• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Strangers

That did cross my mind Swifty, but honestly I don’t think he’s a jumper.

I have a notion in my head that he may have got dumped, and that the only time he knows where is ex would be, is each morning, on her daily commute to work.

Would explain the intense staring, and heartbreak can certainly cause a person to turn to drink.

Aaahh well one less nuisance to deal with. Had a phone call just now out of the blue. This is from someone I gave my phone number to to help him with a problem he has ( never again lesson learned as he rang me every day for a week). One you give advice to and they ignore it. Then ramble on and complain about the very same problem ad infinitum.

Me - Hello
X - Hello
Me- Who is this?
X - It's me...X
Me - Oh hello... ( deflated voice)
X- rambles on about something or other for a few minutes then says he is going out for a drink later
Me - I am not going out today
X- Under the thumb are you?
Me - Yeah
X - Thought you were. Seen him ( means Hubby) staring at me over the past few weeks. ( news to me)
Me - Oh right.
X- Can you talk?
Me - No... not really
X - Is HE there ( meaning Hubby who is sat in the armchair with a puzzled look on his face)
Me - Yeees.
X - So you are not going out with me for a drink then?
Me - No.
X- So are aren't interested in me then?
Me - NO I think you have got the wrong idea!
X- I seen you looking at me though.
Me - I think you have got the wrong idea here.
X- Right I won't bother you again tarra.

Told Hubby and we both roared laughing I mean fgs this bloke is 78 and is losing the plot. I have known him over 40 years and chatted to him when I see him but suddenly he escalates things to a full blown affair situation by the seems of it. Hubby is teasing me now. I give up!:dunno:

Last edited:
Hubby has just said it is my fault as I give off the wrong signals and attract them. I think I need to have some rethinking on my body language etc etc etc. Oh for pities sake! :oops: Now he tells me!

Hubby has just said it is my fault as I give off the wrong signals and attract them. I think I need to have some rethinking on my body language etc etc etc. Oh for pities sake! :oops: Now he tells me!

Rubbish, it's all in their heads. Some men think a woman who is just basically polite is giving them a come-on. Or rather, they pretend to believe that to embarrass her into letting him carry on talking to her.

I get this with men at work sometimes. They ask for my number etc and if I say no they reply 'But you've been talking to me, I can tell you like me!' Er, no, I've agreed that this is unusual weather we're having and perhaps it'll rain tomorrow. Hardly pillow-talk.

Each morning around 7.30 on my way to work, I walk past a guy who stands beside a rubbish bin drinking from a can of Stella, the road on which he stands is in an elevated position, overlooking the local train station, and though sips stares intensely at the platforms below.

He’s there each morning and has been for the past 6 months whatever the weather, he doesn’t look like he’s homeless, just a regular chap, in is early 30’s and quite smartly dressed.

It’s none of my business of course, but often I’ve thought of stopping and engaging him in some conversation, and to find out what or who he is staring at, and why he feels the need to drink strong cans lager at that time of the morning.

What do you think – bad idea.?

If he is looking a bit jumpy around a railway station the BTP would like to know. You could text them about it on 61016.
Maybe don't approach him in case he is working up to something drastic and gets rattled.

Last year I was on a train stopped in a station and saw a man on the opposite platform leaning toward the tracks and crying. I texted the BTP and sent them a photo of him. They went to have a chat with him. No idea what happened or if he was actually suicidal but I didn't get held up on way home so all must've been well.

The BTP deal with this sort of thing all the time and would rather talk with someone who's acting weirdly and find no problem than have to attend a fatal incident.
They are skilled at finding out if someone is suicidal or not and prefer to prevent all the danger and disruption.

That man sounds like a risk and it would be good to check him out judging from his demeanor poor soul. Better safe than sorry.

Yes Escargot you are right some men only need the slightest glimmer of 'interest' and don't take the hints thrown at them. I still think I need to review my behaviour though and not be so open with people. I would have thought as you get older you get less problems - but nope.

Rubbish, it's all in their heads. Some men think a woman who is just basically polite is giving them a come-on. Or rather, they pretend to believe that to embarrass her into letting him carry on talking to her.

I get this with men at work sometimes. They ask for my number etc and if I say no they reply 'But you've been talking to me, I can tell you like me!' Er, no, I've agreed that this is unusual weather we're having and perhaps it'll rain tomorrow. Hardly pillow-talk.

Jeez, you meet some awful men, Escargot.

