• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

I'm not a fan of spicy food, probably one of the reasons I failed as the manager of an Indian restaurant so although this isn't a vid on strange food, I completely get where this man's coming from ..

We don't hear so much about tapeworms in the UK these days but I remember having one as a kid, way back in the sixties. Worm-cakes were the prescribed treatment: chocolate-flavour, so I did not mind them at all.

Then there was all the excitement of waiting for the tagliatelle-like thing to pass. Was it still moving? I seem to recall that it was, though this may be a false-memory superimposed on very dimly-remembered recollections of things passed. :sherlock:

Undercooked pork is often blamed, though my mother's tendency to overcook things makes me wonder about that!

Pets were sometimes blamed but we did not have any at that period. :dunno:

Fun fact: pineapple makes your lips tingle because it contains enzymes that digests proteins. It is, in a word, eating your mouth as your mouth eats it.
Another related fact: people who regularly cut up and handle pineapple run the risk of having no fingerprints.

How do you feel about gimbap?

I'm good with gimpab, but I did eat it almost every day as lunch for eighteen months.

Thag said, there's gimbap and there's gimbap; you can get a cheap roll for the equivalent of quid and a fancy one for over six quid--and the fancy one has ultra fresh (and fancy) ingredients.

Another related fact: people who regularly cut up and handle pineapple run the risk of having no fingerprints.
I'm still looking for a source on that other than an episode of Hawaii 5-0 which mentions it. Everywhere I've looked it up refers back to that, and nothing points to any studies or primary sources.

I'm not saying it's not true, or that there isn't scientific evidence for it, just that I've been looking and haven't found it.

What I do know for a fact is that it dissolves your teeth. And those enzymes also make it a good meat tenderiser, which is why it's a popular ingredient in the Pacific region.

I hate Cadbury's cream eggs, now an ice cream van driver has invented the cream egg pizza .. "eggf:

acreameggpizza.jpg

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/creme-egg-pizza-delivery-ricky-14233883

It looks like someone puked up into a pie dish.

That's what we in Scandinavia calls "Negerboller" or "Negro balls". Just as strange name. "Neger" because they're black. It's almost considered racist these days, but people still use the word.
Nice...It looks like Tunnock's tea cakes, but... bigger.
upload_2018-3-19_15-4-2.jpeg

And of course, we have in France a smaller version of the same thing:
Ourson-Cemoi-noir.png

By the way, it is a bear and in reality, it is smaller than that picture...

Last edited:
For that, I'm definitely an giant pansy! You could have warned us! Some people are arachnophobes!

Back