• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Mythopoeika said:
He's right.
There's not a lot to stop us eating dogs, really. I guess the main qualm is 'don't puppies look cute'.
But then...piglets look 'cute' too.

Speak for yerself.

When I see a piglet, I have a Homer moment and I don't compose poetry.

ramonmercado said:
Mythopoeika said:
He's right.
There's not a lot to stop us eating dogs, really. I guess the main qualm is 'don't puppies look cute'.
But then...piglets look 'cute' too.

Speak for yerself.

When I see a piglet, I have a Homer moment and I don't compose poetry.

'Homer' as in 'Simpson'?

'Mmmmm....piglets!'

I thought of posting this amusing picture under Jokes and Humour - but it also fits here!

You've goat to be joking! Nine animals clamber up same tree in search of tasty treat
By Hugo Gye
Last updated at 8:40 PM on 2nd November 2011

This extraordinary picture shows the animal world's equivalent of a gold rush - the quest for the fruit of the argan tree.
Goats are so desperate for the tasty meal that they will even climb tall trees to get to it.
But the fruit is hard to come by, which leads to extraordinary scenes like this, where nine goats are perching on the branches of a single 17-foot-high tree.

And with two dozen more eagerly gathered in anticipation of their turn on the tree, the exasperated goatherd pictured in the background is in for a long wait.

Photographer Gavin Oliver, 38, pulled over to the side of the road to take a snap after spotting the strange scene near the Todra Gorge in Morocco.
He said: 'There were about 30 goats, with the ones in the tree already in place when we were driving past.
'I caught the tree out of the corner of my eye but at first didn't really take in exactly what it was I was looking at. I then just yelled "pull over" to my friend who was driving.
'The tree branches were bobbing up and down under the weight of the goats every time they moved, the way a fishing rod does when there's a fish pulling on the other end of the line.'

Gavin, from the Blue Mountains, near Sydney, Australia, added: 'The herd of goats were being looked after by a young teenage shepherd, who you can just make out behind the tree.
'After I took this photo, I tried to talk to the shepherd but we didn't have more than ten words in common, so we got in our car and drove on.'

Goats climb argan trees in order to eat their black olive-like fruits.
When they have digested the flesh of the fruit, the argan nut passes through the goats' system and is then gathered and turned in to argan oil.
This oil, a litre of which can take up to 20 hours to make, fetches a high price as a culinary delicacy and a cosmetic product

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1cdYC8DxA

:D

But remind me never to use anything containing argan oil....

Timble2 said:
:D

But remind me never to use anything containing argan oil....
The 'passing through goats' is not apparently necessary:
Argan oil is produced by several women's co-operatives in the southwestern parts of Morocco. The most labour-intensive part of oil-extraction is removal of the soft pulp (used to feed animals) and the cracking by hand, between two stones, of the hard nut. The seeds are then removed and gently roasted. This roasting accounts for part of the oil's distinctive, nutty flavour.

The traditional technique for oil extraction is to grind the roasted seeds to paste, with a little water, in a stone rotary quern. The paste is then squeezed by hand in order to extract the oil. The extracted paste is still oil-rich and is used as animal feed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argan

I've invented a few economy meals, but I never thought of this!

Toast sandwich is UK's 'cheapest meal'

Britain's 'cheapest' lunchtime meal was unveiled by scientists on Wednesday - the toast sandwich.
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is reviving the mid-Victorian dish, which, unsurprisingly, consists of two slices of bread around a slice of toast.
The society is so confident in the repast, it will offer £200 to anyone who can create a cheaper alternative.

The meal, costing 7.5 pence, was first promoted by Victorian food writer Mrs Beeton.
It is taken from Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management which became a best-seller after its appearance 150 years ago next month.
To celebrate that anniversary, the RSC decided to focus on meals that reflected "stern days" to come in Britain, rather than one of the book's many "table-groaning creations".

The meal was recreated by a chef at the RSC on Wednesday and offered to people outside their London offices.
The RSC's Dr John Emsley said: "You simply put a piece of dry toast between two slices of bread and butter, with salt and pepper to taste. I've tried it and it's surprisingly nice to eat and quite filling.
"I would emphasise that toast sandwiches are also good at saving you calories as well as money, provided you only have one toast sandwich for lunch and nothing else."
The toast sandwich provides about 330 calories, and consumers could opt for the healthier alternative of margarine instead of butter - an ingredient not available to Mrs Beeton because she was writing her book before it was invented.

"Of course, when we finally emerge from these dark days we will seek something more celebratory from Mrs Beeton's pantheon of rich recipes to welcome back the good times," Dr Emsley added.

