• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Testing her mettle.

Doctors remove £53k worth of coins and jewellery from woman's stomach after she took it from shop and swallowed it
Doctors were left baffled after removing more of £53k worth of jewellery and coins from the stomach of an Indian woman.
Runi Khatun, 26, was 'weak and emaciated' when she was rushed to hospital on July 16 in West Bengal state after she began throwing up after every meal.
During surgery, doctors removed 69 chains, 80 earrings, 46 coins, eight lockets, 11 nose rings, four keys, five anklets and one watch dial from her abdomen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7284945/Doctors-remove-53k-worth-coins-jewellery-womans-stomach.html

When the meat is too fresh.

I have seen this all over the Internet the past couple of days with no true explanation. Is it a fraud? Is it freshly killed meat? The most plausible 'explanations I've read (that sound logical) is that it's either freshly slaughtered turtle or rabbit meat that's been salted. Apparently this can cause such a reaction, particularly on reptilian and amphibian flesh. I'm no authority on this and just recounting what I've read. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? Does anyone here know what the video actually is? Or, is it simply a hoax video done with fishing line or some other invisible thread?

Who's up for some of this deliciousness?
seamindrink.jpg

Does anyone here know what the video actually is?

I suppose it could be a hoax but there seems more to the movement than could have been faked with a thread. I have seen plenty of the drunken "dancing" shrimps etc. where they say the nerves are stimulated by salt and vinegar. Usually, they are taken live from a bucket to perform this farewell. That chicken joint has been through a lot of butchery but those chefs work fast!

I do remember a gift of fresh mackerel from a neighbour. My squeamish mother did not want to tackle them. Wrapped in newspaper, they had the energy to flap about, despite being out of the sea for hours. It fell to me to gut and behead them, which calmed them down quite a lot!

I assumed the video was from the far east but online attributions range from Florida to Idaho. :dunno:

No food safety standards over there?

Yikes! But how else are you going to make a Master stock? I've heard rumours of Chinese starter soups in Hong Kong going for over 100 years, somewhat akin to a sourdough starter. I've been to Bangkok, eaten street food but never been ill. Only place I ever got the trots was in the southern Philippines.

Last edited:
Yikes! But how else are you going to make a Master stock? I've heard rumours of Chinese starter soups in Hong Kong going for over 100 years, somewhat akin to a sourdough starter. I've been to Bangkok, eaten street food but never been ill. Only place I ever got the trots was in the southern Philippines.

A good friend came back from Vietnam with intestinal worms. Suffered months of general malaise before he decided to get it checked out by a doctor. He'd been living off street food for just a few weeks.

There's gastronmical adventurousness and then recklessly foolhardy.

My general rule is that if the establishment looks ropey, I want to see it raw and then cooked before my own eyes.

I remember that!
It's really unwise to eat a live octopus. Why do people persist in doing it?

'Live' octopus is usually--in fact--extremely recently deceased octopus. It is brought to your table and sliced into writhing pieces with razor-sharp scissors just before you eat it. You're supposed to tuck in while it is still quickening.

Yes, I've watched this (many times); no, I haven't fancied trying it.

'Live' octopus is usually--in fact--extremely recently deceased octopus. It is brought to your table and sliced into writhing pieces with razor-sharp scissors just before you eat it. You're supposed to tuck in while it is still quickening.

Yes, I've watched this (many times); no, I haven't fancied trying it.
Don't they get it to wriggle by pouring something onto it? Vinegar?

Well... that restaurant could at least clean away the hardened stock from underneath the pan.

Well... that restaurant could at least clean away the hardened stock from underneath the pan.
I've washed up in pro kitchens in the past (and sometimes still have to), chefs tend to have pans that I used to think they'd really appreciate me taking a wire wool scourer to and restoring them to their former glory but when they're seasoned they become non stick so chefs will stop you doing that. Don't know about that hardened stock under that pan though.

The hardened stock under that pan doesn't affect the flavour.

I'm not sure which of these new dessert products is more gag-worthy - the mustard ice cream or the ice cream sandwich that includes it along with candied hot dog bits. :bored:
Oscar Meyer's ice cream sandwich includes bits of candied hot dog meat

Meat purveyor Oscar Meyer is branching out into the dessert game with its latest product -- ice cream sandwiches with bits of real hot dog.

Oscar Meyer announced ahead of Friday's National Ice Cream Sandwich Day that it partnered with New York ice cream company il laboratorio del gelato to create the Ice Dog Sandwich, an ice cream sandwich inspired by hot dogs.

The sandwich, which features cookies as "buns," contains bits of candied hot dog meat and spicy mustard ice cream.

The company said its Wienermobile will drive around Manhattan during the week of Aug. 12 to distribute free samples of the unusual dessert.

The announcement comes on the heels of condiment company French's creating a mustard flavored ice cream that it said will be available in select cities during the summer.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...s-bits-of-candied-hot-dog-meat/7441564690824/

Saw Old Boy again tonight, the eating a live octopus scene is as disgusting as ever.
Ramon even when cooked steamed - fried octopus taste terrible. Tough - chewy with a taste similar to canned tuna. However squid when either fried or cooked in a spicey tomato sauce is delicious when properly cleaned.

Back