• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strangeness On The Road

NomDeGuerre

Devoted Cultist
Long-time lurker, new poster, inspired to finally join...

I've had a few experiences I'd chalk up as unexplained or verging on my definition of the supernatural, but none so clear as one I shared with my mum about a decade ago.

I was learning to drive at the time and, with a learner's zeal, desperate to get behind the wheel whenever I could. One evening, my mum agreed I could take her into Nuneaton (our nearest town) to visit some relatives. It was a January evening, around 6pm, and so darkness had already fallen (as I say, learner's zeal and all that...)

I don't know if many people are familiar with the highways and byways of North Warwickshire, but the quickest route into 'Nuneaton proper' from the A5 that cuts through the county is via the A444, a fairly secluded slice of road that runs perpendicular to the much busier A5.

So, drive down there we did in a line of about three or four other cars (I'd say we were the second car back from the front). What's remarkable about this particular stretch of road is that there's no footpaths, no streetlights and very dense, very high hedges on either side. My mum and I were conversing about nothing in particular as we rounded a bend when the headlights of the car in front picked out a shape in the lane - definitely 'man shaped', but with a kind of shimmering haze around it (I'd later describe it as looking 'solid but not filled in', if that makes any sense at all).

The shape wasn't stationary, and had moved across the road and directly into the path of the vehicle in front. I slammed on my breaks, expecting the car in front to do the same and... nothing. The vehicle passed through exactly where the shape should have been without (seemingly) reacting in anyway at all.

Both my mum and I looked instinctively to our left (if someone had crossed, they'd have had no time to make it safely over and scale the very tightly packed hedgerow without being seen) and saw absolutely nothing.

it wasn't until we got home that my mum brought it up and we both remembered it in exactly the same fashion. The same sequence of events, the same man-shaped (but not quite) figure, the same hazy / waviness that surrounded it.

I've looked into other anecdotes about that road since and have a found a few other accounts (a phantom cyclist floating several feet off the ground being the most notable) but nothing else that would tally with what we saw.

Last edited:
Not being facetious, but do you think you could have seen the so-called British Bigfoot as discussed on the forum recently? Was this a big fella? If you did not identify it as such, is it the type of figure you can imagine being regarded as the BB?

I’d need to look into it more but it didn’t look out of proportion... I definitely saw legs and a head, but it looked about the height of your average man.

I’ll have a look at that thread, though.

OK, probably just your average countryside apparition (!). It was just on the offchance, considering the location.

I've had a few experiences I'd chalk up as unexplained or verging on my definition of the supernatural, but none so clear as one I shared with my mum about a decade ago.

I was learning to drive at the time and, with a learner's zeal, desperate to get behind the wheel whenever I could. One evening, my mum agreed I could take her into Nuneaton (our nearest town) to visit some relatives. It was a January evening, around 6pm, and so darkness had already fallen (as I say, learner's zeal and all that...)

I don't know if many people are familiar with the highways and byways of North Warwickshire, but the quickest route into 'Nuneaton proper' from the A5 that cuts through the county is via the A444, a fairly secluded slice of road that runs perpendicular to the much busier A5.

So, drive down there we did in a line of about three or four other cars (I'd say we were the second car back from the front). What's remarkable about this particular road is that there's no footpaths, no streetlights and very dense, very high hedges on either side. My mum and I were conversing about nothing in particular as we rounded a bend when the headlights of the car in front picked out a shape in the lane - definitely 'man shaped', but with a kind of shimmering haze around it (I'd later describe it as looking 'solid but not filled in', if that makes any sense at all).

The shape wasn't stationary, and had moved across the road and directly into the path of the vehicle in front. I slammed on my breaks, expecting the car in front to do the same and... nothing. The vehicle passed through exactly where the shape should have been without (seemingly) reacting in anyway at all.

Both my mum and I looked instinctively to our left (if someone had crossed, they'd have had no time to make it safely over and scale the very tightly packed hedgerow without being seen) and saw absolutely nothing.

it wasn't until we got home that my mum brought it up and we both remembered it in exactly the same fashion. The same sequence of events, the same man-shaped (but not quite) figure, the same hazy / waviness that surrounded it.

I've looked into other anecdotes about that road since and have a found a few other accounts (a phantom cyclist floating several feet off the ground being the most notable) but nothing else that would tally with what we saw.

I went to college in Nuneaton and used to dive that road (I also almost ran a bloke over in Nuneaton but that's for another thread) .. could you please go on Google Streetview and post the screen grab of where this happened? .. hello btw ..

I went to college in Nuneaton and used to dive that road (I also almost ran a bloke over in Nuneaton but that's for another thread) .. could you please go on Google Streetview and post the screen grab of where this happened? .. hello btw ..

Hello! Are you a fellow KEGS survivor?

Absolutely, will grab it when I’m back on my laptop in the morning. I remember it being the first bend as you leave the A5, if that helps?

Hello! Are you a fellow KEGS survivor?

