.
It looked a bit precarious in today's strong winds.

PSX_20181129_150940.jpg

I was intrigued to learn of the cat-couple statue in Krasnodar - I have cat-loving relatives who live there, but this is the first I heard of it.

And surely the ... allegedly anatomically-true-to-life statue of Peter the Great in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg deserve mention here.

HowAboutALittleHead.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the visitors' shoes will thereafter need less shining? I was intrigued to learn of the cat-couple statue in Krasnodar - I have cat-loving relatives who live there, but this is the first I heard of it.

And surely the well-rubbed portions of the allegedly anatomically-true-to-life statue of Peter the Great in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg deserve mention here.

View attachment 13341
Peter the Great had microcephaly?

Keighley town centre had a statue of the giant 'Rombold'.

But he was rather 'over endowed' (it stood out a mile) and people kept hanging things on it.

So his pride and joy was drastically reduced by the council.

Then he disappeared from the centre.

Maybe he found the whole episode too embarrassing.

INT21.

A giant (or is that colossal) squid statue/ artwork has appeared outside Reading station.
It looked a bit precarious in today's strong winds.

View attachment 13337

Are its tentacles solid, or do they flap around in the wind? A slap in the face from a giant squid at the railway station would be a heck of an excuse for missing a dull meeting...

Cool squid though

Are its tentacles solid, or do they flap around in the wind? A slap in the face from a giant squid at the railway station would be a heck of an excuse for missing a dull meeting...

Cool squid though

Edit - I haven't quite got the hang of navigation yet. I have just seen the later, lit up photo. Definitely cool, definitely not flapping. As you were!

Cool squid though

When I first photographed the beast yesterday lunchtime, the tentacles were moving in the wind, with one bent towards the ground and which appeared to have dropped off by the evening. The squid seems to be made from fibreglass, like the notorious "blucifer" statue at Denver airport.

... Babies on the tv tower by Ĉerný

The babies were removed in 2017 for inspection and maintenance purposes. Their (cloned) replacements were re-installed in spring 2019.

For cleaning and structural checks, these Babies were removed from the tower in the fall of 2017. After examination of the condition of the sculptures was made a decision to replace them with identical duplicates. In March 2019 were installed the duplicates of the "Babies" on their original positions. The original Babies were returned to David Černý.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Žižkov_Television_Tower

Maybe the visitors' shoes will thereafter need less shining? I was intrigued to learn of the cat-couple statue in Krasnodar - I have cat-loving relatives who live there, but this is the first I heard of it.

And surely the well-rubbed portions of the allegedly anatomically-true-to-life statue of Peter the Great in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg deserve mention here.

View attachment 13341

You're not the only Fortean to have noticed his strange proportions:

FXCD0242.jpg

:sneaky2:

maximus otter

Perhaps a sad reflection on my overuse of social media, but I came into this thread thinking the title said "Strange Statuses". Thought it would be full of weird Facebook posts before people went missing and that.
I bet there is such a thread on here somewhere.

You're not the only Fortean to have noticed his strange proportions:

FXCD0242.jpg

:sneaky2:

maximus otter
He was 6 ft 8 inches tall, but had relatively small hands, feet and head. Odd.

More from Denver International Airport:

EDIT:
Reddit-hosted video of an animatronic gargoyle statue.

www.reddit.com/r/Denver/comments/d8q38w
(Copy & paste into your browser's address entry box if necessary)

(Reason For Editing: Report received complaining about video's unavoidable auto-play.)

More from Denver International Airport: ...

You might need to add a little explanation there for people who don't click links they're not sure about.
I trust you and clicked but others might not, which is a shame.

Snugburys Sculptures

This is local to me. There are lots of photos online and websites which mention the sculptures.

Every summer the Snugburys dairy farm and ice cream factory has a new giant sculpture built in the field next to the main road. The link shows some of them, including the famous Dalek and Peter Rabbit effigies.

There are lots of websites which mention the sculptures. You can stand close to them for photos so of course I carefully posed Techy under Peter's bum for one.

Peter Rabbit and friend.jpg

However, this particular sculpture was eventually burned down and rebuilt. The incident reminded me of the Danish straw goat sculpture which arsonists try to attack every year. I wondered if this was a random attack, or if the sculptures might be regularly targeted like the Goat?
We'll see.

(The Danish goat is well-protected these days and there are webcams trained on it so the public can help keep watch. A friend of my son who lives nearby promises to keep us posted!)

Here I am with the Dalek. It swiveled around and said 'EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!' when you approached.

Scargy and Dalek.jpg

It looked espcially impressive from the road and was definitely my favourite.
Nobody dared burn THAT down!

Back