• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Strangers

The thing about the graves being excavated is ringing a distant bell for me - was it some northern tribe of indigenous people (Innuit?) who did something similar somewhere? I wonder if they perhaps belonged to a peculiar religious cult who got notice of The Rapture approaching and had to head for nearby high ground (complete with 'to be risen' dead)?

I'd have thought he'd have had a bit of a head's up if they were that religious, but maybe not, especially if his girlfriend hadn't really bought into it all but was persuaded to go along with her parents, thinking she'd be back in a day. If he worked outside the 'encampment' then others might not have known about it...

Brownmane The way he explained about what he said he had been through was far more detailed and descriptive than I have recalled here. I remember too that he did mention the name and location of the town which, unfortunately I don't remember. He was extremely convincing and genuine. I have often wondered if he did have a mental health issue that wasn't being successfully managed at that time. He definitely believed that he had experienced something truly horrific and whatever it was had left its mark deeply upon him.

Perhaps he believed it, and I dare say he was traumatised but I've heard a very similar story, which was supposedly told to the speaker by the widow of a senior US military officer: he was called up to a tiny village in a remote part of Northern Canada where essentially the same thing had happened, the entire community - numbering in the dozens, gone and the entire graveyard, numbering in the hundreds, emptied. Supposedly all the local wildlife were avoiding the area also, the conclusion the army came to was, you guessed it: aliens. Apparently the woman was a widow because her husband became very depressed afterwards and either killed himself or drank himself to death, as he was so traumatised by this experience.

I know this one; coincidentally, I just read a version on the missing persons thread; as I also recall from elsewhere, the story is largely agreed to be entirely fictional. Now, whether that's the case this time around isn't for me to say. But it has the narrative structure of fiction (not on the part of OP I hasten to add).

I think that's what I was thinking of, maximus, thank you. Didn't realise it had been debunked (but not altogether surprised).

Sounds like a variation of the "why don't you - yes but" game.
http://www.ericberne.com/games-people-play/why-dont-you-yes-but/

I became pretty good at deflecting it over the years.

I used to know someone who would mentally rehearse their (conversational) argument before bringing the topic up. Thing is, it really didn't matter what the other person said or did, my acquaintance would still cycle through the argument as if I'd screamed no, punched them in the face, then stuck my fingers in my ears and loudly la la la-ed my way out of the room.

Them: We should do thing A
Me: yep, we totally should
Them: and here's why we should do thing A
Me: ...?

And it would never be just one line of why A was the way forward, it would be a number of arguments, and evidence, and people who supported the proposal. The full argument trotted out, regardless of when or if the listener agreed or not.

It was weird. I suspect that they have little confidence, this coupled with the notion that they were quite difficult so lots of people probably disagreed with their suggestions - hence the argument prep.

Discovered /realised the other day that whenever I wear my purple velvet jacket it causes odd bod blokes to start talking to me admiring the colour. I love that jacket so I am perfecting the curt polite response then diverting my attention away. Seems to be working so far...

I have been known to compliment a pretty coat before. I'm a woman, and am genuinely liking the clothes not Trying to be a creeper. It's not something often do, as I'm quite an introvert in real life, but I have complimented boots, shoes and suits in my time. I have also had some of my goods and chattels complimented, and I (and my complimentees) are often slightly surprised and then pleased. Often it leads to a quick chat about where to get the item. I may have a dress in my wardrobe as a result of one of these chats. Maybe I'm the strange stranger in this case!

I can imagine that if the person was doing it as a prelude to hitting on you that would be a very different situation...

Actually, I've just thought- in my long ago misspent youth, at the end of the evening, if tempers flared in the taxi queue, a quick 'I love those shoes/bag/jacket, where'd you get them/it?' often diffused a lot of unpleasantness.

Wittenoom?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittenoom,_Western_Australia
It's contaminated by asbestos. Maybe the graves were moved to a place where there is no contamination?

"It was reported in 2018 that thousands of travellers still visited the ghost town every year as a form of extreme tourism.[ "

thats so weird. I stayed one night in wittenoom in the 90's. I was travelling with some friends and we'd been to Karijini (?) national park and there was literally no where else to stay. we weren't set up for camping and it would've been a squash to all sleep in the car i suppose. we figured we wouldn't die of asbestos poisoning from one night. it was already a condemned town, all the public services were off, and there was dozens of signs on the road in saying NO. there was a handful of residents still, one of which was the backpacker house. bizarrely there was another person already there.

we didn't meet the owner, there was a sign on the door saying 'go next door' or something. the neighbour was like, yeah just go in, bring the money up in the morning.

the dunny was outside, populated by flying creatures, cockroaches and a frog under the rim when you flushed.

when we got there is was almost dark and then started raining. there was an amazing lightening storm over the gorge, which we sat and watched from the porch.

in the morning we could see there was still lots of houses, but mostly empty. kind of spooky but in the bright morning sun, not that odd seeming. plus i was getting used to the fact that 3 bungalows and a shed constitutes a 'town' in outback australia.

we later discovered there was modern, not asbestosy motel rooms at a roadhouse maybe 20 miles away. but on the other hand that would've been 20 miles in the dark and rain on a dirt road.

plus is was kind of cool to stay there!

