• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

I read recently that Nicole Kidman is to play Lucille Ball in a biopic. That brought back horrible memories of how I would run from the room whenever Lucille Ball was on the telly. As a kid, I found her really scary and couldn't bear to watch her.
Mind you, she's not as scary as her statue!
View attachment 38727
Is she holding a bottle of vodka there?.

I travelled to Dublin once on my own and I'd booked into a hotel - more like a hostel - sight unseen. I arrived, checked in, all was fine. Then I went to my room. It was quite small, but it had VERY tall ceilings. They seemed to loom above me. Worse, it had a single VERY tall window, with VERY tall dark green curtains to match. Something about this window and its damn curtains just terrified me. The thing must have been ten or twelve feet tall, though who knows really - it scared me just to look at it. I tried to be a grown up about it and stayed the night, but I couldn't sleep. The bed faced the window, and I kept thinking the window was coming nearer and I imagined the curtains coming down and bundling me up and suffocating me. I left the next day to find a new place to stay. Big things, ya know... they can be scary.
Welcome to the board, Themis!

I had a similar experience in my son's old flat on Petergate in York. Very, very old buildings converted into shops and the rooms above into flats. My son had a lovely, roomy flat, kitchen/diner, bedroom and bathroom, but the bathroom scared the hell out of me. The rest of the place was lovely and cosy, but the bathroom had a HUUUUUGE high ceiling and a very tall window, out of which you could see the top of the Minster. You had to go down a few steps into the bathroom so I assume it was some artifact of the building conversion, but the proportions of that room, which was quite small, with this enormously high ceiling and big window - it felt all kinds of wrong. I never ever felt comfortable in that bathroom (and yes, it was enough to scare the wee out of me!).

Thanks! Everyone here is so lovely - what an antidote! And thanks too for making me feel like less of a scaredy-cat about the window. It was not my finest hour, having to come up with some lame excuse as to why I was making such a hasty exit. Something better than "Your curtains scare me".

Welcome to the Board! At least you had a sort of Fortean experience in Dublin!

The Scary Lucy statue was replaced by one which actually resembles her in 2016 although Scary has only been moved 75 yards down the road. The bottle is apparently Vitameatavegamin. No idea...

The original statue’s detractors eventually came to include the artist who created it, the sculptor Dave Poulin, who said in a 2015 letter to The Hollywood Reporter that he considered it to be “by far my most unsettling sculpture.” He said that the work was originally made for a couple who donated it to the town and that he had wanted to redo it for several years before the controversy erupted.

“Unfortunately, at the point in my life when I created the Lucille Ball sculpture, now over 10 years ago, I came up short and was not able to rise to the challenge,” he wrote.

1619783135857.png

Big Phoot- I too was creeped out by Lucille Ball. When I visited my family in LA they took me on a tour of the TV studios which was basically an extended Lucille Ball tribute in a golf trolley. Worse day out ever., had to pretend to have a cold so I could keep a hanky handy to hide my face when her image was thrust at us.

Apparently she was one of the greatest Comedic talents of all time

She was, she was brilliant! Even so, I always hated "The Lucy Show."
Maybe because her character was such an idiot. I like her better in Stage Door.

I used to rush out of the room when ‘Some Mothers do ‘ave ‘em’ was on. Frank Spencer absolutely creeped me out. I wanted to vomit when he was on. I know he was harmless and ineffectual, but he terrified me and made me feel sick.

I used to rush out of the room when ‘Some Mothers do ‘ave ‘em’ was on. Frank Spencer absolutely creeped me out. I wanted to vomit when he was on. I know he was harmless and ineffectual, but he terrified me and made me feel sick.
I hated him too. That tradition of affection for hapless, useless men leaves me cold.

I hated him too. That tradition of affection for hapless, useless men leaves me cold.

I’m so glad to know it wasn’t just me, Escargot! Everyone seemed to find him so lovable.

An odd thing, well not odd, but rather than Frank Spencer reminding me of someone and that recognition giving me the creeps it was the other way around.

When the series was on, we still lived in the country with an uncle and aunt and my nan. Most of them used to gather to watch it, and I would go and read in the other room.

When we moved, there was a 15-16 year old neighbour who used to baby-sit us and for a year, abused my sister and myself.

I couldn’t stand the guy because he looked and acted like a young Frank Spencer. God knows why he was allowed to babysit us, but different times then, and his older sister was supposed to be there too, but never was.

From the get-go I tried to avoid him as he genuinely did make me feel ill because of his appearance, the way he acted, and even his voice, all of which were almost exactly like Frank Spencer’s.

Possibly I simply didn’t trust or like that supposed hapless/helpless thing, and was right to.

I’m so glad to know it wasn’t just me, Escargot! Everyone seemed to find him so lovable.

An odd thing, well not odd, but rather than Frank Spencer reminding me of someone and that recognition giving me the creeps it was the other way around.

When the series was on, we still lived in the country with an uncle and aunt and my nan. Most of them used to gather to watch it, and I would go and read in the other room.

When we moved, there was a 15-16 year old neighbour who used to baby-sit us and for a year, abused my sister and myself.

I couldn’t stand the guy because he looked and acted like a young Frank Spencer. God knows why he was allowed to babysit us, but different times then, and his older sister was supposed to be there too, but never was.

From the get-go I tried to avoid him as he genuinely did make me feel ill because of his appearance, the way he acted, and even his voice, all of which were almost exactly like Frank Spencer’s.

Possibly I simply didn’t trust or like that supposed hapless/helpless thing, and was right to.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I just remembered my sleepless summer nights with sheers blowing gently in the breeze:pop:. I lived in a large brick home and during the time that (I think it was standard home decor) my mom had sheers and drapes on the windows.

On hot humid nights I had the option to sleep at one end of the hallway, on the floor, where the breeze would make the area a little cooler than my room. The slight movement of the sheers just at my head terrified me that a ghost might just be standing there hiding in the curtains waiting for me.

So in the late hot humid days of summer, I had the choice of no rest from being in a hot humid bedroom, or of no rest and my heart pumping from fear of seeing sheers billowing lightly over my head.

Yup, that supposed hapless/helpless thing is dangeous. It comes across to me every time as grooming.

Speaking as a man who's pretty inept for various reasons, I don't want to groom anybody, I just want to keep my head down and get through life as quietly as possible. Which can be difficult if you fuck up accidently quite often. Life's more complicated than they tell you!

Speaking as a man who's pretty inept for various reasons, I don't want to groom anybody,
Surely you want to groom yourself at least, tho' I have to say, (speaking from personal experience, er, hypothetically,) that can be challenging sometimes!

I always thought that laughing at Frank Spencer was basically inviting the general public to laugh at the learning disabled.

Back