• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

b922246c59fb398101cb80d46d0e8c51.jpg

“Why did you imprison me, Blithe? You shouldn’t have done that; it made me angry…”

maximus otter
That looks like someone I went out with when I was at college! She was pretty scary - looked cute and innocent but could start a fight in an empty room.

There is a house just on the corner of my road which has a 'monkey puzzle' tree in their front garden.
They hang lights and decorations on that at xmas.
(for those of you unfamiliar with them, they look a bit xmas tree-ish)
View attachment 61526
They can grow to an immense size. I remember a huge one (the biggest one I've ever seen) that used to be in a front garden in the town where I grew up. I think the owners had to have it removed because it was dangerously big. Or was it a victim of the 1987 storm that blew down so many trees?

There is a house just on the corner of my road which has a 'monkey puzzle' tree in their front garden.
View attachment 61526
Oddly enough, we have have come full circle, because I remember being scared of a monkey puzzle tree in a local hotel garden when I was quite small!

Please forgive me if I have posted this before, which I am certain to have done, somewhere.
I am repulsed and horrified by the sight of tiny clusters of holes or depressions, likewise their inverse (tiny protrusions). The very worst are those *poppy seed pods, and as a child I used to *weep in butcher's shops if I caught sight of a mincer in action. For some reason sieves tend not to upset me, which is rather fortuitous really since I love eating salads.

I also have an issue with carpets, a kind of tactile aversion. The very idea of scraping a knee or arm against one makes me shudder. Both of these examples make me fold over inside just contemplating them. I imagine that to most people these sensations and sights seem quite benign.

*1) The very cruellest thing one can do to a person with trypophobia is post example photos. Anyone who does so ought to consider themselves promptly struck off my xmas card list!
*2) Yes, just like uncle Monty.

Please forgive me if I have posted this before, which I am certain to have done, somewhere.
I am repulsed and horrified by the sight of tiny clusters of holes or depressions, likewise their inverse (tiny protrusions). The very worst are those *poppy seed pods, and as a child I used to *weep in butcher's shops if I caught sight of a mincer in action. For some reason sieves tend not to upset me, which is rather fortuitous really since I love eating salads.

I also have an issue with carpets, a kind of tactile aversion. The very idea of scraping a knee or arm against one makes me shudder. Both of these examples make me fold over inside just contemplating them. I imagine that to most people these sensations and sights seem quite benign.

*1) The very cruellest thing one can do to a person with trypophobia is post example photos. Anyone who does so ought to consider themselves promptly struck off my xmas card list!
We have a thread on phobias which discusses trypophobia.

A Guardian article on it was headed with a photo of some triggering item like a seed pod. As the people who might be most interested in the subject would be repulsed by the image it was soon replaced with a roadworks sign. :chuckle:

We have a thread on phobias which discusses trypophobia.

A Guardian article on it was headed with a photo of some triggering item like a seed pod. As the people who might be most interested in the subject would be repulsed by the image it was soon replaced with a roadworks sign. :chuckle:
Absolutely nothing more terrifying than a roadworks sign.

View attachment 61526

This is my local pub.
To the upper right of the photo, you can just make out the huge Monkey Puzzle tree that used to dominate the pub's beer garden.
Sadly, the tree became diseased, was deemed dangerous and had to be felled a couple of years ago.
They have now planted a young Monkey Puzzle in its place, which should grow as tall as its predecessor in a century or two.

mppub.png

They are disappointing. We have loads of them in the roads around here and there is never any pot in them. Unless the ones we have are just 'holes'? Anyway, we keep reporting them and the council just says they will look into them, like the old joke. I suppose if someone started stealing public lavatories they would tell us they have nothing to go on.

I can relate to this repulsion, with clusters of holes and depressions I mean. I really don’t like it when I cut into a bell pepper either and the seeds are clustered in one spot, thinking about it now is making me grimace!

My tactile aversion is with scrubbing brushes, somebody cleaning a floor with a stiff brush or cleaning their teeth, that noise goes right through me. I’m fine when it comes to brushing my own teeth but even somebody on a film cleaning their teeth, I have to look away and block my ears. I find the thought of rubbing my fingers along the bristles of a stiff brush absolutely repulsive, and don’t even mention wire brushes yuck yuck yuck. My auntie has a similar repulsion but hers is with sealed instant coffee jars and the like - breaking the seal goes right through her.

Back