• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Statues & Sculptures

Statue of Putin appears in New York

In a children’s playground, by French artist James Colomina.

"This sculpture aims at denouncing the absurdity of war and at highlighting children's courage when faced with violent, catastrophic situations triggered by others," wrote Colomina.

He posted several photos of children playfully interacting with the sculpture.

Colomina is known for his bright red street sculptures, often surreptitiously installed in public locations without any prior warning.
1659786073254.png

This Ontario man's retirement hobby - creating large "screaming heads" - has blossomed into a tourist attraction.

screaming-heads-2208.jpg
Screaming Heads in Burks Falls becoming quite the tourist attraction

Peter Camani started making large sculptures on his 300 acres property back in 1995.

Now, his retirement activity has led to over 100 sculptures that sit on his property, ranging in all different shapes and sizes. ...

"The sculptures are made out of concrete, heavily reinforced and they're just sitting there for people to look at."

He said he does it because it's a passion, but time and effort go into each sculpture. ...

The Screaming Heads are open to tourists year around and Camani said each season is a different experience.
FULL STORY (With Video): https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/...coming-quite-the-tourist-attraction-1.6026940

Religious leaders object to a religious statue

Religious leaders in a Cornish town have called for a statue to be removed or for its name to be changed because of its "spiritual significance".

The £80,000 ceramic art Earth Goddess was put up in St Austell in June to "celebrate the area's heritage".

A letter was sent by seven religious leaders to the town council, saying the statue was "offensive to God".

Richard Pears, former mayor of the town, said there were no plans to remove it or change its name.

The 36ft (11m) tall statue is part of a project to regenerate St Austell, which used to have a thriving china clay industry.

The letter said leaders of the town were "actively, though likely unknowingly, choosing to reject God and instead to bring the town under the spiritual influence of an 'earth goddess'".

It went on: "We would ask that you consider either making significant changes to the statue… or at the very least the name is changed so that it is an abstract piece of art with no spiritual element. Or that you consider removing or relocating the statue."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-62623953

Religious leaders in a Cornish town have called for a statue to be removed or for its name to be changed because of its "spiritual significance".

The £80,000 ceramic art Earth Goddess was put up in St Austell in June to "celebrate the area's heritage".

A letter was sent by seven religious leaders to the town council, saying the statue was "offensive to God".

Richard Pears, former mayor of the town, said there were no plans to remove it or change its name.

The 36ft (11m) tall statue is part of a project to regenerate St Austell, which used to have a thriving china clay industry.

The letter said leaders of the town were "actively, though likely unknowingly, choosing to reject God and instead to bring the town under the spiritual influence of an 'earth goddess'".

It went on: "We would ask that you consider either making significant changes to the statue… or at the very least the name is changed so that it is an abstract piece of art with no spiritual element. Or that you consider removing or relocating the statue."

Spiritual or not, it isn’t my cup of Rosey Lea…

Potholed roads, burnt out street lights, bins collected only fortnightly, utility bills so unaffordable that people are going to die of cold this winter, yet the council decides it can afford to spend £80,000 of taxpayers’ money on this eyesore:

3b2a5f298b5dbddca6301ae5851ef1f32f3d6d5b.jpg

Heads need to roll.

maximus otter

Potholed roads, burnt out street lights, bins collected only fortnightly, utility bills so unaffordable that people are going to die of cold this winter, yet the council decides it can afford to spend £80,000 of taxpayers’ money on this eyesore:

Heads need to roll.

maximus otter
Add on to the list 'turning most streetlights off between midnight and 5.30-6am' as well. Save money here, waste it there.....

Add on to the list 'turning most streetlights off between midnight and 5.30-6am' as well. Save money here, waste it there.....
Yes that's a cunning wheeze to save money isn't it - turning street lights off when it's dark.

Heads need to roll.

maximus otter
As it's ceramic, it won't last long.

Heads need to roll.

maximus otter

I like the colours and shapes, hints of Kadinsky, Picasso, Miro and Hundertwasser.

To me it looks like a sword stuck in the ground. I can also see an ankh. I also like the mosaic/tiling on the flowerbed.

At the risk of straying close to the waters of 'politics' ...... (but I think i'm just about staying in the seas of acceptability)
There is no such thing as 'council money' or 'government money'.
It is all money in the control of the council or government which has been collected as taxes from us the people, in one way or another.

Anyways...as you were.

All artwork paid for out of council money is a waste when one considers the above.

quality of life, local pride, community feeling, improving an area. All intangible but real benefits. I'm usually all for public art.

I like this in parts - something Gaudi-ish about it? I can see it becoming a meeting point for cafe culture sort of thing.

I like it because some religious people are seeing it as an agent of the devil.

I like the colours and shapes, hints of Kadinsky, Picasso, Miro and Hundertwasser.

To me it looks like a sword stuck in the ground. I can also see an ankh. I also like the mosaic/tiling on the flowerbed.
It looks like the product of someone whose parents told them that their first ever pasta-stuck-on paper primary school artwork was a master-piece and they never were told anything different the rest of their lives.

Creepy kid-shaped bollards in Stoney Stanton have become a source of debate. Some say they're a good symbolic warning, while others say they're a potentially dangerous distraction.

CreepyKidBollards-2208.jpg
‘Creepy’ bollards shaped like schoolchildren are the stuff of nightmares

It may look like a set for the next Doctor Who episode or a new horror film, but this street in Leicestershire is very much real.

Child-shaped bollards have been eerily standing to attention across the village of Stoney Stanton.

They watch stonily as cars pass by the local school.