I once read that someone persuaded her children to eat sprouts by renaming them 'fairy cabbages'.
Sprouts are NOT cabbages. Yick! I have so many people who try to convince me of that. I just tell them that they are welcome to my share. I hate sprouts and nothing will convince me different.:):mattack:

I attract odd people no matter where I am. I once was sitting in a mall foodcourt enjoying a coffee and doing a puzzle (cryptograms or something) on my own. A woman stopped and stood beside me and started chatting. I replied uhum and gave no eye contact and continued doing my own thing. She then started "helping" me do my puzzle! WTF do you do with that? I didn't want to leave as it was my space and I hadn't intruded.

I attract odd people no matter where I am. I once was sitting in a mall foodcourt enjoying a coffee and doing a puzzle (cryptograms or something) on my own. A woman stopped and stood beside me and started chatting. I replied uhum and gave no eye contact and continued doing my own thing. She then started "helping" me do my puzzle! WTF do you do with that? I didn't want to leave as it was my space and I hadn't intruded.

You look them in the eye and say 'DO you mind?' and they soon get the hint.

Coincidentally, yesterday I was doing a crossword on public transport when a man sat beside me - I didn't mind that as there weren't many seats - and started trying to converse with me. I minded THAT. All he got were grunts.

I must've been giving off the old hostiles as he eventually wandered off and sat down next to someone else.
The Snail is not here to entertain men.

That man sounds like a risk and it would be good to check him out judging from his demeanor poor soul. Better safe than sorry.

Yes Escargot you are right some men only need the slightest glimmer of 'interest' and don't take the hints thrown at them. I still think I need to review my behaviour though and not be so open with people. I would have thought as you get older you get less problems - but nope.

There comes a time when you realise it's not your job to put strangers at their ease. Very liberating.

Part of my job is dealing with raucous drunks. I don't have any trouble with them, I use my Secret Weapon. They fall back in awe.

If he is looking a bit jumpy around a railway station the BTP would like to know. You could text them about it on 61016.
Maybe don't approach him in case he is working up to something drastic and gets rattled.

Last year I was on a train stopped in a station and saw a man on the opposite platform leaning toward the tracks and crying. I texted the BTP and sent them a photo of him. They went to have a chat with him. No idea what happened or if he was actually suicidal but I didn't get held up on way home so all must've been well.

The BTP deal with this sort of thing all the time and would rather talk with someone who's acting weirdly and find no problem than have to attend a fatal incident.
They are skilled at finding out if someone is suicidal or not and prefer to prevent all the danger and disruption.

Okay, I made quick contact with the guy yesterday morning and he seems alright.

I made out I was throwing yesterday’s Metro newspaper in the bin that he stand’s next to, I politely said good morning he politely did the same.

He told me that he walks his wife to the station each morning, and he watches the platform to make sure she gets on the train okay – sounds plausible.

I didn’t get to the bottom of his early morning Steller drinking yet - maybe it’s none of my business,

This morning I was running late and he’d gone by the time I got to the station, but on top of the bin was a can of very strong Cider.

He’s upped the stakes on the early morning grog then.

Okay, I made quick contact with the guy yesterday morning and he seems alright.

I made out I was throwing yesterday’s Metro newspaper in the bin that he stand’s next to, I politely said good morning he politely did the same.

He told me that he walks his wife to the station each morning, and he watches the platform to make sure she gets on the train okay – sounds plausible.

I didn’t get to the bottom of his early morning Steller drinking yet - maybe it’s none of my business,

This morning I was running late and he’d gone by the time I got to the station, but on top of the bin was a can of very strong Cider.

He’s upped the stakes on the early morning grog then.

Hmmm. Sounds to me like someone with 'controlling tendencies'. Maybe he thinks his wife is having an affair and meeting her 'fancy man' at the station...

Tom Kerridge was currying them on Womans Hour yesterday- said he wanted to make them even more fun.

There was an Indian restaurant in Limehouse some years back, that had curried brussels as a vegetable side dish.

It was incredibly tasty - maybe I’ll give it a go next time I cook a curry at home

There was an Indian restaurant in Limehouse some years back, that had curried brussels as a vegetable side dish.

It was incredibly tasty - maybe I’ll give it a go next time I cook a curry at home

I once bought two trays of roasted sprouts because they were cheap. Prepared and ate them and they were OK, except for a sharp bit on one which painfully scraped my throat.

Coincidentally one of our cats ate a bird or summat on the same day and suffered a similar injury from swallowing bones.

We've somehow got this far in the thread without anyone posting people are strange by The Doors .. remarkable.

Back