• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Didn't watch the video but someone from the food industry told me that many tinned foods can be kept for years after the use by date. The nutritional value will decrease but they don't become toxic.
Imagine the farts though ..

Weirdly compelling! I have watched dozens of this guy's videos. He is for real, evidently and has access to endless supplies of out-of-date canned stuff.

Long-term, there will be a museum: by his own account - he opens them on their bottoms. Meanwhile, we await the next pzzzz, as the opener penetrates . . . :)

New Hampshire Distillery Makes Whiskey Out of Invasive Crabs

You’ve probably never tried whiskey like this before. Tamworth Distilling, which is based in New Hampshire, is now selling a whiskey that’s made with invasive green crabs called Crab Trapper. You can buy a bottle of Crab Trapper for a cool $65—and feel good about making use of one of North America’s most destructive invasive species while you’re at it.

“People are going to hear crab whiskey, and I’d venture to say three-quarters of them are going to go, ‘No, absolutely not,'” Tamworth Distilling product developer Will Robinson [said]. “But if you can get them to taste it, they totally change their tune for the most part.”

The distillery adds crab stock made with green crabs, corn, and spices to a bourbon base.

European green crabs are considered one of the most invasive species in the marine environment.” They were introduced to North America in the 1800s, likely from hitching rides on merchant ships. They are now present along both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts—and threaten marine ecosystems and commercial crabbing operations in both places. The species has few natural predators and is considered an aggressive hunter. Green crabs destroy seagrass and have been known to eat juvenile king crabs and salmon.

Eating invasive species is considered one of the best ways to create demand for their removal and a good number of invasives are quite tasty. Crab Trapper isn’t the only creative whiskey product that Tamworth Distilling makes. The company also sells a venison-flavored whiskey called “Deerslayer.”

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/invasive-green-crab-whiskey/

maximus otter

Weirdly compelling! I have watched dozens of this guy's videos. He is for real, evidently and has access to endless supplies of out-of-date canned stuff.

Long-term, there will be a museum: by his own account - he opens them on their bottoms. Meanwhile, we await the next pzzzz, as the opener penetrates . . . :)
There's some controversy about Merda D'Artista (Artist Shit) cans sold by Piero Manzoni. Someone opened such a can, from 1960, as an art performance and it seems it was filled with plaster.
Have not had time to research it further.

Yes, I found the TV series 'Eating History' which was on a couple of years just as watchable -they tasted them too which added a bit of drama. Don't think they make it any more ((maybe they didn't survive the series:)

New Hampshire Distillery Makes Whiskey Out of Invasive Crabs

You’ve probably never tried whiskey like this before. Tamworth Distilling, which is based in New Hampshire, is now selling a whiskey that’s made with invasive green crabs called Crab Trapper. You can buy a bottle of Crab Trapper for a cool $65—and feel good about making use of one of North America’s most destructive invasive species while you’re at it.

“People are going to hear crab whiskey, and I’d venture to say three-quarters of them are going to go, ‘No, absolutely not,'” Tamworth Distilling product developer Will Robinson [said]. “But if you can get them to taste it, they totally change their tune for the most part.”

The distillery adds crab stock made with green crabs, corn, and spices to a bourbon base.

European green crabs are considered one of the most invasive species in the marine environment.” They were introduced to North America in the 1800s, likely from hitching rides on merchant ships. They are now present along both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts—and threaten marine ecosystems and commercial crabbing operations in both places. The species has few natural predators and is considered an aggressive hunter. Green crabs destroy seagrass and have been known to eat juvenile king crabs and salmon.

Eating invasive species is considered one of the best ways to create demand for their removal and a good number of invasives are quite tasty. Crab Trapper isn’t the only creative whiskey product that Tamworth Distilling makes. The company also sells a venison-flavored whiskey called “Deerslayer.”

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/invasive-green-crab-whiskey/

maximus otter
We catch those ones on our beach, they make excellent fishing bait and a tackle shop in West Runton pays me £1.75 per crab. Locals call them 'softies' on account of their soft shells.

There's some controversy about Merda D'Artista (Artist Shit) cans sold by Piero Manzoni. Someone opened such a can, from 1960, as an art performance and it seems it was filled with plaster.
Have not had time to research it further.
That might be because the artist tried canning his actual poo, and the gas thus produced inside distorted or even blew up the cans.

Steve1989MREInfo often says 'nice hiss'.

I bought a stack of Indian leaf bowls from an antiques shop today because they look cool .. no idea how I'm going to use them yet because hippies/yippies get on my nerves ..

This article could have been better proof read & mentions the shark in question was bred in captivity (this I highly doubt unless China has some secret great white breeding program), so there may be aspects which are bogus, but then there are pictures which seem to substantiate the claim. Who knows these day?

Even the title belongs in the 'Fortean Headlines' thread...

