• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Were they radioactive?:worry:
LOL! The funny thing about him is that he always was somewhat afraid of bugs, as am I.
One night one of the pubs in town was giving a party for some official, and he was invited - but he was told he had to behave, no crazy drinking or smoking anything illegal. He was known for smoking something that left him feeling like there 'were bugs crawling on him', and he would end up in the men's room, ripping his shirt and pants off. LOL
Anyway, he dressed up for this party in clothes he hadn't worn for some time, really dressy shirt, and kept his drinking minimal. And at some point, he felt the same old thing - something was running around underneath his shirt.
But he behaved, didn't run to the men's room to search for bugs, and finally got home at 4:00 a.m., after feeling 'buggy' all night.
He took his shirt off and threw it on the floor, and - I cringe thinking about this - a Centipede ran out!
So all night he had this thing running around under his shirt! :)

We were looking after our grandson, who's just turned 4 yesterday.
As usual, my wife had a quick look through the kids' channels on TV for something to keep him amused for a while. He's a bit past the Peppa Pig stage, so we thought Clifford the Big Red Dog would be suitable. The movie even features John Cleese, so we thought it may have some entertainment value for grown-ups too.
All started well, with smiles and a declaration "I like Clifford" and I returned to my home office to check up on my emails.
Suddenly, I heard a shriek, followed by sobbing and a stammery "Don't like Clifford now".
It was the scene where Clifford has grown to a huge size and develops a deep, booming woof that totally freaked our grandson out.

download.jpeg

He wouldn't even return to the living room until we reassured him that the offending movie had been removed from the screen. Back to Peppa Pig for a while, to banish the horrors of Clifford the Big Red Dog!

Last edited:
As usual, my wife had a quick look through the kids' channels on TV for something to keep him amused for a while. He's a bit past the Peppa Pig stage, so we thought Clifford the Big Red Dog would be suitable. The movie even features John Cleese, so we thought it may have some entertainment value for grown-ups too.
All started well, with smiles and a declaration "I like Clifford" and I returned to my home office to check up on my emails.
Suddenly, I heard a shriek, followed by sobbing and a stammery "Don't like Clifford now".
It was the scene where Clifford has grown to a huge size and develops a deep, booming woof that totally freaked our grandson out.

View attachment 56494
He wouldn't even return to the living room until we reassured him that the offending movie had been removed from the screen. Back to Peppa Pig for a while, to banish the horrors of Clifford the Big Red Dog!
Awwww. Poor Clifford! He's just a pussy cat really.

Reminds me somewhat of my daughter coming upstairs crying her eyes out after watching Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch. All she could say was "Stitch is dead!" I asked her why she hadn't watched to the end of the film and she replied "Because Stitch is dead!" I have never been so grateful for the Internet when I was able to find the relevant bit on Youtube and watch it with her to calm her down.

Youngest was trying to get her now 5 year old to put on his pants. He refused as he didn't like the design which looked a bit like a skull.
He told her" Give them them Odin he's evil" This is a boy at kinder who bit him on the back when they were younger.

Reminds me somewhat of my daughter coming upstairs crying her eyes out after watching Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch. All she could say was "Stitch is dead!" I asked her why she hadn't watched to the end of the film and she replied "Because Stitch is dead!" I have never been so grateful for the Internet when I was able to find the relevant bit on Youtube and watch it with her to calm her down.
Youngest daughter was inconsolable at Ice Age in the cinema because Diego apparently died. She, too, nearly missed the end of the film where he comes back because she was so upset.

I can remember as a kid being upset watching movies where a character gets killed off. But they usually came back to life. Disney did that over and over again. Baloo in 'The Jungle Book', Trusty in 'Lady and the Tramp', and obviously Snow White in... err... 'Snow White'. Even as a kid I felt a bit like my emotions were being manipulated. At least Bambi's mum had the decency to stay dead!

Now it really annoys me if someone gets killed off... "but not really! Look, here they are, back alive and all happy". Such a clichéd old cop-out. And a cynical ploy. Don't insult my intelligence. I have friends who are more than happy to do that job, thanks.

I can remember as a kid being upset watching movies where a character gets killed off. But they usually came back to life. Disney did that over and over again. Baloo in 'The Jungle Book', Trusty in 'Lady and the Tramp', and obviously Snow White in... err... 'Snow White'. Even as a kid I felt a bit like my emotions were being manipulated. At least Bambi's mum had the decency to stay dead!
I think that Disney may have had some criticism for killing off Bambi's mum, so they changed the outcomes of other films.

Now it really annoys me if someone gets killed off... "but not really! Look, here they are, back alive and all happy". Such a clichéd old cop-out. And a cynical ploy. Don't insult my intelligence. I have friends who are more than happy to do that job, thanks.
Have you ever read Kipling's actual Jungle Books? They are a million miles away from the disney bastardization. They are dark, mysterious and red in tooth and claw. All about belonging and alienation. Utterly magic.

Have you ever read Kipling's actual Jungle Books? They are a million miles away from the disney bastardization. They are dark, mysterious and red in tooth and claw. All about belonging and alienation. Utterly magic.
Yeah, I actually read one of them when I was about 10. At around that time I was heavily into Disney's animated features and also devoured Felix Salten's "Bambi', JM Barrie's "Peter Pan", Dodie Smith's "The One Hundred and One Dalmatians" and Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". All of them pretty unlike the Disney versions. In particular, I found Kipling's writing quite challenging and I'm sure a lot if it went way over my head. But I do honestly still have a lot of nostalgic affection for the Disney cartoon version, as I do the Disneyfied versions of all of the others mentioned above. They genuinely enriched my childhood. Of course they are quite different from the source works, but the source works are always there for people to enjoy as well.

