• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

what about yew berries?

a very toxic tree, but the red berries are harmless (bird love them)

the seeds are dangerous though. you remove those.

I have several friends who are crazy for them. (nasty sticky sweet things)

Taxine poison has not antidote yet, though.

First cheese, now ice cream...

Breast milk ice cream goes on sale in Covent Garden

A restaurant in London's Covent Garden is serving a new range of ice cream, made with breast milk.
The dessert, called Baby Gaga, is churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela.
Mrs Hiley, 35, said if adults realised how tasty breast milk was more new mothers would be encouraged to breastfeed.
Each serving of Baby Gaga at Icecreamists costs £14. :shock:

Mrs Hiley's donation was expressed on site and pasteurised before being churned with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest.
Icecreamists founder Matt O'Connor placed an advert appealing for breast milk donations and believes his new recipe will be a success.
"If it's good enough for our children, it's good enough for the rest of us," he said.
"Some people will hear about it and go yuck - but actually it's pure organic, free-range and totally natural."

Mrs Hiley, who gets £15 for every 10 ounces of milk she donates to the company, said it was a great "recession beater".
"What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?" she added.
"I teach women how to get started on breastfeeding their babies. There's very little support for women and every little helps."

Mr O'Connor said 14 other women had come forward to offer their services. Health checks for the lactating women were the same used by hospitals to screen blood donors.
"No-one's done anything interesting with ice cream in the last hundred years," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

Baby Gaga breast milk ice cream seized for safety tests

Ice cream made from breast milk has been removed from a central London restaurant on health grounds following complaints by members of the public.
The dessert, called Baby Gaga, went on sale at ice cream parlour Icecreamists in Covent Garden in February.
But Westminster Council officers removed the product to make sure it was "fit for human consumption".

Icecreamist founder Matt O'Connor said the donor was medically screened and the milk mixture was pasteurised.

The ice cream was churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela. :shock: Each serving costs £14.

Westminster council said it had received two complaints from members of the public and concerns were raised by the Health Protection Agency and Food Standards Agency.

Tory Westminster Councillor Brian Connell said: "Selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and, in this case, potentially hepatitis.
"As the local authority we will support small businesses and applaud innovative ideas wherever possible, but must protect the health of consumers."

Mr O'Connor, said: "We have had an amazing response - many women have come forward and offer to give us milk.
"You can buy alcohol and tobacco but not breast milk in Westminster.
"If Westminster bans this then I am going to begin a protest with mums who have already shown support."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12615353

Breast milk ice cream is a step too far! What's next? Cannibalism?! Cats and dogs living together?!

Is it just me or does all this Bernard Righton stuff happen in London? Try opening a breast milk ice cream bar in Burnley (for example) and see how much business you get. What next, knitted yoghurt.

Could that be because London is larger than other cities, and more diverse than other cities, and so is more likely to have a sustainable market for the eccentric stuff?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
rynner2 said:
Baby Gaga breast milk ice cream seized for safety tests

Ice cream made from breast milk has been removed from a central London restaurant on health grounds following complaints by members of the public.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12615353
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I used to drink it, straight from the tap.

The big pink, squishy tap? You were young then. :p

A bizarre twist to the tale

Lady Gaga takes on Baby Gaga in breast milk ice-cream battle
US singer threatens legal action against London store asking it to stop selling its latest, 'nausea inducing', product
Owen Bowcott guardian.co.uk, Friday 4 March 2011 19.43 GMT

The planet's most flamboyantly dressed pop star is threatening legal action against British manufacturers of the world's most bizarrely flavoured ice-cream.
Lady Gaga has told a store in Covent Garden, central London, to stop selling its latest brand, Baby Gaga – ice-cream made from human breast milk, blended with vanilla pods and lemon.

The US singer, whose last entanglement with foodstuffs involved wearing a dress stitched together from raw meat to an awards ceremony, appears unaware that the product she complained about disappeared off the company's shelves last week.

The day after it went on sale inspectors from Westminster council's food standards department confiscated the remaining scoops of Baby Gaga to check whether it met hygiene requirements.

Matt O'Connor, owner of the newly opened Icecreamists parlour, said he felt like a man "wielding two spoons engaged in hand-to-hand combat". Lady Gaga's letter, he said, "described me as the 'controlling mind' behind the ice-cream, which makes me sound like Blofeld, in a James Bond movie, bent on global domination. 8)

"A global superstar has taken umbrage at what she describes as a 'nausea-inducing' product. This from a woman with a penchant for wearing rotting cows' flesh. At least our customers are still alive when they contribute to our 'art'. :twisted:

"She claims we have 'ridden the coattails' of her reputation. As someone who has … recycled on an industrial scale the entire back catalogue of pop culture to create her look, music and videos, she might want to reconsider this allegation.

"How can she possibly claim ownership of the word 'gaga' which since the dawn of time has been one of the first discernable phrases to come from a baby's mouth?"

