• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Mythopoeika said:
I've eaten pretty much all the items mentioned in the DM article apart from Mussels.
I have decided to avoid such things, because so many people get food poisoning if it isn't fresh or cooked properly, and also because (be honest) the shells are a hassle and the contents look like snot.
I did once get food poisoning from mussels, but it was our own fault. We were cruising in a remote part of Scotland, and we found an old pier with loads of mussels growing on it. The water was very clean, so we picked loads, and ate them that evening - delicious, no problem!

Except we'd got so many, we had a bucket left over, and we decided to keep that for the next night. That was the big mistake - at the very least we should have changed the water in the bucket a few times. After the next meal of mussels, we were all ill, some worse than others. Happily we all recovered within 24 hours.

But it hasn't put me off mussels. Nowadays I'm more likely to eat those Dutch ones you get in jars, out of the shell. (I've also sailed in the Zeeland area, where they come from.) But the shells are no hassle - you use them as little scoops to get the meat out of the others!

Gordon Ramsay eats beating heart of a snake
Gordon Ramsay has been labelled "offensive" by animal welfare groups after eating the still-beating heart of a snake on television.
By Alastair Jamieson 8:30AM BST 15 May 2011

The Michelin-starred chef was filmed swallowing the raw cobra organ after watching the struggling creature being slit open at his table in a restaurant.
The scene was recorded in Vietnam, where eating snake is associated with virility and enhanced male sexual performance.

It will be shown on Channel 4 on Monday night as part of his new series Gordon's Great Escape.

Andrew Tyler, director of charity Animal Aid, said: "Clearly Gordon Ramsay is complicit in an act of cruelty to an animal, something that would be a criminal offence if it happened in Britain. Snakes can feel pain like any other animal and there is no excuse for this.
"His macho posturing, and this disgusting scene in particular, suggests he is insecure in his masculinity."

Kim LeBreuilly, chairman of the education committee at the British Herpetological Society, added: "The idea of treating any animal in this way, presumably just for the shock value, is offensive."

Ramsay, 44, has a five-year, £5m deal with the channel that is due to expire this summer. His F Word series average 3.5m viewers but the first episode of his current series attracted less than half that number. Last week, viewers saw him eating a raw duck foetus on a visit to Cambodia. :shock:

For the latest episode he was taken to a Ho Chi Minh eatery that serves reptiles including lizard, which according to his local guide "tastes like chicken".
The six foot cobra was taken from a tank and slit open, its heart removed and suspended in liquid in a glass where the organ was seen still beating.
"The thought of eating that turns my stomach," remarked Ramsay, before grimacing and downing the dish in one go.
He was warned that a snake's heart is often felt moving inside the stomach because it can continue to beat for several minutes after a snake has died.

The rest of the snake was then served, including a glass of bile, curried guts, chopped skin and fried bone.
"I think I'm going to become vegetarian," remarked Ramsay.

A spokesman for Channel 4 said: "The series is about authentic food throughout Asia and illustrates how local food is sourced as well as the local customs and rituals associated with it in each of the countries featured.
"Viewers are made aware before the start of the programme that some sequences feature animal slaughter so they know what to expect and the series is appropriately scheduled after the watershed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... snake.html

Can drinking donkeys' milk help you to stay in shape?
By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 8:28 AM on 27th May 2011

Fed up with skimmed milk and can’t stomach soya? Give donkeys’ milk a try.
Said to be the secret of Cleopatra’s flawless complexion, donkeys’ or asses’ milk also works wonders on waistlines, according to research.
And with high quantities of omega-3 oils and calcium, it may be better for the heart and help keep energy levels up throughout the day.

Previous research has also suggested the protein-rich drink might be a good alternative to cows’ milk for those with allergies, so donkeys’ milk could soon become the next big thing among the health-conscious who can’t bear to give up dairy.

In the latest study, Italian scientists gave rats either cows’ milk or asses’ milk to drink on top of their usual food.
While those given cows’ milk became heavier than normal rats, those drinking asses’ milk put on less weight.
They also had lower levels of blood fats and other fats that can damage the arteries and the heart.
And their mitochondria – the tiny batteries that power cells – were super-charged, turning food into energy at a fast pace.

Taken together, this suggests that the consumption of asses’ milk should be encouraged, the researchers told the International Congress on Obesity in Istanbul.

