• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Ramon even when cooked steamed - fried octopus taste terrible. Tough - chewy with a taste similar to canned tuna. However squid when either fried or cooked in a spicey tomato sauce is delicious when properly cleaned.

I really don't like octopus or squid.

Can I come too if I bring this? (It's from Paris!)
Paris hot sauce .jpg

"Guinea pig" is not a possible ice cream flavor that would have occurred to me ...
Cone or scoop: Guinea pig ice cream for sale in Ecuador

It’s a real ice cream flavor: guinea pig.

Anyone who thinks of guinea pigs as pets _ cute, squishy, squeaking bundles of fur _ might find that idea hard to digest.

The rodents are a traditional hot dish in some Latin American countries, including Colombia, Peru and Bolivia. In Ecuador, people typically cook guinea pigs with salt and serve them with potatoes and peanut sauce. But one vendor is taking things to another gastronomic level, serving guinea pigs as a cold dessert.

Some people like ice cream made from “cuy,” as the animal is locally known. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/3c694d0aabe449f0b700cf67ad22a10f

Last edited:

Well...although that link is about beaver anal secretions tasting of vanilla, it goes into the difficulties in obtaining it

getting a beaver to produce castoreum for purposes of food processing is tough. Foodies bent on acquiring some of the sticky stuff have to anesthetize the animal and then “milk” its nether regions.

“You can milk the anal glands so you can extract the fluid,” Crawford said. “You can squirt [castoreum] out. It’s pretty gross.”

Due to such unpleasantness for both parties, castoreum consumption is rather small—only about 292 pounds (132 kilograms) yearly.
132 kilos yearly doesn't sound very much for the production of millions of tons of ice cream so I have my doubts it's actually used in your mivvi..

And it would probably be more expensive than vanilla, currently the second most expensive spice after Saffron, bearing in mind the quantity available.

There's an artificial flavouring called vanillin.

This link has a list of most popular vanilla ice creams & whether they contain cream, fresh milk, & vanilla. Some contain none of each.

I love seafood, which is why I don't eat crab sticks.

They are used in the UK to bulk-up mixed seafood selections in the supermarket. I mainly avoid them but they are blandly inoffensive in the context of a bastard-paella-risotto-type dish. Surimi has some history in the Far East but crab-sticks did not surface in the UK until the 1980s, I think. I remember a relative used to buy them for her kids, who turned up their little noses at any fishy thing with more flavour. They are sweet-tasting, I suppose but give me a shell-on prawn any day! :hunger:

I am not keen on fish but I love surimi.

But its not `fishy` flavoured. I dont like that.

Iceland supermarket's own brand ckicken steaks - various varieties at £2 for eight. Packaging proclaims, '100% chicken breast'. Presumed that meant no added ingredients. It does not - they are only around 60% chicken. Guess what it means is that the chicken they do contain is 100% chicken breast. Is this a common practice?

Anyone else ever had this? I have no name for it and can't see any mention online. As a youngster, mum would make a drink which consisted of a raw egg yolk, milk and sugar, stirred together. The egg white was whipped into a 'foamy' topping and all served in a tall glass. Was this unique to a Glasgow upbringing?

Iceland supermarket's own brand ckicken steaks - various varieties at £2 for eight. Packaging proclaims, '100% chicken breast'. Presumed that meant no added ingredients. It does not - they are only around 60% chicken. Guess what it means is that the chicken they do contain is 100% chicken breast. Is this a common practice?

Yeah I think it is - otherwise "100% chicken breast" would just be.... a chicken breast.

There are preserved meats, especially dry-cured sausage and salami, which boast of containing more than 100% meat!

British sausages, I think, are more or less unique in their use of fillers, often wheat crumb but increasingly the drier, gluten-free rice-flour.

Sentimentalists for the Great British Banger tend to relish the succulence of the product, derived from the unholy combination of wheat crumb and lard! :sneaky2:

Back