• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

A man making spinach noodles .. impressive but not that strange in the east .

A youtube vlogger going by the name steve1989 like to buy old military ration packs, open them and eat them .. he has his own channel devoted to his risky hobby .. this one's from 1899 !

a red pepper and a red onion roasted for a while before the pudding mix goes in

Roasted vegetables in a Yorkshire Pudding batter seems like an excellent idea but make sure you polish it off in one sitting, as the acids in the veg may react with the tin, giving you a green, metallic taint, if left overnight! :willy:

Last edited:
Another steve1989 vintage army ration 'unboxing', this one a 1944 WW2 US Army meal for him to eat no doubt (I haven't watched this one yet but I expect he's going to go and eat it) ..

I'm having Toad in the Hole tonight.

Toulouse style sausages, a red pepper and a red onion roasted for a while before the pudding mix goes in. A bit of sage from the garden, tenderstem broccoli and gravy.

If you can't be arsed cooking, Aunt Bessie do a nice veggie toad in the hole with herb sausages.

Another steve1989 vintage army ration 'unboxing', this one a 1944 WW2 US Army meal for him to eat no doubt (I haven't watched this one yet but I expect he's going to go and eat it) ..

He's mad enough to eat unsafe food like that. He did eat a biscuit from the American Civil War once.

Cockroach Milk? Experts Call Insect Dairy The Next Superfood

Scientists say they have discovered the next superfood that’s a perfect non-dairy alternative. However, they may have a hard time getting people to try cockroach milk.

facts-about-cockroaches.jpg

Using a 2016 report on the benefits of insect dairy, scientists found that the Pacific Beetle cockroach of Hawaii possesses nutrient-filled milk crystals, which they use to feed their young. “A single crystal is estimated to contain more than three times the energy of an equivalent mass of dairy milk,” the report stated.

The study published in the Journal of the International Union of Crystallography also found that the milk-like superfood was full of amino acids and sugar-coated proteins, which makes this a natural gold mine for humans.

Some companies are already trying to get ahead of the trend by selling the bug juice in everything from milk to ice cream. “Think of Entomilk as a sustainable, nature-friendly, nutritious, lactose free, delicious, guilt-free dairy alternative of the future,” South African company Gourmet Grubb writes.

“Yes, there will be people who think [insects] are icky or have a yuck factor, but the ingredients are so versatile,” Jarrod Goldin of Canada’s Entomo Farms said, via Global News.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/05/25/insect-milk-dairy-superfood/

maximus otter

Steve1989 fast forwards us to 2015 ..

2015 UAE United Arab Emirates 24 Hour MRE Ration Pack Type C Taste Test Combat Ready Food Review

Steve1989 fast forwards us to 2015 ..

2015 UAE United Arab Emirates 24 Hour MRE Ration Pack Type C Taste Test Combat Ready Food Review

That's a pretty good ration pack, compared with others Steve has tested.

I'm wondering how many cockroaches you'd need to milk to get a pint.

If he's going to de skin, de bone and gut an alligator then I'm going to de skin, de bone and gut an alligator

Eating a frog that's still alive in a restaurant .. WARNING, eating a frog that's still alive in a restaurant

Just tried this:

https://www.suntory.com/softdrink/news/pr/article/SBF0570E.html
l_sbf0570-1.jpg

It's milk tea from Japan that is totally clear. It really does taste exactly like tea, and, looking at the ingredients, actually is tea, not flavoured water, so I'm flummoxed as to how they did it. Or why.

EDIT with a quote from the corporate website:

We aim to offer new value by proposing a way to spend enriched mornings on your way to having a wonderful day.

Prior to sales launch, we will conduct a marketing campaign based on the keyword “morning” and other communications activities to add excitement to the launch of Suntory Tennensui PREMIUM MORNING TEA Milk.

Just tried this:

https://www.suntory.com/softdrink/news/pr/article/SBF0570E.html
l_sbf0570-1.jpg

It's milk tea from Japan that is totally clear. It really does taste exactly like tea, and, looking at the ingredients, actually is tea, not flavoured water, so I'm flummoxed as to how they did it. Or why.

EDIT with a quote from the corporate website:
I'm guessing that most of the colour from tea is particulates. They've probably found that filtering leaves the taste behind while removing the coloured particulates. Interesting, that.

I have always had a problem with spiders. But while being repelled, I am also drawn to them, fascinated by something I find horrifying. Once, at a hostel in South Africa, I was alone in the TV room and watched a nature video they had about South American tarantulas. Unlike the small, Fortnum and Mason ones, these were the really big ones you think of. At one point, some tribesmen who venerate tarantulas, caught some and carried them around on their belts (legs tied up above, excess hairs blown off the body, as these are irritant if they get in your eyes or nose). At dinner time, they started to prepare them for cooking and I remember my arms and legs squirming as I sat watching, as if I would tie myself up in knots.

They killed the tarantulas by stabbing them in their exposed bellies with thorns. You could see one squirting something out its hind as this happened. Then they twisted off the round thorax as this would not be eaten (but if it was a pregnant female, they would squeeze out the green jelly eggs into a leaf, which would be folded up and placed next to the campfire, cooked up as a bonus omelette).

The tribesmen only ate the legs, it seemed. The program commentary said that one full sized tarantula would be enough for one person.
I may have seen the same documentary. I recall two details in particular, the first being the more minor - apparently the fangs are removed and kept within easy reach to be employed as toothpicks once the meal is done. But what really sticks in my mind is the poor, hapless shaman of the tribe, whose unhappy task it is to imbibe quantities of hallucinogenic fungi in order to open the mystical doorway between this dimension and that inhabited by the spider gods, whose favour he must invoke on behalf of his fellow tribesman. As someone who has always sworn off hallucinogens precisely because of arachnophobia ("don't think of the white bear!"), I cannot imagine a worse job.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

The latest probiotic drink: a baby poo smoothie:

It’s healthy, it’s organic, it already comes at a smoothie-like consistency — and it uses a resource that we would otherwise just throw away. What’s not to like about the latest promising probiotic supplement?

Well, there’s the fact that it comes out of a baby’s bottom.

Scientists have created a health “cocktail” made from scouring the nappies of infants and then culturing the bacteria they find within.

After testing the resulting drink on mice and on a simulation of the human gut, they claim it could help people with diseases such as diabetes and autoimmune disorders by improving their production of chemicals called short chain fatty acids.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/the-latest-probiotic-drink-a-baby-poo-smoothie-p3clssltn

maximus otter

Back