• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

At the same time!?

I can also attest to the culinary delight of fish head.

When I lived in Tokyo a Japanese friend, whose small flat had a loo but no shower/bath would regularly use my shower. I'd get home about 21.30 to find a clean friend and a supper he'd prepared of fish head deliciousness.

Not much flesh but the cheeks are good as is the eye but the lens is a surprise* the first time I encountered it.

*Is like plastic and not to be consumed
Our local Chinese community clocked that we had salmon on special offer each Christmas so they'd come in asking for the heads because I was filleting dozens of salmon every day .. I had a bin that was only used for fish 'slop' so it was just a case of going elbow deep, rinsing the heads, shrink wrapping them and pricing them up at the low cost of 'trimmings' .. they told me that all the flavour was in the heads and that they used them to make soup. I'd have loved to have tried some of their soup.

Our local Chinese community clocked that we had salmon on special offer each Christmas so they'd come in asking for the heads because I was filleting dozens of salmon every day .. I had a bin that was only used for fish 'slop' so it was just a case of going elbow deep, rinsing the heads, shrink wrapping them and pricing them up at the low cost of 'trimmings' .. they told me that all the flavour was in the heads and that they used them to make soup. I'd have loved to have tried some of their soup.
They leave the eyes in to see them through the week.

Snapper head soup used to be a constant when I were a Lad, out here in Australia.

Savoured mainly by those who'd gone through the Depression, they spoke of the cheek, and the eyes as grouse tucker...which just grossed us kids out.

When buying butcher bits for our dogs I'd have to queue up behind apparently Chinese people who'd root through the big tub for pork ribs.
The butcher told me they were cooking the ribs for human consumption, possibly in their restaurant. If so they were getting a bargain as the bits were dirt-cheap. Good work! :wink2:

When buying butcher bits for our dogs I'd have to queue up behind apparently Chinese people who'd root through the big tub for pork ribs.
The butcher told me they were cooking the ribs for human consumption, possibly in their restaurant. If so they were getting a bargain as the bits were dirt-cheap. Good work! :wink2:
My mum once left a bowl of cooked liver on the kitchen side years ago (both my parents are dead now) and my dad ate it, not realising it was for the dog! Lol!

Yes, a fish eye dissolves quite quickly though. I've only had chicken feet once and was sucking away for ages.
I meant to say chicken feet, rather than hen's feet!! Lol!

I just couldn't think of the word!

I'm not too sure I could eat an eye lens as that feels a bit more squeamish.

l’m just glad that they gave the tuna a happy ending.

To be pedantic it's usually from cod or salmon and they get it by slitting the the fish open. Video here

However... Before cooking a boar (Maori fashion) you can alter the flavour of the meat by either masturbating the beast to climax before castration, or not.

I was told this by the big, fuck-off Maori guy who did my moko. He said he'd done it himself and I didn't disbelieve him. When I asked how the flavours differed he thought for a moment then said, "It's just different"

I don't know what they're feeding to chickens now. Somebody I know has had a run of breaking eggs open, only to find a double yolk in each one.

You can buy double yolkers specifically now according to my mum
I've seen that before somewhere. There's some sort of method suppliers use by shining a bright light through the eggs to ensure that they are double yolkers.

These fellas are claiming they've developed a phone app to find double yolkers:

Here's another egg inside an egg:

Last edited:
My mum once left a bowl of cooked liver on the kitchen side years ago (both my parents are dead now) and my dad ate it, not realising it was for the dog! Lol!
Good God! Didn't she warn him that stuff is NEVER fit for human consumption? :)
And while we're sharing, I should also say I've had fish sperm sushi
On the original Iron Chef, with a theme ingredient of cod, Chinese chef Chen Kenichi prepared ice cream from the sperm (or "soft roe" as they called it). All the judges told him it was awful and Chen agreed - except film director Nagisa Ōshima, a rather strange fellow, who thought it was a kind of culinary joke and gave Chen a perfect score for the meal!

Watching this man's videos has me wondering if there's an underground scene of people who source rare vintage world wide military rations ... but then also eat them?. Apparently there's lots of collectors of these rations but this bloke seems to be the only one mad/brave enough to open but then also eat them. He reminds me of those Victorians who just had to eat giraffe or Dodo steaks .. the rarer the better .. 'Steve1989' .. here he eats a cracker preserved from 1863:

Here Steve opens and eats a WW2 British 1944 Pacific 'K Ration' 24hr breakfast, lunch and supper 3 cans deal ... and then smokes the 75+ years old Craven A cigarettes lit by the included book of Victory Matches .. (he's got a ton of these vids of him 'Quantum Leap' chomping on different examples from different countries from different eras' ..

Last edited:
Watching this man's videos has me wondering if there's an underground scene of people who source rare vintage world wide military rations ... but then also eat them?. Apparently there's lots of collectors of these rations but this bloke seems to be the only one mad/brave enough to open but then also eat them. He reminds me of those Victorians who just had to eat giraffe or Dodo steaks .. the rarer the better .. 'Steve1989' .. here he eats a cracker preserved from 1863:

Here Steve opens and eats a WW2 British 1944 Pacific 'K Ration' 24hr breakfast, lunch and supper 3 cans deal ... and then smokes the 75+ years old Craven A cigarettes lit by the included book of Victory Matches .. (he's got a ton of these vids of him 'Quantum Leap' chomping on different examples from different countries from different eras' ..

Steve is a bit of a legend.
He's eaten the oldest rations and is still alive. His videos are quite formulaic, but they are oddly relaxing.

Steve is a bit of a legend.
He's eaten the oldest rations and is still alive. His videos are quite formulaic, but they are oddly relaxing.
He no bravado risk taker (well, OK, a little bit) so doesn't just do this for 'likes', the more of his videos we watch, the more we learn about how different vintage packaging combined with potential moisture and how different foods react under different conditions amongst other things factor heavily in if he decides to not try to eat it, just have a taste, have a small nibble or eat the whole thing. I've learned though his videos about contemporary chemical bag shaking cooking techniques that involve not traditional cooking methods for modern military ration packs. He knows his shit on this subject, he also studies this old food under microscope.

He no bravado risk taker (well, OK, a little bit) so doesn't just do this for 'likes', the more of his videos we watch, the more we learn about how different vintage packaging combined with potential moisture and how different foods react under different conditions amongst other things factor heavily in if he decides to not try to eat it, just have a taste, have a small nibble or eat the whole thing. I've learned though his videos about contemporary chemical bag shaking cooking techniques that involve not traditional cooking methods for modern military ration packs. He knows his shit on this subject, he also studies this old food under microscope.
Yeah, he checks the cans and packets very carefully and avoids eating anything with meat or egg in it. Some items survive OK, so he gives them a try. He doesn't take risks, not after 1 or 2 bouts of serious food poisoning.
It's from his videos that I've learned about how some foods will keep a long time (peanut butter was one example).

I think what he's created is actually a useful historical record.

Oh yeah, the bit I find funny about Steve's videos is where he says 'oh, that tastes rank... ewww' and then seconds later, he will say 'OK, I'll try a bit more of that'. He'll often compound the problem by wearing a 'Clean Plate Club' T-shirt.

Back