• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

This blooming well scared me when I read it, years ago. Can anyone find the thread for the IHTM story about the children in America who were warned by their grandparents NOT to go into the cellar at any time, but did and encountered a huge mickey mouse creature. Jeez that still gives me the willies....
That 'demonic Mickey Mouse in the cellar' story sounds great. Would be good to have some more info on that. So many questions!! Did Mickey move? Or make any sound? Did the kid tell anyone? How did they react? Did the kid have any interest in, or fear of, the character before the incident? I bet they did after!! What about the possibility that it was a very vivid nightmare? Seems obvious to suggest that, but I'm sure 98% of people would dismiss it out-of-hand as that. Did the kid ever learn of any reason why the family warned them against going into the cellar? And finally.... have they ever taken a vacation in Disneyland??

My grandmother's house had a cold cellar underneath it with a part in it that went further down- it was an old miner's cottage.
When we stayed there I was told never to go into it as the devil lived there.
I supposed they were afraid that I would fall and hurt myself but for years I had a nightmare of the devil and his mates coming out and trying to grab me.
I don't know why they couldn't have just told me the truth.

This blooming well scared me when I read it, years ago. Can anyone find the thread for the IHTM story about the children in America who were warned by their grandparents NOT to go into the cellar at any time, but did and encountered a huge mickey mouse creature. Jeez that still gives me the willies....
*This* - this is what gives me the willies

mouseclapping.gif

(click on GIF)

That 'demonic Mickey Mouse in the cellar' story sounds great. Would be good to have some more info on that. So many questions!! Did Mickey move? Or make any sound? Did the kid tell anyone? How did they react? Did the kid have any interest in, or fear of, the character before the incident? I bet they did after!! What about the possibility that it was a very vivid nightmare? Seems obvious to suggest that, but I'm sure 98% of people would dismiss it out-of-hand as that. Did the kid ever learn of any reason why the family warned them against going into the cellar? And finally.... have they ever taken a vacation in Disneyland??
As far as I can remember, there was no previous as far as mentioning mickey.... All I know is it was drilled into him NOT to enter, so I assume the grandparents knew about it..... I don't think it was a nightmare, I think it was a case of they went out, curiosity got the better of the boy and this freakishly horrible incident apparently occurred.
And I doubt he wanted to go to Disney land after that hshaha

Or
Hey I am allowed to bastardise my language any way I feel fit
Nottingham University must be so proud of an English Lit graduate being pulled up for his grammar
Did I grasp the wrong end of the nettle?? Hahaha.... Besides.... By the sounds of it I am lucky to just be an illiterate frakker and lucky not to be able to click on whatever is freaking everybody else out

@gojiramonkey I'm certain that there was no criticism of your grammar! Just an image to support the discussion theme :)

Frides

I like it on here
Haha! We've gotcha now!

I love your avatar pic btw - is that your cat? I can never see enough pictures of cats. He (or she) looks wise and inscrutable. Like most cats, he looks like he knows secret stuff. I expect you'll tell us now he's a dumb bunny!

They dressed up in those costumes for a radio show?
People could see a lot better with their ears in those bygone days. That was before junk food, pop culture and social media shrank everyone's attention span to that of a gnat and destroyed the average person's capacity for imagination.

But seriously ...

The Michelin Hour was a short-lived radio show broadcast nationally on the NBC network. Nationally broadcast radio shows were a big deal in those days. The shows were typically broadcast (or recorded for broadcast) in an actual theater setting with a live audience - most commonly in New York City.

The orchestra costumes were therefore worn for the sake of the live show and live audience rather than the radio audience.

That 'demonic Mickey Mouse in the cellar' story sounds great. Would be good to have some more info on that. So many questions!! ...
As I noted earlier, the story apparently came from a letter written to Fortean Times. The old FT website(s) didn't post the letters section online. Your only hope for learning more about the story is to track down the letter in a hardcopy issue.

The only clue about the letter's / issue's timeframe is that it had to be prior to the earliest mention of the cellar / Mickey story in July 2002.

I like it on here

Haha! We've gotcha now!

I love your avatar pic btw - is that your cat? I can never see enough pictures of cats. He (or she) looks wise and inscrutable. Like most cats, he looks like he knows secret stuff. I expect you'll tell us now he's a dumb bunny!
That's my boy Sam Sam.... Unfortunately died a year ago this Sunday at just under 20 years old. My soul mate. My buddy. The place is just a big empty without him. I loved him more than Rush, Marshawn Lynch and Katelyn Ohashi COMBINED! I have read about dead pets about the place so I am hoping he will visit me occasionally rather than constantly be spoilt by grandma in heaven

That's my boy Sam Sam.... Unfortunately died a year ago this Sunday at just under 20 years old. My soul mate. My buddy. The place is just a big empty without him. I loved him more than Rush, Marshawn Lynch and Katelyn Ohashi COMBINED! I have read about dead pets about the place so I am hoping he will visit me occasionally rather than constantly be spoilt by grandma in heaven
And yes he had wisdom and indefinable grace and cool that he managed to very modestly keep under wraps Hahaha

I loathed the programme - That portrayal of hapless and stupid as something to love is just...

Apologies to anyone who classes themselves as hapless and stupid!
I loathed it too - nobody is that hapless. I find it hapless that modern comedy series (in particular US ones) portray men as gormless imbeciles and women as eye rolling shrieking harpies. Surely modern audiences expect better?

Here's one that makes me laugh.

I have one of those holiday souvenir hand-carved penis-shaped bottle openers. Techy hates it. :chuckle:

Last night he wanted to open some beer and rummaged around for a bit before admitting he couldn't find an opener so I offered the willy one. He used it with obvious disdain.

This morning I passed it to him and got him to hold it one hand and pass it to the other. He carefully held only the metal opener end. This wasn't for show, he genuinely can't stand it.

He is totally right-on and certainly not homophobic (his gay stepson is the apple of his eye!) but cannot bear look at representations of erections.
I s'pose it's a straight man thing. :wink2:

but cannot bear look at representations of erections
Haha! So I guess Techy won't be putting his name down for Jeff Bezos's next space flight any time soon then?

Btw, this ... a-hem..... bottle-opener..... where did you say you bought it?

..... and you had to put it next to a ruler, didn't you.

Back