A video of the bollards, which have been in place since 2020, went viral on Twitter this week. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/10/cree...ares-17158962/?ico=tag-post-strip_item_1_news

I was in Basingstoke a couple of days back and, on passing the Willis museum, saw there was an exhibition on called Mythomania, so I couldn't resist having a look around.
It features strikingly colourful giant statues constructed from materials such as stainless steel, vinyl, corrugated cardboard, Perspex and leather by Leeds-based Canadian artist Ian Kirkpatrick.
Here's a couple of pics I took of "Empire" (I think?) and "The Fisher King":

piccy1.png

piccy2.png

A monument to Cheetos (cheese puffs) and the cheesy orange powder residue it leaves on consumers' fingers has been erected in a small Alberta town. The statue will remain in place until 4 November.

Cheetos-Statue-Canada-2210.jpg
A Small Canadian Town Is Now the Home of a 17-foot-tall Cheeto Statue

Cheadle, a town of around 100 people, sits about 30 miles east of Calgary in south-central Alberta, Canada. Nearby Langdon has a Tim Hortons and a KFC, and Strathmore has a McDonald's and a brewery, but tiny Cheadle has something that's possibly even more exciting: a 17-foot tall statue of a set of Cheeto-dusted fingertips, reaching out of the earth to grab a single orange Cheeto Puff.

The surprisingly large monument was placed by PepsiCo Canada earlier this week. So why Cheadle? Because according to the company, the official brand name for the brightly colored powder that coats your fingers while you're eating Cheetos is… Cheetle.

"Cheetos fans have always known that the delicious, cheesy dust on their fingertips is an unmistakably delicious part of the Cheetos experience, but now it officially has a name: Cheetle," Lisa Allie, the Senior Marketing Director for PepsiCo Foods Canada, said in a statement. "We're excited to be celebrating Cheetle and Canadians' cheesy, Cheetle-dusted fingertips on such a grand scale and in such a uniquely mischievous way." ...

If you live in or around Cheadle — or feel like making a road trip — the Cheetle Hand Statue will be on display at 400 Railway Avenue from now through Friday, November 4. ...

While the statue is new, the concept of Cheetle has been around since the 1980s when the word — originally spelled as "cheedle" — was coined and defined by comedian Rich Hall. Somewhere along the line, the Cheetos brand spell-checked and capitalized the term, and the rest is cheesy history.
FULL STORY: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/cheetos-statue-cheadle-alberta-canada

"And the well-toned figure leaves nothing to the imagination!"

Especially if you imagined him having a tiny penis. Which is confirmed.

When the alien archaeologists unearth this it's going to confuse them to no end ...

An Oklahoma town has commissioned and installed a statue commemorating a townsman's claim that he inspired the "leg lamp" in the 1983 movie "A Christmas Story." It's a 50-foot-tall replica of the movie's leg lamp.

ChickashaLegLampStatue.jpg
Oklahoma town celebrates its 'A Christmas Story' ties with new 50-foot leg lamp statue

nspired by local legend, a 50-foot-tall recreation of the iconic "A Christmas Story" leg lamp — complete with a black high heel, fringed lampshade and box marked "fragile" — has become a permanent statue.

Built entirely out of fiberglass, the permanent sculpture is located in Chickasha's new downtown park. It measures 40-feet tall, stands atop a 10-foot crate and boasts "the soft glow of electric sex" that Ralphie admires in the classic 1983 movie ...

When Chickasha native Noland James died in 2020 at the age of 89, many people were surprised that his obituary included the line, "Noland always felt his lamp was the prototype for the one in the movie 'A Christmas Story.'" ...

James, who taught at Oklahoma University in the School of Visual Arts for 30 years, used a women's mannequin for an unusual art display in his office until he retired.

The bottom of this novelty was a lamp devised of the mannequin's two slender legs clad in black hose and pumps, while the torso was a waste basket. The whole figure was dressed in a lacy black-and-white outfit. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...chickasha-oklahoma-park-sculpture/8288167001/

An MIA promotional statue of Mickey Mouse as a lobster hybrid has been located, refurbished, and returned to Boston. Here are some photos of this "Lobsta Mickey's" original installations prior to going MIA.

LobstaMickey-Front.jpg
LobstaMickey-Back.jpg
Oddball 6-foot ‘Lobsta Mickey’ statue returns to Boston

A long-forgotten, and somewhat unsettling, statue of Mickey Mouse with giant lobster claws for hands has found its way back to Boston.

The 700-pound statue was last seen in the city nearly two decades ago at Quincy Market where it entertained tourists and shoppers — before slipping out of sight and into city lore after it was sold in 2005 at an auction organized by Disney.

In the interim, references to the 6-foot tall “Lobsta Mickey” appeared on Atlas Obscura, a website for oddball landmarks, and in a “Zippy the Pinhead” comic strip from 2019.

Still, the statue itself — one of 75 Mickey Mouse-inspired sculptures commissioned by Disney for the cartoon character’s 75th anniversary — remained elusive.

That’s until Deon Point, creative director for the Boston sneaker store Concepts, became fixated on tracking down the creation. ...

Point ... spent five years following online threads before finally spotting a listing for the mouse/crustacean relic on eBay.

The statue had found its way to a New Jersey lawn, but was in need of some repairs. It was discolored, split in sections and its concrete foundation had begun to crumble. ...

Point hired a local artist to refurbish and repaint the statue. ...

Point said he plans to keep “Lobsta Mickey” on display through the holidays, before finding a new, long-term home somewhere within Boston.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-entertainment-boston-quincy-ad508b6d899a44e64ae572cc601743cb

Back