O'Connor said the costumes used in the ice-cream parlour were a reference to "Madonna's Jean-Paul Gaultier designed conical brassiere for the 1990 Blonde Ambition Tour (which itself was inspired by 1950's cone bras). It had no relation to the Lady herself."

Westminster council said it had removed the ice-cream because "selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and, in this case, potentially hepatitis".

O'Connor dismissed that claim, too. The woman who donated the breast milk, he said, "is a registered blood donor. So she has been screened both by us and a clinic."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/ma ... -ice-cream

Perhaps Queen should sue Lady Gaga for misappropriating one of their song titles... ;)

rynner2 said:
"A global superstar has taken umbrage at what she describes as a 'nausea-inducing' product. This from a woman with a penchant for wearing rotting cows' flesh. At least our customers are still alive when they contribute to our 'art'. :twisted:

Yeah! Twist the knife!!! :twisted:

Lady GaGa? Who'd have thought the silly old moo was such a prude?

I smell a case of BS bandwagon jumping. Milking a potential cash cow for some publicity. :lol:

I suspect this is more due to Lady Gaga's "people" than Lady G herself. She is a brand now, after all.

As someone in the Guardian comments pointed out, Matt O'Connor's the founder of Fathers 4 Justice. Maybe Lady Gaga will give him a taste of his own medicine and storm his shop or stage a lottery there or something.

But ripping off Madonna is her schtick. How dare they copy her copying her...

Plus, Lady Gaga is a reference to Radio Gaga by Queen. Will she be paying them royalties?

I think she's mostly nauseous because she didn't think of it first.

Anome_ said:
I think she's mostly nauseous because she didn't think of it first.

I think she's mostly nauseous. :lol:

And her meat dress was in bad taste

all cheapo cuts, surley she could have worn something decent?

I think breast milk ice cream is a great idea, so, Im sure, do the babies of the world.

Experimental (and adventurous) Cuisine

I can't see an obvious thread for this so figured I'd start one.

Was thinking about it after being in the local chinese supermarket earlier today and coming across Pig Uterus, which was something of a new experience for me, then while googling for receipes I found it listed by some blogger as #1 Scariest food to buy at her local chinese store:

Pig's uterus faced some stiff competition from the pre-packaged meat section from the likes of black-skinned chickens with the heads on, pork bung (intestine), pork snout, pork brain, and liquid or solid pork blood, but if my mission was to find the scariest items I could find in Ranch 99, pig's uterus could hardly be overlooked. It lay pinky grey behind the shiny plastic wrap, and I was drawn by its uneven, scalloped, might I even say Baroque tubes.

Possibly buying it frozen made it look a bit less tubular :eek: I may have to wait for a day when i'm feeling quite brave to thaw it out... apparently quite nice sliced with red peppers and garlic 8)

Probably all a bit relative to ones culture but... anyone else got any good scary food stories?

Live Octopus.

Didn't eat it myself but watched the six others at the table tuck in.
It was sliced, living, into writhing pieces with ultra-sharp scissors.

Looked excessively chewy.

theyithian said:
Live Octopus.

The bit in Oldboy where he stuffs a (clearly) live octopus into his mouth and proceeds to chew it really turned my stomach..... :(

I forgot to mention: the live-slicing took place at the table and was conducted in a matter of seconds by a ninja-skilled woman with an enormous smile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sannakji

I'm not into such treatment, but if someone else wants to pay for it, then it's their conscience and stomach, not mine.

It was exceedingly recently dead.

Did they slice through the body/head part though to actually kill it? Or just leave it to twitch? :shock:

The cutting starts on the legs and works up across the whole body. The whole animal is consumed except, IIRC, a small hard beak part.

There's some *thing* in East Asian cultures about consuming eyes - as the organ of sight they have some particular significance in the folk interpretations of Chinese philosophy. I don't recall the details.

Ah,ok. I was looking at this and thinking it looked like the'd left the whole body intacy, which seems a bit cruel... or maybe i'm looking at the wrong bit.

Heckler20 said:
theyithian said:
Live Octopus.

The bit in Oldboy where he stuffs a (clearly) live octopus into his mouth and proceeds to chew it really turned my stomach..... :(

Yeah, I saw that the other day.
It was the weirdest culinary experience I've seen - not nice at all.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Ah,ok. I was looking at this and thinking it looked like the'd left the whole body intacy, which seems a bit cruel... or maybe i'm looking at the wrong bit.

That link leads to a site flagged as malware...just thought I'd warn people...

theyithian said:
Live Octopus. .
Nope. Draw the line some way before that - I like the taste of lobster, but won't eat it cooked in the traditional manner.

I insist on things being painlessly dead before I'll eat them. No squeamishness about where they come from, by the way - I've actually been to farms and abattoirs - just that there's no direct suffering involved in my consumption of said meat.

I'm running Google Chrome. Google is flagging it as a 'dodgy' site for malware.

Back