• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

I always thought that laughing at Frank Spencer was basically inviting the general public to laugh at the learning disabled.

He is pretty obviously a fictional character, though - if he'd been real he'd have been dead within a couple of episodes.

Mr Bean was more my era of "holy fool" comedy characters, though I do remember the Frank impersonations from when I was very little.

He is pretty obviously a fictional character, though - if he'd been real he'd have been dead within a couple of episodes.

Mr Bean was more my era of "holy fool" comedy characters, though I do remember the Frank impersonations from when I was very little.
Well, yes, he was fictional, but it was obvious that - in the words of that era - 'he wasn't all there'.

Well, yes, he was fictional, but it was obvious that - in the words of that era - 'he wasn't all there'.

He did have a way of outsmarting the belligerent characters who got infuriated with him, mind you, so I guess there was the satisfaction of seeing the bullies and authority figures confounded by someone they couldn't control. I suspect that's why he reached hero status rather than laughing at the learning disabled. I mean, you watch him now and think, eesh, this wasn't that funny, was it? Cultural moments are like that.

He did have a way of outsmarting the belligerent characters who got infuriated with him, mind you, so I guess there was the satisfaction of seeing the bullies and authority figures confounded by someone they couldn't control. I suspect that's why he reached hero status rather than laughing at the learning disabled. I mean, you watch him now and think, eesh, this wasn't that funny, was it? Cultural moments are like that.
Yes, you're right, he usually came out on top in an illustration of 'simplest is usually best'. And, culturally, it was a product of its time. I think my real problem was that I saw a lot of myself in the character (except the bits on roller skates...) and couldn't therefore find it terribly funny. Although I did think the physical stunts were impressive.

I used to rush out of the room when ‘Some Mothers do ‘ave ‘em’ was on. Frank Spencer absolutely creeped me out. I wanted to vomit when he was on. I know he was harmless and ineffectual, but he terrified me and made me feel sick.

I remember finding him off-putting when I was a child, too. It was the slightly-madish-stary-eyes-gurning. As Michael Crawford (himself) he was fine! I also really disliked Mike Yarwood (the famous 1970s impersonator) for the same reason.

Edited to add: a photo of Mr Yarwood gurning about still gives me vague creeps at the age of 4X!

Hall of Fame - Mike Yarwood - iNostalgia

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don’t like ghost trains, due to getting stuck on one when I was about 7 years of age. At first I thought the car stopping inside the exhibit was part of the scary experience, but after a minute or so of the car staying motionless, I was starting to get a little worried.

As my eyes grew accustom to the gloom, I noticed that there was something on the tracks that was preventing the car from moving forward, and it became obvious to me that a prop had fallen away from the wall and onto the tracks.

Straight away panic set in, and I remember shouting for help at the top of my voice a few times, I then decided that there was a risk of getting hit from behind by another car, so I got out of the car and tried to find my way out - the fact that the tracks may have been electrically live didn’t occur to a 7 year old me. So there I was stumbling around in the darkness and getting more and more scared with every passing second.

I don’t recall how long I was in there, it seemed like hours, but was probably only for a few minutes. Eventually the operator noticed that the car I was in hadn’t come out the other side, so came in and rescued me – no real harm done of course but it did give me nightmares for a while.

I’ve told this story to all my respective Children over the years, so it’s no surprise than whenever we went to the seaside for the day, all three of my kids flatly refused to go anywhere near the ghost train. :D

Yes, you're right, he usually came out on top in an illustration of 'simplest is usually best'. And, culturally, it was a product of its time. I think my real problem was that I saw a lot of myself in the character (except the bits on roller skates...) and couldn't therefore find it terribly funny. Although I did think the physical stunts were impressive.
Yup, you mean that Crawford did all the stunts himself? I enjoyed the roller skating one, can't remember any others.

The process of making it looked horrifically dangerous!
I wonder how many kids copied him and broke a limb?

Here it is, less than two minutes, well worth a watch!

I remember finding him off-putting when I was a child, too. It was the slightly-madish-stary-eyes-gurning. As Michael Crawford (himself) he was fine! I also really disliked Mike Yarwood (the famous 1970s impersonator) for the same reason.

Michael Crawford yes, I recall seeing him in an interview and literally could not believe it was the same person. (I was young of course) He seemed a very nice chap.

I forgot about Mike Yaford, thankfully!

Michael Crawford yes, I recall seeing him in an interview and literally could not believe it was the same person. (I was young of course) He seemed a very nice chap.

I forgot about Mike Yaford, thankfully!
And of course Michael Crawford starred as the Phantom in the original West End production of Phantom of the Opera

Michael Crawford's grandmother lived next door to my aunt. He often used to visit (his gran, not my aunt because that would have been odd), and she said he was a lovely boy (my aunt, not his gran, who presumably already knew).

My son when he was about 4 was absolutely and utterly TERRIFIED of the lion from the telly tubbies, that used to wheel on. He’s now 26 and when I mentioned it to him the other day he shuddered and said it still frightens him. I’ve tried to load a photo here but I’m not very tech savvy and its too big to load.

My son when he was about 4 was absolutely and utterly TERRIFIED of the lion from the telly tubbies, that used to wheel on. He’s now 26 and when I mentioned it to him the other day he shuddered and said it still frightens him. I’ve tried to load a photo here but I’m not very tech savvy and its too big to load.
This one?

I_am_the_Scary_Lion%21.jpg

Seasidepagan, that looks like quite a friendly lion to me, as lions go. I wonder, could your son say what it was he found - and still finds - so unnerving about him? It might just be 'one of those things you can't really put into words', but it would be interesting to know.