RSC employee Jon Edwards said: "In my student days I thought a meal of '9p noodles' from Tesco was the epitome of thrift - but a toast sandwich is tastier, quicker, has more calories and comes in at just 7.5p."
Mr Edwards added that the 21st Century version of the toast sandwich is healthier than the one from Mrs Beeton's era because of the vitamins and minerals - such as calcium - that are added to bread today.

British Dietetic Association spokeswoman Melissa Little said there were ways to make the toast sandwich much better for not that much more money.
Ms Little said: "You can add an egg for 8p, it's not much and it would give you some protein and keep you fuller for longer - and it would make it taste much better.
"Half a can of sardines for 19p would provide good fats, you would get some fish, and again make you feel fuller for longer.
"Even adding some vegetables, such as cucumbers or carrots - would give you some more nutrients."

She suggested the exercise did highlight that people are struggling to pay for grocery bills and looking for alternatives.
The more people talk about making healthy meals for less money, the better informed people would be, she said.

The first instalment of of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was published in 1861.
It sold over 60,000 copies in its first year of publication and nearly two million by 1868.
As well as recipes the book contained advice on household management, childcare, etiquette, entertaining and the employment of servants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15752918

My cheapest meal, during times of desperation, has been a sauce sandwich.

Mythopoeika said:
My cheapest meal, during times of desperation, has been a sauce sandwich.
H.P. sauce, of course! :D

I wouldn't believe this if I hadn't seen it, the chinese eat live fish.

do a youtube search on "Eating Live Fish in Shanghai"

It's a bit gross, skinning, frying and then serving the fish, its still alive when it gets to the table.

Would the toast sandwich article work in the credit crunch thread? :lol:

Another one that should be cheap is a "Sugar Butty". Two slices of bread, with or without spread/butter. Sprinkle sugar on bottom slice, add top slice, eat. Even more economical if you pinch the sachets of sugar from a cafe/canteen. You may need to crush sugar cubes.

The more upmarket form is Fairy Bread. Which may have been mentioned earlier on this thread. (It was mentioned somewhere.)

Hardly as cheap as toast, or even sugar, since hundreds and thousands can be a bit pricy, and aren't handed out free at many establishments.

Anome_ said:
The more upmarket form is Fairy Bread. Which may have been mentioned earlier on this thread. (It was mentioned somewhere.)

Hardly as cheap as toast, or even sugar, since hundreds and thousands can be a bit pricy, and aren't handed out free at many establishments.

I've never heard of that before. Nice.

I'm a bit late to this, but I tried cooking something new for dinner tonight and it took ages so to pass the time I tried this toast sandwich. It tasted OK, what you'd expect it to taste of, but it's pretty stodgy and I didn't finish it because it was putting me off my actual, forthcoming meal. So it turned out to be a waste of 3p when I put about half of it in the bin.

I need to get a sandwich toaster again at some point.

Found my ex-lodger's one in the cellar some time ago, but when I used it most of the teflon came off on the sandwich. :shock:

I saw this on my friends Facebook the other day, I thought for sure it was a joke but it looks like a real cook book. I searched around and found some scanned pages and there are recipes for Irish Coffee with extra cream (lol), high protein smoothies, BBQ sauce and oysters. I am not a cook so I am not sure how much 1-3 tablespoons of seman looks like, is that alot? It sounds like a lot.

Natural Harvest - A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes

Semen is not only nutritious, but it also has a wonderful texture and amazing cooking properties. Like fine wine and cheeses, the taste of semen is complex and dynamic. Semen is inexpensive to produce and is commonly available in many, if not most, homes and restaurants. Despite all of these positive qualities, semen remains neglected as a food. This book hopes to change that. Once you overcome any initial hesitation, you will be surprised to learn how wonderful semen is in the kitchen. Semen is an exciting ingredient that can give every dish you make an interesting twist. If you are a passionate cook and are not afraid to experiment with new ingredients - you will love this cook book!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/n ... es/5198959

paranoid420 said:
I saw this on my friends Facebook the other day, I thought for sure it was a joke but it looks like a real cook book. I searched around and found some scanned pages and there are recipes for Irish Coffee with extra cream (lol), high protein smoothies, BBQ sauce and oysters. I am not a cook so I am not sure how much 1-3 tablespoons of seman looks like, is that alot? It sounds like a lot.

Natural Harvest - A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes

Semen is not only nutritious, but it also has a wonderful texture and amazing cooking properties. Like fine wine and cheeses, the taste of semen is complex and dynamic. Semen is inexpensive to produce and is commonly available in many, if not most, homes and restaurants. Despite all of these positive qualities, semen remains neglected as a food. This book hopes to change that. Once you overcome any initial hesitation, you will be surprised to learn how wonderful semen is in the kitchen. Semen is an exciting ingredient that can give every dish you make an interesting twist. If you are a passionate cook and are not afraid to experiment with new ingredients - you will love this cook book!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/n ... es/5198959

:shock: :shock: :shock:

paranoid420 said:
I am not a cook so I am not sure how much 1-3 tablespoons of seman looks like, is that alot? It sounds like a lot.
Well, the average ejaculation iis about 5 mls.

