• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

fQA6Gm2ayT8Q1eFwDC2kV1mQxkgxvhuoaZZ3gDDbISAticwkb34UayHvF4HhQArgJZvWC0M-eI-HxFMIm92zhClt2R4ZdV4VXAVquA=s0-d

maximus otter

And the whole point to the exercise was MO?

Well that's obvious MO - no, the point of blending a living thing.

It’s a bug, and a venomous one at that. They are a common pest in the USA.

Your car’s windscreen “blends” hundreds of thousands of bugs every year. Never used fly spray or ant powder?

maximus otter

Last edited:
Christ, and now even Morrisons are making weird pizzas Mytho .. a yorkshire pudding pizza.
(looks quite nice to be honest)

View attachment 8244

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/02/morrisons_pizza_competition/

The idea might be to produce a dish with pizza ingredients but using batter as a cheaper base.

When my old dear goes out for lunch with her crinkly friends they often have a 'Sunday Lunch Yorkshire'. It's a giant Yorkshire pudding with beef, carrots, gravy etc served inside, flan-style. You can buy them frozen too.

It’s a bug, and a venomous one at that. They are a common pest in the USA.

Your car’s windscreen “blends” hundreds of thousands of bugs every year. Never used fly spray or ant powder?

maximus otter

No mate, I don't use fly spray or ant powder - and I try to dodge anything that's in my path. I realise that death in certain situations is inevitable but i don't set out to deliberately kill something.

Personal preference.

The idea might be to produce a dish with pizza ingredients but using batter as a cheaper base.

When my old dear goes out for lunch with her crinkly friends they often have a 'Sunday Lunch Yorkshire'. It's a giant Yorkshire pudding with beef, carrots, gravy etc served inside, flan-style. You can buy them frozen too.
I've had a few of those giant Yorkshire pud roast meals .. I used to eat them at a cafe near to where I was working when our work cafe had a crap choice on some days :dinner:

This was on Facebook a while ago, with the caption 'Your move, Waitrose!'
My comment was about Yorkshire being the natural home of our national dish.

Attachments

• pud.jpg
    pud.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
I had to verify that - holy guacamole, it exists!

I always wanted the gravy to get poured into my Yorkshire Puds as a kid...but I was told I was being 'common'.

I always wanted the gravy to get poured into my Yorkshire Puds as a kid...but I was told I was being 'common'.

That's strange as I was led to believe that t'Yorkshires were there to dull the appetite for the more expensive factors of the meal. Indeed, in some places they were reputedly served first with gravy as a starter.

I think Orwell describes these public-school appetite-breakers in one of his articles. "Such Were the Days," probably. :eek:

Yes, Orwell's name rings a bell there. It's not Wigan Pier is it? There's mention in there of how the man of a family would be given the water from cooking the vegetables to drink.

(When I was child I'd gladly drink the 'carrot watter' or 'tater watter'. Still do today, although it's not the same from the vegetable steamer!)

Yes, Orwell's name rings a bell there. It's not Wigan Pier is it? There's mention in there of how the man of a family would be given the water from cooking the vegetables to drink.

(When I was child I'd gladly drink the 'carrot watter' or 'tater watter'. Still do today, although it's not the same from the vegetable steamer!)
My grandma would take the water from the veg and add it to the gravy. She made the best gravy on the planet, it was chock-full of goodness.

That's strange as I was led to believe that t'Yorkshires were there to dull the appetite for the more expensive factors of the meal. Indeed, in some places they were reputedly served first with gravy as a starter.

When I think about the ingredients Esc, it leaves nothing to the imagination, does it...They served to bung us up, and then it was a case of a tablespoon of 'opening medicine' to unbung us (what a quaint name for a rather strident emetic), which left all us kids with 'eggy' burps.

Eggy Burps...how decidedly uncommon.

April is Exotic Meat Month at Bull City Burgers in Durham NC. You gotta win a daily lottery to get the featured item - a burger topped with a tarantula.

BullCity-TarantulaBurger.jpg

Would You Eat a Tarantula-Topped Burger?
... A burger restaurant in Durham, North Carolina, is offering a peculiar addition to its selection of toppings this month — alongside the usual array of cheeses, vegetables, sauces and other condiments, one special burger is presented topped by a tarantula.

The Tarantula Burger, prepared and served exclusively at Bull City Burger and Brewery during April, features a beef burger from local, pasture-raised cows, spicy chili sauce, gruyere cheese, and an oven-roasted tarantula (it is not specified whether the spider was pasture-raised), according to a description on the restaurant's website.

To participate in the so-called "2018 Tarantula Challenge," curious diners can sign up at Bull City Burger for a raffle ticket, which puts them in the running to win the signature sandwich. One winner is drawn daily and their ticket number is shared on social media; they then have 48 hours to contact the restaurant and schedule a time to devour their tarantula-topped prize.

The Tarantula Challenge is part of the restaurant's annual "Exotic Meat Month" celebration; taking place every April, it offers customers a chance "to experience tastes that other cultures enjoy every day," according to the Bull City Burger website. All month, customers can sample options that may include wild boar, alligator, caribou or ostrich, to name just a few.

For example, on April 9, the restaurant served up a piping hot camel burger, garnished with queso fresco and citrus cactus salad, while python curry was the daily special on April 10, and a rabbit meatball sub debuted on April 13. The Exotic Meat Month menu even offers a dessert option — homemade ice-cream studded with chocolate-covered insects.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/62298-tarantula-burger-challenge.html

Last edited:
April is Exotic Meat Month at Bull City Burgers in Durham NC You gotta win a daily lottery to get the featured item - a burger topped with a tarantula.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/62298-tarantula-burger-challenge.html
Even as a hardback-book-just-in-casecard-carrying arachnophobe, I share some of the distaste upthread at a live creature being blended. And then I look at the garnish on the burger, and wonder: just how does one humanely despatch a spider one has culinary designs upon?

I just went on holiday in Vietnam and saw lots and lots of dog on offer, mainly roast — so it's not just a racist UL. A woman I met who had pet dogs said she was scared for them, and that one day five dogs were stolen from the village by dog meat traders.

Even as a hardback-book-just-in-casecard-carrying arachnophobe, I share some of the distaste upthread at a live creature being blended. And then I look at the garnish on the burger, and wonder: just how does one humanely despatch a spider one has culinary designs upon?

I was wondering the same thing.

I think those big spiders are suffocated somehow, so they are undamaged when they end up on the plate.
I wouldn't eat one.

I ate tarantula (or similar large hairy spider - they looked like tarantula, but I don't know if they are indigenous to the area) in Cambodia. You can buy them in paper bags, barbecued, on street corners in Phnom Penh, and they taste like chicken. God's honest truth, they taste like chicken.

I ate tarantula (or similar large hairy spider - they looked like tarantula, but I don't know if they are indigenous to the area) in Cambodia. You can buy them in paper bags, barbecued, on street corners in Phnom Penh, and they taste like chicken. God's honest truth, they taste like chicken.
Texture? I should imagine a bit 'ewww'.

Back