Strange Things As Food & Drink

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
It rolls pretty nicely off the tongue to pronounce it: "Squirrel Lasagna; Squirrel Lasagna; Squirrel Lasagna; ..."
London restaurant serves up gray squirrel lasagna
The chef at a London restaurant said he is catering to customers in search of "sustainable" proteins with a lasagna made with an unusual meat -- gray squirrel.

Ivan Tisdall-Downes, chef at Borough Market restaurant Native, said he struck a deal with his wild boar supplier to obtain the gray squirrel carcasses that would have gone to waste from culls of the invasive North American animals.

"Squirrel is one of the most sustainable proteins you can cook really. It is almost exactly the same in taste as rabbit," ...

"It's tasty, it's not as gamey as rabbit, it's nice white meat. It's good to cook down slowly and make stews from and ragus for lasagna," he said. "It's very good for you, it's quite lean."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...erves-up-gray-squirrel-lasagna/8691549306632/

Anome

Bibliomancer
The rumour I heard is that Grey Squirrel tastes OK, but Red Squirrel tastes horrible, so there's hope that eating them might help get Grey populations down in the UK.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The rumour I heard is that Grey Squirrel tastes OK, but Red Squirrel tastes horrible, so there's hope that eating them might help get Grey populations down in the UK.
Why would they taste so different? Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Why would they taste so different? Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.
Slightly different diets, different metabolism, all sorts of possible reasons. They're not that closely related to the introduced Grey Squirrels, or even the American Red Squirrel.

Or, as you say, it might just be propaganda put about by the Woodland Trust or somebody.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.
Indeed it is, and quite rightly so. Red squirrels are protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Grey squirrels are a destructive invasive pest species. Fortunately, they are also delicious. :reyes:

maximus otter

James_H

And I like to roam the land
It's a podcast that spent rather a lot of time in its most recent episode discussing cock ale. Seems an odd thing to just come up twice by coincidence.
I read about it on an old post on an home-brewing forum, I should check out the podcast though, it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Anome

Bibliomancer
When I was at school, for school outings, there was a ban on bringing soft drinks (ie soda, pop, fizzy drinks, etc), you were only allowed non-carbonated beverages. Some bright spark then announced that if you add milk to Coke, the teachers would think it was coffee so it was OK, and it tasted like a Coke Spider (effectively an ice cream float). I don't know if anyone tried it, at the time I was hopped up on Ribena and massively over-sugared tea. (Ribena was better for taking on outings, since it was easier to freeze it so it would melt during the day, and still be cold enough to drink, as opposed to taking a thermos of tea around, which would probably still not stay hot enough to drink.)

Also, I was listening to the podcast of Frank Skinner's radio show, and he said that when he was a lad, it was milk and lemonade, not milk and Coke, but he could understand how that might have changed.