Food blogger faces prison after illegally cooking and eating great white shark on live stream​

A Chinese food vlogger is facing up to five years in prison after she posted a viral video of herself cooking and eating a protected great white shark.
A food blogger faces up to five years in prison after illegally cooking and eating a protected great white shark.
The Chinese food vlogger, known online as Tizi, posted the viral video of herself tucking into the barbecued flesh of the shark, which cops believe she bought illegally.

“It may look vicious, but its meat is truly super tender,” she says in the video, which sparked fury online.

In the video, Tizi, who has around eight million followers on the Chinese streaming channel Douyin, is seen collecting the six-foot shark at a seafood shop in the southwestern city of Nanchong in Sichuan province, The US Sun reports.

She unwraps the creature in front of a curious crowd, even lying down next to the shark to show its size in comparison to her.

The shark is sliced in half before its tale is barbecued and its head boiled in a spicy broth.

She then shared the food with local villagers who all raved about its taste.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...m/news-story/e7bbbbc93e48175ac38a9731d434add9

Non alcoholic 'Bottom Sniffer' beer for dogs. I can pick up a bottle for £4 locally, I'm not sure yet if it's fit for human consumption but I'll drink one for a laugh if it is plus I'll keep the bottle ..

abottomsnifferbeer.jpg

https://www.woofandbrew.com/store/p49/bottom-sniffer-dog-beer.html

Non alcoholic 'Bottom Sniffer' beer for dogs. I can pick up a bottle for £4 locally, I'm not sure yet if it's fit for human consumption but I'll drink one for a laugh if it is plus I'll keep the bottle ..

View attachment 58024

https://www.woofandbrew.com/store/p49/bottom-sniffer-dog-beer.html
4 quid for a 330ml bottle?.. That’s more expensive than actual beer!

And curiously, a 2 bottle pack is cheaper per bottle than if you buy a 12 pack. Interesting marketing strategy.

For those whose fondest memories involve seedy "dive" bars, here's an ice cream novelty crafted to trigger your perverse nostalgia ...
Miller High Life introduces ice cream that tastes like a dive bar

A new novelty ice cream product is actually meant to recall the flavor of peanut shells on a bar floor.

Miller High Life has partnered with Tipsy Scoop, maker of alcohol-infused ice cream, to create the Ice Cream Dive Bar. ...

The product combines beer, peanut swirl, tobacco smoke flavor, caramel and a dark chocolate dip. The peanut swirl is designed to mimic the peanut shells frequently found on bar floors.

Tipsy and Miller's collaboration is a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the ice cream bar. Each of the bars contain up to 5% alcohol. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/08/16/miller-high-life-dive-bar-ice-cream/9991660667081/

Here's the advertising blurb from the Tipsy Scoop website:
There is nothing quite like the tastes, smells and feels of a dive bar. The immediate smell of history when you walk in because the bar is undoubtedly old, the peanuts on the bartop that are free to eat, your feet sticking to the floor, the dim and dark lighting no matter what time of day it feels like night, and aroma of smoke that doubles as cologne for those in the bar.

To celebrate dive bars and the 100th anniversary of the ice cream bar we partnered with Miller High Life to create the Ice Cream Dive Bar, taking all the best parts of the dive bar IRL and bringing them to your taste buds.

Each Ice Cream Dive Bar delivers a delicious combination of High Life infused ice cream with dive bar inspired mix-ins:
  • Premium ice cream infused with High Life (that packs up to 5% ABV)
  • Delicious peanut swirl bringing the saltiness of the quintessential dive bar snack
  • A hint of tobacco smoke flavor reminiscent of that unforgettable dive bar scent
  • Gooey caramel swirl to incorporate the distinct sticky dive bar floor feeling only the real ones know
  • A fun sprinkle of carbonated candy to provide the iconic Champagne of Beers effervescence in every bite
  • All dipped in dark chocolate to evoke the dark wood and dim lighting ambiance that all good dives share
FULL AD: https://tipsyscoop.com/products/highlifeicecreamdivebars

This article could have been better proof read & mentions the shark in question was bred in captivity (this I highly doubt unless China has some secret great white breeding program), so there may be aspects which are bogus, but then there are pictures which seem to substantiate the claim. Who knows these day?

Even the title belongs in the 'Fortean Headlines' thread...

Food blogger faces prison after illegally cooking and eating great white shark on live stream​

A Chinese food vlogger is facing up to five years in prison after she posted a viral video of herself cooking and eating a protected great white shark.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...m/news-story/e7bbbbc93e48175ac38a9731d434add9

Looking at the photo of Tizi's great white Shark, I'm going to point out that the tail on the animal is not a Great White Sharks tail - it looks more like a dolphins.

Definitely a strange and suspect foodstuff. I don't particularly like mac & cheese to begin with, especially the boxed version which to me is already a non food. I can only imagine the taste to be horrendous.

Definitely a strange and suspect foodstuff. I don't particularly like mac & cheese to begin with, especially the boxed version which to me is already a non food. I can only imagine the taste to be horrendous.
It looks like something you'd only eat if you were in the last stages of starvation.

Back