I've wracked my brain to think of something genuinely innocuous that freaked me out as a kid - and I was a pretty wussy kid - but I can't come up with anything. I'm sure if I underwent hypnotic regression therapy it would unearth a few things that I have buried for the sake of my sanity - but hey, I'm not THAT curious!

At the moment, what is scaring me to bits: doing a lateral flow test for covid. The painful process of taking samples
out of my long ago removed tonsils and deeply into my nose is bad enough. The worst: Waiting for the result
and then thinking I can see a non-existent second pink line under the first one which would say : Positive.
My husband is the complete opposite and test himself 2-3 times a week. It reassures him.
We are both fully vaccinated for more than 2 weeks.

One memory that happened to swim back into my consciousness earlier today kinda fits the bill here.

A few years back, I was renting an older turn-of the century two-up-two-down terraced house in South Belfast. Very much a Victorian city dwelling, with an outshot kitchen opening into a small paved yard, and a disused outside toilet occupying the space between the back of the kitchen and the wall to the alleyway behind.

The yard was horribly overgrown with weeds, and the outside toilet was packed full to the corrugated steel roof with musty old cardboard boxes. Over the next few months, I tidied up the yard as well as the house, and got round to clearing out the boxes from the toilet area. It turned out that the toilet pan and cistern were long gone, and the sewage outlet plugged with cement, but I thought it would make a good enough place to store my bike and other outdoor stuff.

The walls on the inside were whitewashed roughcast plaster, and I had the bright idea of putting in a nail so I could hang up the yard brush. But, on only a few taps with the hammer, a large chunk of plaster broke off, to reveal the brickwork behind. And... there was something else behind there, too. Then I realised that all the plaster seemed a bit hollow, when I rapped at it with my knuckle... and some more bits fell off - and then, with an icy chill I realised what had been revealed in all its abject horror...

See, the thing is that no-one gets this, no-one at all. Everyone I've ever spoken to about the episode looks at me like I'm very weird for finding this in any way scary, and yet it still creeps me out more than pretty much anything else that's ever happened to me. But here goes.

There was a buddleia tree growing on the roof of the outside toilet, way back where it joined onto the wall with the yard of the neighbouring house. That was fine, there's a lot of buddleia in the area that self-seeds everywhere, and often grows from cracks in walls. I couldn't get up there to remove it with the rest of the weeds, and hey, the butterflies like it.

But this one, this buddleia, had grown roots right down from the roof to the ground, between the brick walls and the plaster. On both sides.

Thick, cable-like roots, over seven feet long, had forced themselves between the brick and the plaster, and on down into the ground. And I was now standing inside the structure this freaky tree had created. The tree was outside of me. I was inside of the tree's sphere of influence. It was all around me. I was consumed. It felt like something out of an HR Giger painting.

It's no good, I can't convey the horror that this realisation still instils in me. All I can say is it really, really freaked me out to the point that I never went back in there again. Even twelve or so years later, it still bothers me a lot. I had a conversation about it this morning, which has brought it all back, and then some.

So yeah. My ultimate non-scary thing that's scary is a tree on a roof.
That kind of spooks me out as well. I was with a friend when she opened up a shed in ehr garden that hadn't been opened in 30 years or so (she had just moved in) - the inside of the shed was full of coiled branches / brambles that were a horrible white colour. There was something oddle repulsive about it all - and I just couldn't go near the things... Brrr.

That kind of spooks me out as well. I was with a friend when she opened up a shed in ehr garden that hadn't been opened in 30 years or so (she had just moved in) - the inside of the shed was full of coiled branches / brambles that were a horrible white colour. There was something oddle repulsive about it all - and I just couldn't go near the things... Brrr.

Someone once asked me to help her chop down her overgrown jungle-like garden.* When I'd hacked down enough greenery to see the shed at the far end, I was able to observe that it was no longer a shed, just the shed-shaped mass of vegetation that had filled it before my mate's friend had dismantled it and taken it away.

*It really was a huge task, much bigger than I'd been led to believe it was, which I agreed to do as a favour because she asked me so pathetically..

Spent all day fooling about with it, including having her mother come over to watch me like a hawk because I'm working class and might steal something; and when I'd cut it all level and piled up the branches and everything her brothers appeared like magic with a van and trailer to take it all away.

Yup, they did indeed work in agriculture and could have done it all for her. Two big strapping men with access to everything necessary. :mad:
I didn't do her any more favours.

Someone once asked me to help her chop down her overgrown jungle-like garden.* When I'd hacked down enough greenery to see the shed at the far end, I was able to observe that it was no longer a shed, just the shed-shaped mass of vegetation that had filled it before my mate's friend had dismantled it and taken it away.

*It really was a huge task, much bigger than I'd been led to believe it was, which I agreed to do as a favour because she asked me so pathetically..

Spent all day fooling about with it, including having her mother come over to watch me like a hawk because I'm working class and might steal something; and when I'd cut it all level and piled up the branches and everything her brothers appeared like magic with a van and trailer to take it all away.
Is this some sort of Picnic At Hanging Rock fan fiction thing?
Yours,
Notreallysurewhatiswhatanymore.

TERRIFIED of the lion from the telly tubbies

I have seen only very brief clips of the show and never the lion!

All I have to go on is the hinged? jaw and mobile? eyes, which might make the flat thing seem paradoxically hungry!

It makes me think of cut-out toys, held together by split-pins. No room for a lion-army inside! :oops:

Back