• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Now living close to Scarborough, I can't tell of anyone actually visiting his grave/flat publicly. In fact, from what I've heard the locals would act with extreme prejudice should it be publicised.
A source told the publication: "People still drop by and leave the odd bunch of flowers."
Yeah. A "source". Because they know how popular it'd be that this was a 'thing'.
I'm actually surprised.
Firstly, the sheer stupidity of giving him "an unmarked grave" by taking away a shitty headstone but outlining it with fencing. Dig the bastard up and move him to a secret location.
Better still, shove his carcass into a landfill.
Secondly, I'm surprised no one has dug him up, robbed the gold casket and then etc. etc.

Last edited:
Now living close to Scarborough, I can't tell of anyone actually visiting his grave/flat publicly. In fact, from what I've heard the locals would act with extreme prejudice should it be publicised.

Yeah. A "source". Because they know how popular it'd be that this was a 'thing'.
I'm actually surprised.
Firstly, the sheer stupidity of giving him "an unmarked grave" by taking away a shitty headstone but outlining it with fencing. Dig the bastard up and move him to a secret location.
Secondly, I'm surprised no one has dug him up, robbed the gold casket and then etc. etc.
Hello to another North Yorkshireite!

I'm actually surprised.

I'd assumed the way it was reported at the time, that they had dug him up in the night and moved him to an unmarked grave (although that would have been, obvious if it was the only fresh grave at the time...) but from what you say, it sounds like they just grubbed up the headstone?

I was on a Movie Forum years back when some-one wanted the name of a film he'd seen the Cinema trailer for. A kid was in bed (I think) on the top floor of a building and a passing giant briefly looked in through the window. Not scary as such as it was an animation but certainly unsettling for some-one of a certain age. We decided it could only be BFG (the Big Friendly Giant 1989, not the Disney one) although I never saw the trailer.
Then I found this image, again not scary but somehow unsettling.

View attachment 35651
Having played my fair share of building games there is not way Kaiju Jesus is not tormenting those poor office workers - poking his finger in the windows and squashing them against the back walls, blocking the doors and slowly removing the lower levels to see how much punishment the building can take before it collapses...

Wolves scared me as a kid, but funnily enough it was the ones from the book of The Polar Express that really got to me (no idea why).
Rd723422e914755a26dbe970a634468bf

Also octopuses. I've been terrified/repulsed by them since I was about 7 and still am.

Also octopuses. I've been terrified/repulsed by them since I was about 7 and still am.

You won't like that photo someone posted on'ere last week then, of some bloke wearing nothing but two of them! :chuckle:

You won't like that photo someone posted on'ere last week then, of some bloke wearing nothing but two of them! :chuckle:
No, I absolutely wouldn't. It would stay with me for weeks.

I put it down to a combination of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", "Octopussy", a book/story of my Dad's about a culture where the ritual of passing to manhood involved swimming out to sea and fighting an octopus, and a trip to Hastings Sea Life Centre. My hazy memory imagines that these happened in quick succession, but I doubt it.

I put it down to a combination of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", "Octopussy", a book/story of my Dad's about a culture where the ritual of passing to manhood involved swimming out to sea and fighting an octopus, and a trip to Hastings Sea Life Centre. My hazy memory imagines that these happened in quick succession, but I doubt it.
I’d give Oldboy a wide berth too if I were you.

Chewbacca used to scare me. I could never work out how anyone would want to hang out with a half werewolf, half sasquatch even if he was a decent bloke. He looked/looks absolutely terrifying.

It was considered witty for a while to nickname nickname tall male colleagues Chewbacca, remember that?
(Oh yeah, before you were born! :chuckle: )

I read this rather quickly and thought that you had to go to Hastings Sea Life Centre to fight an octopus in order to pass to manhood. That would be a most odd tourist attraction...

It was considered witty for a while to nickname nickname tall male colleagues Chewbacca, remember that?
(Oh yeah, before you were born! :chuckle: )
I was born in 73, Star Wars was released in the late 70's you cheeky little scamp. :p .. and no, I don't remember workplace banter during that time frame .. you coffin dodger ..

I read this rather quickly and thought that you had to go to Hastings Sea Life Centre to fight an octopus in order to pass to manhood. That would be a most odd tourist attraction...
It wouldn't surprise me if that was a rite of passage in Hastings.

Edit: Upon re-reading my post, it could also be inferred that part of this rite of passage was simply a visit to Hastings Sea Life Centre as a final challenge after overcoming the octopus.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a rite of passage in Hastings.

Edit: Upon re-reading my post, it could also be inferred that part of this rite of passage was simply a visit to Hastings Sea Life Centre as a final challenge after overcoming the octopus.

The weirdest thing about that story is that you imagined a Sealife Centre in Hastings.

I'm actually surprised.
I'd assumed the way it was reported at the time, that they had dug him up in the night and moved him to an unmarked grave (although that would have been, obvious if it was the only fresh grave at the time...) but from what you say, it sounds like they just grubbed up the headstone?

Savile is still there rotting away in his golden coffin. He had arranged to have concrete poured over it before the grave was filled. This, and the epitaph he chose 'It was good while it lasted' suggest he knew what would come out about him after his death.

He got clean away with it and all anyone could do was remove his gravestone.

Having played my fair share of building games there is not way Kaiju Jesus is not tormenting those poor office workers - poking his finger in the windows and squashing them against the back walls, blocking the doors and slowly removing the lower levels to see how much punishment the building can take before it collapses...

Don't think 'Kaiju Jesus' was the intended impression here - probably something religious at a guess.

In real life I don’t have any issues with lifts (elevators). However, in dreams, I am terrified of them. They pretty much always turn into the lifts in the long demolished Dalton House in Risley, Warrington. Never had any issue with them when I worked in the building and would happily ride the paternosters as well.

in my dreams the lift always comes loose from the sides of the shaft and starts swaying on its cable. For some inexplicable reason the doors always disappear as well. Totally bonkers.

This is how flying craft always are in my dreams. They fall, they swoop impossibly around and crash, they tilt perilously on their sides and start floating then crash....
I didn't fear flying at first (it was awesome!) but I actually dislike it now. I don't think that's related to my dreams though-- it's wondering what odd noises the next plane will make (or where all that water that poured out of the drink fridge, onto the floor of the plane, is going!)

This is how flying craft always are in my dreams. They fall, they swoop impossibly around and crash, they tilt perilously on their sides and start floating then crash....
I didn't fear flying at first (it was awesome!) but I actually dislike it now. I don't think that's related to my dreams though-- it's wondering what odd noises the next plane will make (or where all that water that poured out of the drink fridge, onto the floor of the plane, is going!)

i have the same issues with aeroplanes in my dreams as well. They invariably crash.

MEGAJESUS IS WATCHING YOU!!!

edited for spelling mega wrong lol
I think it's the UN Building, too.
....gigajesus versus godzilla is a movie I would see, but given that one ultraman show with the crosses (am I remembering that right?) maybe Jesus should fight Ultraman...
..... this is probably blasphemy to someone

Back