• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

The weirdest thing to me was that some of the body bags were blue fuzzy on outside - and bright blue, not navy or dark.

cookie monster.jpg

The funeral employees (not sure what title would be) would pick up the body (already in a body bag) on the stretcher and set a type of pop up box atop the stretcher and wheel it out to the car.

Ah now, that's a shell. It's used to prevent onlookers from seeing the outline of the corpse on the stretcher.
They have them in hospitals too for wheeling deceased patients to the mortuary. My local hospital calls theirs the 'biscuit tins'!

As in
ring ring
'Hello, Mortuary, Bill speaking.'
'Hello Bill, Sister Sue here, biscuit tin for Ward 4 please.'
'Righty-o, Sue! On our way!'

When I was a young kid the Star Trek cartoon existed and was shown on Saturday morning TV. I tuned in one day and the Klingons were on it. Ask my parents about my reaction to "The lobster headed people"... it was utter revulsion and terror for some reason. No idea why.

Nope, I watched him put them back in again and thought one day my teeth would be detachable as well. I used to keep checking, never quite sure when it could happen.
Like when people removed their thumb and made it run up their arm. ;)

My uncle Billy used to do that!

It was even worse when he stole my nose... (if anyone else remembers this from their childhood days!).

I have stolen SO MANY toddlers' noses! :chuckle:

There was also a genuine Victorian joke often played on us by our Welsh Gran, born in 1908, who'd had it from her own Gran, born in the 1880s.

She'd hold out a hand and say 'Look at the monkey!' and we'd naturally look, to see ourselves in a little mirror. Gran'd ROAR with laughter.

We ALWAYS fell for it. :rofl:

I've played that on kids too. Still works. :cool:

I have stolen SO MANY toddlers' noses! :chuckle:

There was also a genuine Victorian joke often played on us by our Welsh Gran, born in 1908, who'd had it from her own Gran, born in the 1880s.

She'd hold out a hand and say 'Look at the monkey!' and we'd naturally look, to see ourselves in a little mirror. Gran'd ROAR with laughter.

We ALWAYS fell for it. :rofl:

I've played that on kids too. Still works. :cool:
That reminds me, there is a zoo (cant remember which one) where there is a sign that says 'the most dangerous animal in the world' you look through the window and its a mirror,

Not if you cut them up...er...at least I think so...
But doesn't cutting 'em up encourage putrefaction? I mean, leave 'em in bigger bits and they don't decay as quick?
When I was a young kid the Star Trek cartoon existed and was shown on Saturday morning TV. I tuned in one day and the Klingons were on it. Ask my parents about my reaction to "The lobster headed people"... it was utter revulsion and terror for some reason. No idea why.
Dunno why but as soon as I read this, I thought another term would be "Walnut nuts*".

* 'Nut' as in 'head', of course.

I grew up in rural PA... We had a slightly different term for walnuts and one that I wholeheartedly regret using as a child before knowing what one of the words meant.

I got given a concoction of cod liver oil and molasses. I think the molasses was to 'take away' the flavour of the oil.
No, it didn't. It just added to the revolting mess.

A teaspoon of cod liver oil.

Anyone else remember frantically finding somewhere to hide, when that vile 'medicine' was imminent.
I got a Haliborange tablet (assume from halibut liver oil) which was like a yummy sweet. My mum as a kid in rural Germany was given a lump of yeast instead - not so yummy.

I was given the col liver oil and some stuff called 'virol' for a time when I was little. As I recall the oil wasn't nice but was bearable and the 'virol' tasted alright. nice even. I've just looked up the ingredients and wish I'd spat it out!

In later years we had Haliborange which as @Bad Bungle states was more like a sweet :)

Sollywos x

Me too, I liked it but then, for a while, my mother made us put sawdust on our breakfast cereal :puke2: It was some sort of bran that was "good for us"
Sounds like oat bran. I put a small amount in my homemade muesli .... just adds a nice bit of texture. :)

Sollywos x

Back