Previous Italian research has suggested that asses’ milk is a good alternative to cows’ milk for children with allergies.
However, those who are keen to give asses’ milk a try may have to be patient.
Although popular in Victorian times, it fell out of fashion and is not believed to currently be on sale anywhere in Britain, according to the Donkey Breed Society.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1NXjXvcR9

Chinese cuisine: anyone for sweet and sour puppy?
On a tour of China, Nigel Richardson wrestles with his conscience on the question of eating dog.
By Nigel Richardson
6:33PM BST 31 May 2011

Wherever you go in China, "Chinglish" – the transliteration of the Chinese languages into English – is a reliable if cheap source of amusement. And it's on restaurant menus that it tends to reach the apogee of absurdity. "Radish sauce secret system", anyone? "Crispy kingbee"? ....

But in Cloud 9 restaurant, in the tourist town of Yangshuo, the menus were written in English that was not open to misunderstanding. Dishes included "local style braised bamboo rat" and "garlic flavour braised dog meat in clay pot".
"Right, that's it," I said.

My partner thought I was about to make a scene, but she was wrong. I had decided to sign up for a cookery class, of which there were several on offer in Yangshuo. We had been travelling around China for three weeks by this point and had scarcely had a decent meal. I was sick of mocking from the sidelines. It was time to inform myself about a cuisine that can seem incomprehensible and downright revolting to ignorant Western palates.

[....]

Faced with non-English-speaking restaurants and incomprehensible menus, we tried to play it safe, but it almost always went wrong. I began to feel grumpy and xenophobic, questioning a collective palate that relishes preserved eggs, pickled vegetables and lamb's viscera for breakfast. And what was the deep-fried chicken gristle all about?

This "delicacy", served in an expensive, pretentious restaurant in Luoyang, was like chewing one's way through suppositories. But I'll admit it. The thing that turned my stomach – and quite possibly pre-biased me against every eating experience – was the dog question.

I had been relaxed about this before leaving home. I'm not a vegetarian and I didn't want to be a hypocrite. If it came up on a menu, I didn't have to order it, did I?

In the so-called Great Leap Forward of the late Fifties, food was so scarce that many Chinese people were reduced to eating earth and even each other. Jung Chang, in her biography Mao: The Unknown Story, calculates that in four years 38 million people died of starvation and overwork. With such a history, a nation is hardly likely to be choosy about what it eats.

So the idea of people eating dog meat did not faze me. Then I saw some dogs in a cage. We were on the sacred Buddhist mountain of Wutai Shan and my first thought, when we passed the cage containing three saucer-eyed puppies, was that, of course, a site of Buddhist pilgrimage was exactly the sort of place that would attract animal lovers eager to buy a pet.

Doh! They weren't for sale as pets. I looked back. The cage was out in the blazing sunlight and the puppies had no water to drink. That image stayed with me, turning meals to ashes on my tongue.

For the final week of the trip we headed south to the tourist town of Yangshuo amid its famous landscape of limestone karst peaks. Seeing dog on the menu in that restaurant triggered something. I wanted an entry point to the promised world of art, play and obsession from which I had so far been shut out. Maybe at the same time I would scrape my pathetic squeamishness and hypocrisy into the moral pedal bin once and for all.

The next morning I met my teacher, Xie Jing Ju (Jenny to tourists), outside Yangshuo's huge covered market. The idea was that she would give me a tour of the local produce before we bought the ingredients for our cookery lesson.

[...]

We started in the fruit-and-veg section ("This one we call leg melon. Because it looks like a leg. This one we call smelly vegetable. Because…").
Then she asked an apparently innocent question: "Is this your first time in China?"
"No."
"Ah. I thought you had been before." I was just flattering myself on evidently appearing well travelled when she added: "So you are OK with the dog area?"
Here it was, my chance finally to stand up to my own feebleness.
I swallowed. Seconds ticked by. Then I said: "No. I'm not OK with the dog area."
"So you're a vegetarian?"
"Yes," I lied. "I'm a vegetarian." 8)

Ingredients bought, we drove out to Chaolong village, tucked among those conical peaks. Jenny told me that Chinese cooking aims to marry the spiciness of yang with the cooling of yin. Then, in a state-of-the-art kitchen located in an outhouse, she taught me to cook three dishes: tofu, dried mushroom, spring onion, goji berry, dates and ginseng, steamed in a bamboo steamer; dumplings like mini omelettes stuffed with potato, carrot, mint and oyster sauce; and aubergine with garlic, ginger, spring onion, oyster sauce and soy sauce.

