Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
A teaspoon of cod liver oil.

Anyone else remember frantically finding somewhere to hide, when that vile 'medicine' was imminent.
I got a Haliborange tablet (assume from halibut liver oil) which was like a yummy sweet. My mum as a kid in rural Germany was given a lump of yeast instead - not so yummy.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
I was given the col liver oil and some stuff called 'virol' for a time when I was little. As I recall the oil wasn't nice but was bearable and the 'virol' tasted alright. nice even. I've just looked up the ingredients and wish I'd spat it out!

In later years we had Haliborange which as @Bad Bungle states was more like a sweet :)

Sollywos x

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Me too, I liked it but then, for a while, my mother made us put sawdust on our breakfast cereal :puke2: It was some sort of bran that was "good for us"
Quinoa ? It's put on everything these days

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Me too, I liked it but then, for a while, my mother made us put sawdust on our breakfast cereal :puke2: It was some sort of bran that was "good for us"
Sounds like oat bran. I put a small amount in my homemade muesli .... just adds a nice bit of texture. :)

Sollywos x

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There's also something called grape nuts, which is toasted bran broken into small nodules.
It's OK.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Grape-Nuts isn't known as a bran source. Your description sounds more like one of the mass market American bran cereals (e.g., Kellogg's All-Bran). All-Bran is relatively soft, whereas Grape-Nuts are hard.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Grape-Nuts isn't known as a bran source. Your description sounds more like one of the mass market American bran cereals (e.g., Kellogg's All-Bran). All-Bran is relatively soft, whereas Grape-Nuts are hard.
Oh! You're right. I always thought it was made from bran.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, in that case ... You may be talking about wheat germ - a supplement consisting of the allegedly most nutritious part of wheat. It used to be sold in jars for adding to cereal or as an additive in cooking or baking.

Not long ago I went looking for wheat germ but couldn't find any at my local grocery stores.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Oh, in that case ... You may be talking about wheat germ - a supplement consisting of the allegedly most nutritious part of wheat. It used to be sold in jars for adding to cereal or as an additive in cooking or baking.

Not long ago I went looking for wheat germ but couldn't find any at my local grocery stores.
Keep yer germs to yerself!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I got a Haliborange tablet (assume from halibut liver oil) which was like a yummy sweet.
I remember those well. They were like medicinal orange Smarties, though a bit smaller. The orange flavour was concentrated in the outside shell, iirc; chewing them would unleash the fishy goodness from within. At least, they did not have liquid centres! At other periods, we were dosed with Brewers' Yeast tablets and a Cinnamon Essence, all, presumably, to stave off coughs and colds.

Back to scary/non-scary things. I have been trying to find the illustration which scared and fascinated me as a kid in school. Maybe it was really scary but I think it just belonged to that Victorian/Edwardian school of fairy and fantasy art. The book was a cheap schools-edition of John Ruskin's fable The King of the Golden River and the scene was of two old kitchen pots floating down a stream.

But they had faces! Bulbous and hideous faces!

I would go to that book, frequently, just to assure myself that the faces were still there, being evil. They never let me down, sending me off, with a perverse frisson, to read another book in order to forget . . . :reading::reading::reading:

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
I love this board!

I love how a thread about being scared of not-obviously-scary-things can travel the range to encompass discussion of varieties of breakfast fare laced with bran to the 'joys' of cod liver oil - via an escalator, of course!

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh, in that case ... You may be talking about wheat germ
As I lay in bed last night, slowly drifting off, I was thinking "what was the name of that bloody stuff, it must be in my memory somewhere... I bet EnolaGaia will be able to work it out though and post something"

I am humbled in your presence sir, truly humbled :bdown:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I always feel that creature is actually using the blocks to spell out a message, like some sort of highly inconvenient Ouija board
Good point, and something Hoffine suggests he intended to convey ...

If you look closely at the image, you'll see two groups of blocks arranged in neat lines (in front of the clawed hands). From your point of view they spell out "Daddy" "No" when read from (your) left to right.

(The less clearly arranged 3 blocks in the extreme lower right-hand corner spell out "Duh", which may or may not have been intentional ... )

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

If you look closely at the image, you'll see two groups of blocks arranged in neat lines (in front of the clawed hands). From your point of view they spell out "Daddy" "No" when read from (your) left to right.

(The less clearly arranged 3 blocks in the extreme lower right-hand corner spell out "Duh", which may or may not have been intentional ... )
The blocks in the foreground spell out
'daddy no' :oops:
Screenshot_20210219-132514.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score

As if it wasn't terrifying enough already...

:eek:

Seattle21

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I was read the 3 little pigs often as a young kid and in particular, the UK Ladybird version in the mid 70s. This particular edition was full of what I can only describe as utterly terrifying depictions of the wolf. It gives me the fear just searching the images on Google. I mean, come ON!!!!!

Little-Pig-Ladybird-by-Robert-Lumley-3.jpg

And if this wasn't enough, researching to find the above picture dredged up another Ladybird horror, "The wolf and the 7 Little Kids". This lovely image is shortly after the billy-goat had performed some sort of Cronenbergian surgery on the wolf, placing rocks in it's abdomen. My mother actually used to read me this shit as I was about to go to sleep!!

EWjL6LkXsAYSgaX.jpg

Sleep tight folks!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I was read the 3 little pigs often as a young kid and in particular, the UK Ladybird version in the mid 70s. This particular edition was full of what I can only describe as utterly terrifying depictions of the wolf. It gives me the fear just searching the images on Google. I mean, come ON!!!!!

View attachment 35643

And if this wasn't enough, researching to find the above picture dredged up another Ladybird horror, "The wolf and the 7 Little Kids". This lovely image is shortly after the billy-goat had performed some sort of Cronenbergian surgery on the wolf, placing rocks in it's abdomen. My mother actually used to read me this shit as I was about to go to sleep!!

View attachment 35644

Sleep tight folks!
The Ladybird edition of the 3 Little Pigs was my favourite book when I was little. I treasured that book. Loved the artwork.
This one:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Yep, I remember the wolf being sewn up with rocks ! But by that stage I had survived Grimms, Christian Andersen, Wilhelm Busch, Struwwelpeter and god knows what passed for suitable reading material by my German parents. But it wasn't the stories that were scary so much as some of the illustrations. I think it was the 'The Red Shoes' where the girl was made to dance and could only stop until she persuaded an axe-man to cut her feet off. Bottom of last page was a line-drawing of her staggering off on crutches - her spurting feet were still dancing on the top page of the next story.