Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Isnt that what those shutes in blocks of flats are for haha :p
Well, they're great for disposing of plastic bags or rubbish, idiot cats* and such, but bodies get wedged in the chute so attract unwanted attention.

*Yes, my cat did it. He escaped through our front door, barged his way through a firedoor, discovered an incompletely closed "bin chute" door, found that the bin chute 'hatch' was partially open and thought (apparently) "I wonder what's in there!" In a massive panic, we searched out flat, we asked the neighbours, we gazed in horror over the balcony ... until someone said "I think I heard a cat near the bin chute?" We found him unhurt but dirty, sitting on a pile of black plastic sacks of refuse, looking bemused yet interested.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
The only two corpses I've seen taken out to the hearse were in/on body-bag stretcher thingies then slid into a compartment inside the bit the coffin rests on.
Ummm. I worked in a hospital for several years (in finance office which the closest stairwell went down beside the morgue) and so saw bodies taken out. The hospital would contact the person’s funeral home. The funeral employees (not sure what title would be) would pick up the body (already in a body bag) on the stretcher and set a type of pop up box atop the stretcher and wheel it out to the car.

Body bags aren’t only for crime scenes. To be very blunt, a body starts the decay process as soon as someone dies. It has to be contained for proper biohazard material handling.

The weirdest thing to me was that some of the body bags were blue fuzzy on outside - and bright blue, not navy or dark. I can’t remember if these were from the funeral home. Like “no I wouldn’t know that a blue fuzzy bag large enough for a body is not a body bag”.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The funeral employees (not sure what title would be) would pick up the body (already in a body bag) on the stretcher and set a type of pop up box atop the stretcher and wheel it out to the car.
Ah now, that's a shell. It's used to prevent onlookers from seeing the outline of the corpse on the stretcher.
They have them in hospitals too for wheeling deceased patients to the mortuary. My local hospital calls theirs the 'biscuit tins'!

As in
ring ring
'Hello, Mortuary, Bill speaking.'
'Hello Bill, Sister Sue here, biscuit tin for Ward 4 please.'
'Righty-o, Sue! On our way!'

Timothy

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
When I was a young kid the Star Trek cartoon existed and was shown on Saturday morning TV. I tuned in one day and the Klingons were on it. Ask my parents about my reaction to "The lobster headed people"... it was utter revulsion and terror for some reason. No idea why.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My uncle Billy used to do that!

It was even worse when he stole my nose... (if anyone else remembers this from their childhood days!).

I have stolen SO MANY toddlers' noses! :chuckle:

There was also a genuine Victorian joke often played on us by our Welsh Gran, born in 1908, who'd had it from her own Gran, born in the 1880s.

She'd hold out a hand and say 'Look at the monkey!' and we'd naturally look, to see ourselves in a little mirror. Gran'd ROAR with laughter.

We ALWAYS fell for it. :rofl:

I've played that on kids too. Still works. :cool:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have stolen SO MANY toddlers' noses! :chuckle:

There was also a genuine Victorian joke often played on us by our Welsh Gran, born in 1908, who'd had it from her own Gran, born in the 1880s.

She'd hold out a hand and say 'Look at the monkey!' and we'd naturally look, to see ourselves in a little mirror. Gran'd ROAR with laughter.

We ALWAYS fell for it. :rofl:

I've played that on kids too. Still works. :cool:
That reminds me, there is a zoo (cant remember which one) where there is a sign that says 'the most dangerous animal in the world' you look through the window and its a mirror,

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Not if you cut them up...er...at least I think so...
But doesn't cutting 'em up encourage putrefaction? I mean, leave 'em in bigger bits and they don't decay as quick?
When I was a young kid the Star Trek cartoon existed and was shown on Saturday morning TV. I tuned in one day and the Klingons were on it. Ask my parents about my reaction to "The lobster headed people"... it was utter revulsion and terror for some reason. No idea why.
Dunno why but as soon as I read this, I thought another term would be "Walnut nuts*".

* 'Nut' as in 'head', of course.