Youngest was trying to get her now 5 year old to put on his pants. He refused as he didn't like the design which looked a bit like a skull.
He told her" Give them them Odin he's evil" This is a boy at kinder who bit him on the back when they were younger.
Someone called their kid "Odin"? I met a "Storm" the other day and a "Mowgli" lives in the village but the is the first "Odin" I have come across

Eyespy I thought it a bit unusual too but my daughter said that she thinks they are Scandinavian.
Both parents are over 6 foot tall and big people so I guess their son takes after them.
He loves to give my grandson bear hugs which doesn't really please him as he's not a huggy type of child

LOL - I know a dog around the corner, his name is 'Odie'! (I don't know if I'm spelling it right!)

The dog's name probably comes from Odie the dog in Garfield.

The given name "Odie" - a variant or nickname of 'Odell' or 'Otis', is a known but rare and archaic boy's name. It doesn't come from "Odin."

I was weened of proper Doctor Who and Hammer Horror, neither of them scared me but this bastard did. Humphery Cushion from Hickory House. The bugger freaked me out.
Haha! Yes indeed! Humphrey was as creepy as anything I've seen on tv. Even worse than Hartley "Roadkill" Hare from "Pipkins". I had a conversation with a colleague a few months ago about the nightmare known as Humphrey Cushion and she had been terrified of him. What in Bod's name were they thinking about??? Mind you, I've just remembered NoseyBonk (iirc he cheerfully traumatised innocent kiddies on a show called "Jigsaw" ??) who I think was in part the inspiration for the tulpa-like ChuckleTeeth (again, I hope I am recalling that correctly) who appeared in one of the later epiodes of "The X-Files" (i.e. from the revival of the series 5 or 6 years ago). Eye-poppingly disturbing. Anyone else want to nominate creepy kids' characters? I bet there are dozens of them..... weirdoes.

Humphrey cushion……takes the expression, sit on my face, just a bit too far… won’t someone please think of the children!!

Hector, from Hector's House used to scare me. He was basically cute, but there was something about the glassy-eyed stare. I think I might just not like puppets very much.

Oh got another one.
When I was a nipper I got a Readers Digest book for xmas called "the last two million years". It was a great slab of a tome with marble effect covers, full of potted history stuff.

Anyway there was a reproduction of Davids "The Death of Marat" which frightened the beejeebers out of me and I always skipped the page it was on.

Death_of_Marat_by_David.jpg

Edit to correct book title.

Last edited:
Haha! Yes indeed! Humphrey was as creepy as anything I've seen on tv. Even worse than Hartley "Roadkill" Hare from "Pipkins". I had a conversation with a colleague a few months ago about the nightmare known as Humphrey Cushion and she had been terrified of him. What in Bod's name were they thinking about??? Mind you, I've just remembered NoseyBonk (iirc he cheerfully traumatised innocent kiddies on a show called "Jigsaw" ??) who I think was in part the inspiration for the tulpa-like ChuckleTeeth (again, I hope I am recalling that correctly) who appeared in one of the later epiodes of "The X-Files" (i.e. from the revival of the series 5 or 6 years ago). Eye-poppingly disturbing. Anyone else want to nominate creepy kids' characters? I bet there are dozens of them..... weirdoes.
He's back!

View attachment 56494

Just as a follow-up, I watched the entire movie to check if there were any even remotely disturbing sequences (there wasn't) and I thought the best way for our grandson to get over his fear would be for him to watch the film's ending.
It is a kid's movie, so I hope you'll forgive the spoiler.
Some jobsworth police want to take Clifford away, but the girl makes an impassioned speech about just because he's different doesn't mean she doesn't love him. Cue lots of public support and cuddles for Clifford. Not a dry eye in the house and a suitably happy ending. Grandson was here yesterday and enjoyed the ending. He even laughed along when Clifford galloped off carrying the dad on his back. I've saved our recording of Clifford, as I suspect it will be asked for regularly henceforth.

Oh got another one.
When I was a nipper I got a Readers Digest book for xmas called "the last two million years". It was a great slab of a tome with marble effect covers, full of potted history stuff.

Anyway there was a reproduction of Davids "The Death of Marat" which frightened the beejeebers out of me and I always skipped the page it was on.

View attachment 56712

Edit to correct book title.

Marat, we're poor
And the poor stay poor
Marat, don't make us wait any more
We want our rights and we don't care how
We want a revolution now. ~rip Peter Brook

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a follow-up, I watched the entire movie to check if there were any even remotely disturbing sequences (there wasn't) and I thought the best way for our grandson to get over his fear would be for him to watch the film's ending.
It is a kid's movie, so I hope you'll forgive the spoiler.
Some jobsworth police want to take Clifford away, but the girl makes an impassioned speech about just because he's different doesn't mean she doesn't love him. Cue lots of public support and cuddles for Clifford. Not a dry eye in the house and a suitably happy ending. Grandson was here yesterday and enjoyed the ending. He even laughed along when Clifford galloped off carrying the dad on his back. I've saved our recording of Clifford, as I suspect it will be asked for regularly henceforth.
Awwwww! See. I told you he was a pussy cat.

Back