• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Thing In A Pond

kamalktk

Antediluvian
I don't even have any ideas what this could be.

At first I figured maybe a gas release, but there are no bubbles in the pond. Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very peculiar...is that the beginning of a sinkhole....

Your dog isn't freaked out nor the toad that swims close to it. Can I ask...the colour I can see...is that it breaking the surface or is that underwater?

My first guess is that it's a subaqueous spring pit - a place where (e.g.) an artesian spring seeps ground water through a floor sediment. These commonly present themselves as shallow circular holes where upwelling water slowly emerges from mud / muck.

http://www.ig.tuwien.ac.at/forschung/sc ... rings.html

Did no-one lese see that as a weird clam thing that opens and closes with clammy nasty wibbly bits inside. :cross eye

OneWingedBird said:
Did no-one lese see that as a weird clam thing that opens and closes with clammy nasty wibbly bits inside. :cross eye

That was my impression too...perhaps a giant freshwater clam?
Of course, if it was, it'd have to be the biggest one on the planet...

I'm leaning toward an artesian spring but one that's "geysering" (?) hot water through red clay irregularly. As the hot water blooms into the cold pond water the colour of the clay disappears as the hot water cools. I can't see the mouth with bits in it...

Moooksta said:
Your dog isn't freaked out nor the toad that swims close to it. Can I ask...the colour I can see...is that it breaking the surface or is that underwater?
Sorry, not my video or I'd probably go back and take more. According to the internet (http://ufosightingshotspot.blogspot.com ... nd-in.html), the video is from Lithuania, though as we all know "according to the internet" means that "from Lithuania" could potentially be anywhere between the North Pole and the South Pole.

My impression was that nothing was breaking the water, as the water around it appears to be pretty much still. Artesian springs and red clay as suggested do seem like the most likely explanation.

The springs at Wells in Somerset are a bit similar, they don't have the different colour and they don't pulse so obviously but you can see the water welling up from the centre of the pools, no bubbles.

Nothing's breaking the water because there is a thin sheet of ice over it. You can see it early in the video when he's adjusting the angle. So yeah, slow warm spring (explains the round hole in the center of the pond that's frozen enough for him to stand on). and the water that comes up mixes with the red clay and him standing on the ice is what's causing the movement.

Back