Hmmm. Sounds to me like someone with 'controlling tendencies'. Maybe he thinks his wife is having an affair and meeting her 'fancy man' at the station...

Am I the only one to think it's a shame to assume controlling tendencies just because a man wants to make sure his wife gets safely onto her train?

On the (thankfully rare, nowadays) occasion that my husband goes somewhere without me or vice versa, we always make sure the other sets off okay at whatever point in space and time that we have to separate, be it in the house or at a station or what have you. This would certainly involve seeing the other one off on a train, and for that matter watching said train until it was completely out of sight.
We just have always done this and it is normal for us.

It seems a sad state of affairs to me, when something like that would be seen as suspicious rather than just a nice, loving gesture.

So I will respectfully disagree with you on this :)

Am I the only one to think it's a shame to assume controlling tendencies just because a man wants to make sure his wife gets safely onto her train?

On the (thankfully rare, nowadays) occasion that my husband goes somewhere without me or vice versa, we always make sure the other sets off okay at whatever point in space and time that we have to separate, be it in the house or at a station or what have you. This would certainly involve seeing the other one off on a train, and for that matter watching said train until it was completely out of sight.
We just have always done this and it is normal for us.

It seems a sad state of affairs to me, when something like that would be seen as suspicious rather than just a nice, loving gesture.

So I will respectfully disagree with you on this :)

This is every day though, and he loiters, and he boozes.

I'd read the full story on that one, Zeb, before you disagree too hard.

I'm absolutely sure your other half wouldn't 'see you off' whilst totally slaughtered on cheap lager!

I used to know someone who would mentally rehearse their (conversational) argument before bringing the topic up. Thing is, it really didn't matter what the other person said or did, my acquaintance would still cycle through the argument as if I'd screamed no, punched them in the face, then stuck my fingers in my ears and loudly la la la-ed my way out of the room.

Them: We should do thing A
Me: yep, we totally should
Them: and here's why we should do thing A
Me: ...?

And it would never be just one line of why A was the way forward, it would be a number of arguments, and evidence, and people who supported the proposal. The full argument trotted out, regardless of when or if the listener agreed or not.

It was weird. I suspect that they have little confidence, this coupled with the notion that they were quite difficult so lots of people probably disagreed with their suggestions - hence the argument prep.

Reminds me of how I used to tackle suggesting anything to the ex. He had a habit of disagreeing with everything I said, just automatically contradicting me as if it was a reflex. So I'd have to rehearse all the arguments against whatever instant objections I could imagine he'd come up with. Very tedious indeed.

I'd read the full story on that one, Zeb, before you disagree too hard.

I'm absolutely sure your other half wouldn't 'see you off' whilst totally slaughtered on cheap lager!

Yeah that's very true (he doesn't drink lager lol)... I've now read the rest of that story, and I'm leaning toward perhaps his wife died or something, and he goes there every day, drunk... it's the way my mind works. I just don't leap to 'bad man' automatically. We all have our own default views on things, I guess. Call me old-fashioned, but I think men get a disproportionately 'bad press' nowadays what with me too movements and the like.

I didn't like the idea that "seeing wife off on train" equals "controlling husband" and I stand by that. Even if I don't know what the heck is going on, in this particular scenario!

:) x

Reminds me of how I used to tackle suggesting anything to the ex. He had a habit of disagreeing with everything I said, just automatically contradicting me as if it was a reflex. So I'd have to rehearse all the arguments against whatever instant objections I could imagine he'd come up with. Very tedious indeed.
I have a friend like that, who always assumes I'm wrong. I have to go through contortions to prove I'm right. Why he can't take what I say at face value, I don't know.

Sounds like the contradictory reporter on the recent Alan Partridge show.

Blimey, how d'you tolerate someone like this? Sounds like a total wanker. Did you actually marry this one?

I have a friend like that, who always assumes I'm wrong. I have to go through contortions to prove I'm right. Why he can't take what I say at face value, I don't know.

He contradicts you because he knows you'll go to the rouble of trying to put him right.
While you're doing that he a. has your attention and b. feels important because you are the one explaining yourself to him.

With personal experience of this type of relationship (see below) I can offer advice; use the word 'whatever' more. You don't HAVE to explain things.
Remember, he knows you're right, he just enjoys playing you. You fall for it every time.

Blimey, how d'you tolerate someone like this? Sounds like a total wanker. Did you actually marry this one?

