• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Lord Lucan,

By your picture non special generic hot dog buns in the U.S. are lighter buns 8 to the pack.

Just guessing at your picture, yours would be called hoagie rolls in the U.S., heavier and bigger.
Well, I'm not bragging, but I thought that the US the hot dongs are heavier and bigger.

I don’t know about England, but there are many varieties of hot dogs in the U.S. like some with cheese stuffed in the middle, or chicken hot dogs, or hot dogs that are 100% vegetable.

Since kids eat most of the hot dogs, the most sold are just normal hot dogs.

There is a category called Jumbo Hot Dogs also sold in stores.

Anything bigger you would have to go to the sausage category.

But I don’t know what they do in Texas, as it could be really bizarre there.

As I understand a Chicago Dog is an all beef hot dog and you can throw what ever on top of it except never ketchup.

I have seen people drown their hot dogs with ketchup, but for me it has to be mustard.

Actually hot dogs and ketchup is really gross just like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

As I understand a Chicago Dog is an all beef hot dog and you can throw what ever on top of it except never ketchup.

I have seen people drown their hot dogs with ketchup, but for me it has to be mustard.

Actually hot dogs and ketchup is really gross just like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.
People eating hot dog or vienna sausage without ketchup is rare in my country. In Norway it's mustard which is optional.

I'm still trying to understand the Chicago dog.
The main distinguishing characteristics of a Chicago Dog are all the veggie-type toppings (e.g., pickle, relish, tomato, peppers) above and beyond onions as well as the prohibition on ketchup.

I've never understood why anyone would want ketchup on either burgers or hot dogs.

As far as I'm concerned, tomato ketchup* is standard on burgers, and just plain odd on hot dogs (although I did enjoy them that way when very young - I think parents consider ketchup a "safer" condiment than mustard, which some children find too spicy). My own preference for hot dogs is brown mustard and sauerkraut, sometimes raw onions and occasionally pickle relish. Chili and cheese is good, too, but that's not a regular hot dog in my book. When possible I like the crunch of a natural casing dog, either Nathan's all beef or Boar's Head beef and pork.

What you put on a hot dog is quite the regional thing in America. When I was in San Diego some years ago I saw a hot dog cart that had available toppings in two separate lists: New York Style (brown mustard, sauerkraut, red onion sauce, etc.) and Things You're Used To (yellow mustard, ketchup, relish, etc.). I also encountered a hot dog stand in downtown Warsaw that had different combinations of toppings offered as separate menu items. The amerykański ("American") was an odd mixture of toppings that I can't fully recall now, but included ketchup and onions, and struck me as not being a normal combination in any part of the U.S.A.

*Yes, there are other kinds.

As far as I'm concerned, tomato ketchup* is standard on burgers, and just plain odd on hot dogs (although I did enjoy them that way when very young - I think parents consider ketchup a "safer" condiment than mustard, which some children find too spicy). My own preference for hot dogs is brown mustard and sauerkraut, sometimes raw onions and occasionally pickle relish. Chili and cheese is good, too, but that's not a regular hot dog in my book. When possible I like the crunch of a natural casing dog, either Nathan's all beef or Boar's Head beef and pork.

What you put on a hot dog is quite the regional thing in America. When I was in San Diego some years ago I saw a hot dog cart that had available toppings in two separate lists: New York Style (brown mustard, sauerkraut, red onion sauce, etc.) and Things You're Used To (yellow mustard, ketchup, relish, etc.). I also encountered a hot dog stand in downtown Warsaw that had different combinations of toppings offered as separate menu items. The amerykański ("American") was an odd mixture of toppings that I can't fully recall now, but included ketchup and onions, and struck me as not being a normal combination in any part of the U.S.A.

*Yes, there are other kinds.
My personal preferance is a bratwurst in a soft hotdog bun with German mustard, sweated onions and tomato ketchup :p

On ketchups, the original ketchup was made from mushrooms.

Hotdog - on a white roll, with mustard, tomato sauce, and cheese...

Hamburger - standard hamburger patty on a multigrain bun, tomato, lettuce onion, beetroot, pineapple with BBQ sauce.

Sausage sizzle - standard butchers sausage, on a single slice of buttered bread, with cooked onion, with tomato sauce.

Lambs tail - BBQ'ed, with tomato sauce.

sweet meats (testicle) - Yeah Nah.

WTF, UK?

1630773408712.png

Our Cornwall posters will know that while the pie is mainly produced for tourists these days, it is a genuine dish, reputedly invented to celebrate a heroic fishing voyage.

The fish are filleted to leave the heads on and the pastry and everything beneath it is edible.

Our Cornwall posters will know that while the pie is mainly produced for tourists these days, it is a genuine dish, reputedly invented to celebrate a heroic fishing voyage.

The fish are filleted to leave the heads on and the pastry and everything beneath it is edible.
Fish heads are apparently really nice and particularly the eyes. I went out with 2 Chinese men and they both ate lots of interesting stuff. I learned to just put in my mouth and swallow and nod politely!

I went out with 2 Chinese men

At the same time!?

I can also attest to the culinary delight of fish head.

When I lived in Tokyo a Japanese friend, whose small flat had a loo but no shower/bath would regularly use my shower. I'd get home about 21.30 to find a clean friend and a supper he'd prepared of fish head deliciousness.

Not much flesh but the cheeks are good as is the eye but the lens is a surprise* the first time I encountered it.

*Is like plastic and not to be consumed

At the same time!?

I can also attest to the culinary delight of fish head.

When I lived in Tokyo a Japanese friend, whose small flat had a loo but no shower/bath would regularly use my shower. I'd get home about 21.30 to find a clean friend and a supper he'd prepared of fish head deliciousness.

Not much flesh but the cheeks are good as is the eye but the lens is a surprise* the first time I encountered it.

*Is like plastic and not to be consumed
Ha! No. ;)

Were the eye lens like hen/duck feet, where you suck the flesh off but leave the cartilage?

It does sound gross what I'm describing but the duck feet are amazingly tasty!

Back