• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Now me, I like hairy men. Mmmm.
Well hello ..

Rainbow01a.jpg

I've just remembered my childhood illogical fear, which was not that there was a monster under the bed, but rather that there were spiders and scorpions at the bottom of my bed under the duvet.
:freak:

A factory siren near where I lived as a kid used to scare me. I always thought it was some sort of monster. And I never liked the puppets in Supercar, I just found them really creepy. I was ok with later Anderson shows though.
Every Saturday at noon our town's fire department would test the air raid siren. Sometimes I'd be playing by myself at the elementary school next door to my house and it would start wailing :eek: The other things that scared me were a pair of carved wooden monks my parents had, and a print of Vincent van Gogh's Self Portrait With Bandaged Ear. Even though it doesn't show anything gory, I still refused to look at it when I had to walk by it.

Last edited:
Well obviously the toilet flushing but also a box that was on the top shelf of a cupboard directly at eye height from me in my bunk bed with Brooke Bond written on it.

Also an advert for Lurpak butter where a man sang all about how great Lurpak tastes and which for some reason made me think of that Brooke Bond box. It might just have been that it gave me the same feeling. I am not looking it up to post here. :p

Well obviously the toilet flushing but also a box that was on the top shelf of a cupboard directly at eye height from me in my bunk bed with Brooke Bond written on it.

Also an advert for Lurpak butter where a man sang all about how great Lurpak tastes and which for some reason made me think of that Brooke Bond box. It might just have been that it gave me the same feeling. I am not looking it up to post here. :p
Allow me to help.

Here is a compilation of Lurpak ads

And here’s an ad for Brooke Bond as well

There was a detail in Bagpuss that always gave me the creeps.
When Bagpuss went to sleep all the characters reverted to they inanimate toy state - and that was fine - but the mice were a spooky exception.
Instead of becoming regular little felt-&-fabric mice toys, they seem to suffer a far more ghastly fate, becoming nothing more than shadowy imprints on the surface of the mouse organ. This caused me a great deal of anguish. I think perhaps my childlike self viewed them as something more akin ghosts, condemned to disappear, shade-like, back into the faded patterns on the woodwork.
Shudders.

Reminds me of a book I read (and loved) as an eight year old. Spooky/mysterious/intriguing picture with a single line of text underneath. One I clearly remember was a picture of a kid, asleep in his bed, with two small UFO's hovering above him. The text read "Are you sure he is the one?" - for the life of me, I cannot recall the title of the book...

As a very young child i was terrified of dead, brown leaves for some reason. I can clearly recall being scared of them but i can't recall why!
These days it's large moths that make my blood run cold. I've worked with massive crocodiles, alligators,, huge snakes and venomous snakes and all kinds of scorpions and spiders but show me a big moth and i'll scream like a girl and run for my life.

Allow me to help.

Here is a compilation of Lurpak ads
Well I was a brave wee soldier and looked. It's the first one. Apparently the character is called Douglas. Someone in the comments said that he scared the shit out of them as a child. So not just me. Though it was the singing voice that did it for me. Still made me cringe just there.

Well I was a brave wee soldier and looked. It's the first one. Apparently the character is called Douglas. Someone in the comments said that he scared the shit out of them as a child. So not just me. Though it was the singing voice that did it for me. Still made me cringe just there.
Yeah I thought it was the first o e from your description.

As a very young child i was terrified of dead, brown leaves for some reason. I can clearly recall being scared of them but i can't recall why!
These days it's large moths that make my blood run cold. I've worked with massive crocodiles, alligators,, huge snakes and venomous snakes and all kinds of scorpions and spiders but show me a big moth and i'll scream like a girl and run for my life.
For the life of me, I can't understand why guys who scream always use this description. Most women I know don't scream...maybe jump with an eeep, but really guys? Why would you bring attention to yourselves? Screaming does nothing, just run.:rofl:

For the life of me, I can't understand why guys who scream always use this description. Most women I know don't scream...maybe jump with an eeep, but really guys? Why would you bring attention to yourselves? Screaming does nothing, just run.:rofl:

It's because that's how girls and women are shown reacting in fillums and on TV.

It's because that's how girls and women are shown reacting in fillums and on TV.

Well Tom Cruise reacts like this
(listen out in particular for the fabulous noise he makes when the inevitable dunking happens at the end...)

Back