It was a habit he gradually acquired. If I said 'Let's take the kids to the park today!' he'd say 'No, I'll take them swimming tomorrow!'
I'd suggest curry and he'd say 'I prefer pizza' even though he didn't.
He constantly contradicted me. Didn't even know he was doing it.

He was once due to spend a late July day outside for work. Dress code was casual. He appeared in shorts and teeshirt with no hat.

I suggested he'd need to cover up more, maybe wear jeans and a baseball cap? The sun would be fierce.
As the words left my mouth I regretted them because I KNEW he'd disagree, and he did, and next time I saw him he was in bed with sunstroke.

That's when I realised he had a serious problem; he was indeed a wanker.

I dealt with his denial habit by just not consulting him about things any more. Went ahead and did things without involving him. Life was easier.

If he caught me out I'd say 'If'd I told you about it you'd only argue with me!' and he'd say 'No I wouldn't!' and I'd say 'You're doing it now!' which was hard for even HIM to contradict. He would though; he'd say 'No, I'm agreeing with you!'

He's probably still out there somewhere arguing with lamp posts.

He contradicts you because he knows you'll go to the rouble of trying to put him right.
While you're doing that he a. has your attention and b. feels important because you are the one explaining yourself to him.

With personal experience of this type of relationship (see below) I can offer advice; use the word 'whatever' more. You don't HAVE to explain things.
Remember, he knows you're right, he just enjoys playing you. You fall for it every time.

It was a habit he gradually acquired. If I said 'Let's take the kids to the park today!' he'd say 'No, I'll take them swimming tomorrow!'

He was once due to spend a late July day outside for work. Dress code was casual. He appeared in shorts and teeshirt with no hat.

I suggested he'd need to cover up more, maybe wear jeans and a baseball cap? The sun would be fierce.
As the words left my mouth I regretted them because I KNEW he'd disagree, and he did, and next time I saw him he was in bed with sunstroke.

I dealt with his denial habit by just not consulting him about things any more. Went ahead and did things without involving him. Life was easier.

If he caught me out I'd say 'If'd I told you about it you'd only argue with me!' and he'd say 'No I wouldn't!' and I'd say 'You're doing it now!' which was hard for even HIM to contradict. He would though; he'd say 'No, I'm agreeing with you!'

Good advice there Scargy.

I think it's a control thing. I had an ex a bit like this. In the end I stopped suggesting anything, because I knew he'd disregard anything I said, just because I said it. If anyone else suggested the same thing, he'd be all for it.

It was control.

My hubby always argued the opposite to whatever I'd say , though a niece once said that I and he would argue between ourselves (it was more banter), but would back each other up if it was a third person involved in the discussion.

Anyone might believe in astrology as his zodiac sign was Libra (the scales) and supposedly Librans like things in balance, so of course he had to argue:domo:

I think it's a control thing. I had an ex a bit like this. In the end I stopped suggesting anything, because I knew he'd disregard anything I said, just because I said it. If anyone else suggested the same thing, he'd be all for it.

It was control.

Nail on the head there, Catseye. This also reminds me of my late father who had the same habit. He too was controlling and mentally abusive of people close to him.

Well, female people. He was fawningly approving of anything men or boys did.

Example: a niece of mine, his granddaughter, naughtily unscrewed a bathroom mirror and it fell down. Dad was furious and I agreed, until he said 'If a BOY did it, it'd be clever!'
Yes, he actually said that. At that moment I realised a thing or two about him.

My hubby always argued the opposite to whatever I'd say , though a niece once said that I and he would argue between ourselves (it was more banter), but would back each other up if it was a third person involved in the discussion.

Banter is different though, it's affectionate and bonding, not controlling or abusive. It's easy to tell the difference if it becomes one-sided and bullying when you're on the receiving end.

I work in a mainly male occupation and the banter is fierce.

Two things strike me about it -
1. Colleagues rip into me and I rip enthusiastically back, no holds barred, and we all have a great time. Tears of laughter.
2. Younger members of staff receive a milder version of the banter from the oldies. It would be bullying to give them the full works.
They do however mock and prank each other mercilessly - shaping up nicely!
(One recently attached Burger King crowns to the oldies' lockers after bragging about bunking off there during his shift. Rubbing it in, y'know. Bastard.)

About telling which is which -
Couple of years back someone stuck a sign over my bike at work - 'Cat Piss Corner'. My coat left on the bike must've stunk as our cats' pals sometimes kindly pop in to spray.
I showed it to the boss and said 'If this is banter it's OK but if it's a nasty dig it's not! But I'll wash my coat anyway.'

Never found out who it was but everyone laughed anyway so all was well.

Well, female people. He was fawningly approving of anything men or boys did.
Oddly my m-i-l is the other way around. The son can do no wrong. Two of her grandsons are feckless gits, but are 'lovely' (they really are not).

The daughters, granddaughters (various) work hard, study, have their lives in order. "Eh".

Both her daughters have been affected in their different ways by this persistent attitude(?).

Back