Afterwards I ate them, feeling a mixture of relief and shame at my cowardice. They were delicious, though, the best food I had eaten in China. I finally understood what the fuss was all about, even if I'd done the cooking myself.

"Yummy!" said Jenny.
Then she asked about my job and I said it wasn't always as great as people assumed.
"Miss home?" she asked.
"Miss my dog," I said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... puppy.html

Shop told to stop selling cicada flavour ice cream - although it sold out in hours
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:03 AM on 8th June 2011

With large parts of the U.S. thick with swarms of cicadas, one ice cream shop came up with a novel idea for turning a pest into a profit.
But a public health official soon stepped in to slap a ban on the insect flavoured ice cream - even though customers loved it.

Sparky's Homemade Ice Cream in Columbia, Missouri, got through its only batch of the insect-flavoured dessert within hours of unveiling it on June 1.
Several U.S. states are currently dealing with vast swarms of cicadas, which only emerge from the soil every 13 to 17 years to mate.
This gave staff at Sparky's plenty of raw ingredients to work with, and they even collected the bugs from their back gardens.

After removing the insects' wings, they boiled them and covered them in brown sugar and milk chocolate.
They then added the bugs to a sugar and butter flavoured base ice cream.
According to Sparky's staff, the bugs have an almond-like taste, and are very crunchy.

Jonathan Hammos, a worker at Sparky's, told KSDK.com: 'We try to kind of do things that are out of the ordinary.'
Customers seemed to approve, and the first batch was snapped up within hours.

Sparky's workers were all set to make more, until a quick check with health officials scuppered their plans.
'Before we made a second batch we thought, "bug ice cream?" We should get this checked out,' said Mr Hammos.
'[The environmental health department] said: "We really advise you against serving bugs in your ice cream."'

Gerry Worley, an environmental health chief with the Columbia County Department of Public Health, said the agency's food code 'doesn't directly address cicadas'.
He advised against their use as an ingredient. However, all is not lost for Sparky's novel new flavour.
Public health officials spoken to by KDSK.com said that if Sparky's find a certified supplier of cicadas to put in their ice cream, they will sign off on its sale.
Treble scoops all round!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1OgbXUoWk

Durian Creme Biscuits

I just thought i'd share with everyone that I found these in the local chinese supermarket and after about 2 decades of being rampantly curious to try durian but not wanting to buy the whole rugby ball sizes thing for about £25, decided this was a nice opportunity.

They are nasty beyond belief. Smell like a tramp that's been dead for 2 weeks and fermented in a septic tank. I mean really, I would not have believed something could smell this bad, it has redefined nasty smells for me.

Actually taste quite nice in a weird sort of way and you stop smelling it while youre eating it, but sort of feels like it smells in my stomach now... really, do not try unless you want to feel
puking.gif
for the rest of the evening.

I was once offered some durian, after years of wondering what they were like. However, shortly after it was cut into, I started gagging, and couldn't stay in the same room.

I was initially worried that I would react to it more out of expectation than the reality, but for the first 30 seconds or so it didn't bother me. About long enough for the full whiff to get to me, I suppose.

The other people there didn't seem to mind, and quite liked it.

Yes, I had somehow imagined the taste must be bloody amazing to be worth getting over the smell for, but sadly not, and it repeats on you for the rest of the evening with little bursts of the smell popping up into your mouth. :eek:

They are nasty beyond belief. Smell like a tramp that's been dead for 2 weeks and fermented in a septic tank.

Yum. 8)

Bet you won't be trying that again in a hurry.

Remember - what goes in, comes out. Open all the windows when you next take a dump.

:lol:

I had some durian jelly, similar to membrillo but in a sausage - that was ok, but it's a very strange flavour, a bit savoury.

Soggy biscuit game with a durian creme might be the stuff of nightmares. :twisted:

The packet is on the garden path now after the clothes peg wasn;t enough to seal it, may just leave it there until I get round to binning it.

Why do you go to that supermarket?

The last one was some intestine thang, (with video IIRC) now this!!!

There's expanding your palate, then there's oral masochism.

Then again, "Come dine with me" beckons.
:twisted:

'Oral masochism'?