A tablespoon is about 15 mls.

So, you're talking 3 to 9...err ...ahem...

Does it discuss the correct way to harvest? Or any approved diet notes for pre-harvesting? I've seen those recipes. They involve a lot of pineapple juice.

Anome_ said:
paranoid420 said:
I am not a cook so I am not sure how much 1-3 tablespoons of seman looks like, is that alot? It sounds like a lot.
Well, the average ejaculation iis about 5 mls.

A tablespoon is about 15 mls.

So, you're talking 3 to 9...err ...ahem...

Does it discuss the correct way to harvest? Or any approved diet notes for pre-harvesting? I've seen those recipes. They involve a lot of pineapple juice.

I've been reliably informed that it tastes somewhat like mushrooms - unfortunately she didn't like mushrooms!

Can't imagine that going well with pineapple juice - or anything else for that matter!

Given that it's such a delicacy, you'd think more of them would get it into their mouths. But hurrying on . . .

quote:

Li Shuiqi’s Simple Scorpion Soup
30-40 live scorpions
¼ lb. fresh pork, cut into small pieces
1 large Chinese garlic bulb, peeled and sliced
½ cup vegetable oil
Fresh ginger root, sliced
Salt and pepper
1 quart water
Handful dried Chinese dates (jujubes)
Handful dried red box berries
1 large carrot, chopped into small pieces

Wash scorpions in fresh water and set aside. Mix pork with garlic and set aside. Heat oil in large wok. Stir-fry scorpions for 20 seconds. Add pork and garlic mixture, ginger, salt, and pepper. Stir-fry briefly. Slowly add water. Add dates (jujubes), box berries, and carrots, and simmer for 40 minutes over low heat. Serve hot. [21]

end quote

If you substituted, say, prawns for scorpions, no one would bat an eyelid at seeing that recipe in a modern book, though it is over 2.000 years old.

It is from an intriguing page on the Chinese Lady Tai or Dai, whose "mummy" was discovered in 1972. Reading about the perfect state of her preservation led me to see if I could find photos and there is one on the page. I would have put this with Mummy stuff, except the writer here is convinced that Lady Dai was never mummified, owing her preservation to her diet, which included a caterpiller fungus which takes over the body of the host. I think we have a thread on the Japanese living mummification process somewhere, which may be related.

Some curious English on this page but it's well-worth reading:

http://asianart.com/articles/ladydai/index.html

:)

Edit: Prawns comment added. Quote indicated.

Deep fried butter served up in Scotland
After the success of the deep fried Mars Bar, chefs in Scotland have devised the ultimate high-calorie snack with deep fried butter balls.
By Donna Bowater
7:23AM GMT 21 Dec 2011

The dessert, made from frozen balls of butter and given a Scottish twist with Irn Bru batter, is already popular in the US.
Described as a "heart attack on a plate", the chefs at The Fiddler's Elbow in Edinburgh, serve the sticky treat with Irn Bru ice cream and coulis.
For those wanting an even more potent version of the dish, called Braveheart Butter Bombs, a variation with whisky batter is also available.

The creation was devised by Simon Robertson, head chef, and Paul Fitchie, a former chef with Harvey Nichols.
Mr Robertson said: "We thought we'd add a bit of fun to our menu of Scottish dishes and it's really got people talking.
"Some folk are saying it's a heart attack on a plate and, okay, it's not exactly health food but as long as you're not having it every day it shouldn't be any problem."

It is believed to be the first time deep fried butter has been on the menu in Scotland. It first emerged as a snack at the Iowa State Fair in the US earlier this year.
Nutritionists said its estimated calorie content was 1,450 – enough to keep an adult alive in the Arctic for a week. :shock:

Oliver Scott, who runs The Fiddler's Elbow, said: "It might not be too nutritious but it's definitely delicious.
"We've been trying it out on volunteers who are loving it. It actually tastes lighter than you'd expect, it's a bit like eating a banana fritter but nicer and obviously a bit naughtier.
"We hope it will help cheer people up in a time of gloom.
"We know that when things are tough economically people like to treat themselves to a little comfort food and this is the ultimate indulgence – so long as people don't overdo it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... tland.html

Nutritionists said its estimated calorie content was 1,450 – enough to keep an adult alive in the Arctic for a week. :shock:
That's not right!

The daily recommended amount of calories for a normal woman is about 2,000.

Arctic rations are somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000, if I remember rightly.

It still sounds revolting, though (And I like butter).

Reading the comments below it there is so much bigoted rubbish spouted by both English and Scottish folk, it is really quite pathetic.

Back