Don't set her off. :roll:

Why do you go to that supermarket?

lol they're not all unpleasant surprises, the sweet bean cakes were ok, the lychee jelly was rather nice and the hawthorn candy was, um, strange but not actually bad.

mostly go in for ramen noodles at 4 packets for £1 :lol: and then decide to try something 'interesting' while i'm there.

this little adventure may well put me off of funky food for a while. :lol:

There´s a reason durians aren´t allowed on airplanes.

Why not try some grass juice next time you´re in the Chinese supermarket, it´s rather good.

Sweet tamarind pop in a can is quite nice too!

The biscuits are still on my path... i have not yet decided whether to sling them or double bag them in case they come in useful for mischievous purposes at some point in the future. :lol:

The Chinese shop nearest me sells live eels! They live in a polystyrene box with an air filter in it.

This all sounds like some hideous leavings of a Toff school 'biscuit game' marketed and sold by contestants on The Apprentice.

I'll have two boxes. I have to bring in some goodies for 'Performance-related Work-Cake Friday' next week.

Man give[n] caution for shooting rooks for human consumption
A man has been cautioned for shooting rooks and supplying them to restaurants, police said.
By Andrew Hough
10:00PM BST 05 Aug 2011

The 45 year-old, who has not been named, was arrested after the Taverner's restaurant in Godshill, Isle of Wight, was discovered to have started serving rook salad.

Yesterday, officials confirmed the man, from Ryde, Isle of Wight, had been issued with a caution following a joint investigation Natural England and Hampshire Police.
The man was arrested in June on suspicion of committing a number of offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Rooks and other wild birds, except wood pigeons, are legally protected and their sale for human consumption is illegal.
Rooks can, however, be controlled under special circumstances under a General Licence issued by Natural England.

The investigation found the man shot up to 30 fledgling rooks and sold them to a meat wholesaler, who sold them on to the restaurant for human consumption.
He faced a maximum £5000 fine and a jail sentence of up to six months for each bird shot.

Officials said advice letters had been sent to the wholesaler, who has also not been named, and local restaurant owners requesting they stop selling the rooks immediately.

In May bird conservationists for people to boycott the Taverner's restaurant after it started serving the salad.
The Taverner's chef-proprietor Roger Serjent, 40, whose gastro-pub has been featured in the Michelin Eating-Out Guide, said yesterday that he had bought the rook in good faith from a local butcher, who [he] did not want to name.
“From my perspective we bought it completely innocently from the butcher,” he said. “Afterwards we found out it was not legal. I had a lot of hate mail over it so I just want it to go away now.”
He declined to comment further.

Paul Cantwell, Natural England’s Species Enforcement Officer, said: “Like all wild birds, rooks are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and their sale for human consumption – with the single exception of the wood pigeon – is illegal.
“While the control of rooks is allowed under some circumstances, the sale of wild birds is restricted because we would not want to encourage their killing, purely to supply a demand for human consumption and trade.”

Insp Terry Clawson, from Hampshire police’s Isle of Wight Safer Neighbourhoods programme, said police treated such cases seriously.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... ption.html

Russian army 'dog food whisteblower' Matveyev jailed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14858858

A Russian army major who alleged his men had been fed dog food has been jailed for four years for beating up two soldiers in a separate case.

Igor Matveyev was immediately arrested and sent to serve his sentence after the trial in the far eastern city of Vladivostok.

Matveyev said the case against him had been fabricated after he posted videos of allegedly re-labelled dog food.

He said it had been substituted for food stolen from his soldiers.

His defence lawyer said she would appeal against the verdict of the military tribunal.

Just two days before the verdict, Matveyev, a major in the Russian interior troops, told the BBC's Russian Service he was innocent but expected to be unjustly convicted.

Russia is plagued by corruption and fears have grown in the past decade that the security forces have become a law unto themselves.

Bloggers reacted angrily to Friday's verdict, which was one of the themes most discussed on the Russian internet. "From dog food to lawlessness," wrote one, while another wrote that it was "jail for the one who talked about the dog food, not the one who gave it to soldiers to eat".

'Tinned beef'
The major was sent to the reserves immediately after he posted the videos online in May, addressing himself to President Dmitry Medvedev.

The beating case, in which he was accused of assaulting two non-commissioned officers, was launched shortly afterwards.

Matveyev was stripped of his rank and banned from working for the state for three years as part of his sentence, Interfax news agency reports.

Military officials have denied Matveyev's allegations which centre on the claim that dog food was re-labelled as ordinary tinned meat and supplied to his garrison.

In one video, he shows a large warehouse of cardboard boxes appearing to contain tinned food.

At one point, he holds up a tin marked "beef". Under the torn label can be seen a different one, which he says is dog food.

The major accused his military superiors of allowing theft and corruption to flourish in his garrison.

Military officials in the region confirmed that some abuses had taken place but said they had been dealt with before Matveyev posted his videos.

In court, the regional commander of interior troops, Viktor Strigunov, denied any soldiers had been fed dog food.

An attempt by Matveyev's unit to sue him in a civilian court was rejected.

had some quorn "fish" fingers yesterday.

they were pretty f**ing weird.

I had Korean pork bone soup for lunch. The strange thing is you'll be trying to prise a piece of pork off one piece of backbone, only to have another part of your soup bowl wiggle as it's all a bit connected.

Over 10,000 of man's best friends fattened for dog meat festival
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 95180.html
CLIFFORD COONAN in Beijing

Fri, Sep 16, 2011

VILLAGERS IN eastern China are fattening up thousands of dogs ahead of the annual dog meat festival in Hutou, which is due to take place next month. During three days over 10,000 dogs will be killed and eaten.

The photographs from Hutou are grim.

In one scene, cooked dogs hang from skewers at a roadside stall, while in another a butcher uses a forceps-like instrument to kill the dog. It is then placed into a bloody vat.

The Chinese have eaten dog for 7,000 years and it is widely believed to have medicinal qualities, such as an ability to lower blood pressure, as well as boosting virility.

In the northeast, people believe it helps keep the body warm during the freezing winter months.

According to local legend, the festival marks the time when the founder and first emperor of the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), Zhu Yuanzhang, laid siege to a site near Jinhua, but every time they attacked, dogs would bark and give them away.

So they stealthily killed all the dogs and overran the town, after which they feasted on dog for three days.

The scenes from Hutou are at odds with the image of a dynamic China embracing modernity and reaping the benefits of economic growth. And opposition to eating dog meat is growing in China.

“After seeing the photos from Hutou, I can’t tell which are the humans and which are the dogs. A dog is always a dog, but humans are not always human,” posted dog lover Qianyi 2046.

However, dog meat eaters are a vocal lobby too. Many cite western practices such as eating foie gras or kangaroos in Australia as examples of equal barbarity.

“There are more pigs than dogs eaten every day, why don’t you post a message to save the pigs,” wrote commentator Porket SD.

“You have too much love, but people have to make a living from this. Will you pay their salary if they lose their livelihood? This is their tradition, why do you think they should change it,” wrote another.

As it stands, there are no laws banning animal cruelty or killing animals for food in China, a country in which famine is still in many people’s living memory and is less sentimental than the West when it comes to how our fellow creatures are treated.

Dogs as pets are not eaten, and dog meat is illegal in Hong Kong but still widely available on the mainland, featuring prominently in the cuisines of Yunnan, Jiangsu and Guizhou. The ancient philosopher Mencius recommended dog as the “tastiest of all meats”.

ramonmercado said:
Over 10,000 of man's best friends fattened for dog meat festival
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 95180.html
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: eating puppy meat is no worse than pork
TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has declared that eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
6:30AM BST 11 Oct 2011

The River Cottage star has spent more than five months being a vegetarian for his latest series of the TV show and has penned non-meat recipes for a new cookbook.

Fearnley-Whittingstall, 46, has eaten placenta pate, curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles in the past. :shock:
Asked whether he would try loin of Labrador or cat liver, he told the Radio Times: ''Not unless I was on the point of starvation.
''In principle, but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy farm.
''You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision, to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs.
''Both animals could be used the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion.''

Asked whether his vegetarianism was a gimmick to write another book in his £1.9 million publishing deal, he told the magazine:
''That money is for a series of eight or nine River Cottage handbooks, which I don't write, so the money is shared.
''But I don't think we're gimmicky. I started by looking at where food came from, rearing our animals and growing our food.''

The chef, who has campaigned for sustainable fish and has highlighted issues surrounding the mass production of chickens, said: ''That's what we're still doing. I hope we have an influence and like to think we're driving the agenda.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... -pork.html

He's right.
There's not a lot to stop us eating dogs, really. I guess the main qualm is 'don't puppies look cute'.
But then...piglets look 'cute' too.

Back