Absolutely, will grab it when I’m back on my laptop in the morning. I remember it being the first bend as you leave the A5, if that helps?
I'm a NWCTA survivor :) .. KEGS doesn't ring any bells? .. if you could find a shot of the exact area you both had the sighting, that would great.

Returning as promised with the screenshot of where we had the sighting - it was in the centre of the road (where I've placed the arrow).

Attachments

• weddington.png
    weddington.png
    1 MB · Views: 94
Oooh, mysterious!

To eliminate the obvious, was there anything at the side of the road that could have thrown a shadow (which may appear to move in the headlights as the car moved)?

One possibility springs to mind. Was it breezy or windy that evening? Also had a car or lorry recently passed from the other direction? I ask as this could have been a bit of plastic sheet or bin liner billowing about. If it went under the car in front and got snagged, it could just seem to have disappeared.

Oooh, mysterious!

To eliminate the obvious, was there anything at the side of the road that could have thrown a shadow (which may appear to move in the headlights as the car moved)?

Certainly nothing that either of us noticed!

I use that road at least once a week, I'd say, and have driven along it in all sorts of weather conditions and at various times of day. Have never witnessed anything similar before or since (although I now half expect to see someone sitting in the backseat when driving down there after dark!)

On a tangential note, recounting this story to my grandma a few days later got her to reveal her own bit of road weirdness which, again, was shared with someone else.

Long before I was born, she and her sister were out for a Sunday drive with their respective husbands (my grandad and great uncle). The two men were up front with the two sisters in the back, driving down a rural lane (although I don't know where exactly, unfortunately).

As they were approaching a farm lane that served as an offshoot to the main road, both sisters saw a man on a motorbike approaching them at speed. Calling out and bracing for impact, they were completely dumbfounded when nothing happened - the motorcyclist had seemingly disappeared. Weirdly, the two men in the front hadn't seen or heard a thing, and would have a better view of the farm track.

We're not really a family given to talking about stuff like this, and sadly my grandma is no longer with us, but I loved that little bit of weirdness she shared. Would love to find the lane!

One possibility springs to mind. Was it breezy or windy that evening? Also had a car or lorry recently passed from the other direction? I ask as this could have been a bit of plastic sheet or bin liner billowing about. If it went under the car in front and got snagged, it could just seem to have disappeared.

It was definitely raining but I don't remember it being particularly windy (although it was January!)

Oooh, mysterious!

I was wondering the same thing .. although even distant lighting in the exact area might be different from about a decade ago as explained. We'd possibly benefit from having a direct link to the steetview page so we can 'click and travel' up and down that stretch and use the 360 degree function to have a look around .. sorry NomDeGuerre but have you also got that direct interactive link please?

edit: it this the shadow of a streetlamp? ..

Attachments

• aweddington.png
    aweddington.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes, sure - here you go!
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.555...4!1sp36djvI3XbyMcjV8UvZi_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's the shadow of an electricity pole / cable.
Thanks .. I'm off for a virtual drive now.

edit: not a paranormal observation but I can't see what's caused the shadow I added a red arrow pointing towards .. I can see a newer replaced wooden panel in the fence where a pole should be which is roughly opposite the spot on the road where you had your sighting. Your sighting was about ten years ago though so the landscape will have changed.

Last edited:
Thanks .. I'm off for a virtual drive now.

edit: not a paranormal observation but I can't see what's caused the shadow I added a red arrow pointing towards .. I can see a newer replaced wooden panel in the fence where a pole should be which is roughly opposite the spot on the road where you had your sighting. Your sighting was about ten years ago though so the landscape will have changed.

Time stood still there donkey’s years ago.

NomDeGuerre:

Just for confirmation ...

It being dark, the cars following you had their headlights on - right?

This sighting / incident happened as you were rounding (or had finished rounding) a bend or curve to the left - is that correct?

The apparent figure was first seen to the (to your ... ) right of the road or on the rightmost half of the road in front of you - correct?

If you were following the lead car, and you saw the figure move leftward to a position directly in front of the lead car, this implies you saw the figure (at that point in time) through the lead car's rear window / windshield. Is this correct?

NomDeGuerre:

Just for confirmation ...

It being dark, the cars following you had their headlights on - right?

This sighting / incident happened as you were rounding (or had finished rounding) a bend or curve to the left - is that correct?

The apparent figure was first seen to the (to your ... ) right of the road or on the rightmost half of the road in front of you - correct?

If you were following the lead car, and you saw the figure move leftward to a position directly in front of the lead car, this implies you saw the figure (at that point in time) through the lead car's rear window / windshield. Is this correct?

You've raised an interesting point.

Yes, the cars behind had their headlights on.

The figure seemed to be travelling from right (drivers side) to left (passengers) and yes, we were rounding the bend.

We didn't see the figure through the windscreen of the car in front, we saw it (and I'm struggling to articulate this bit) 'around' the car if that makes sense? Essentially, where we were in position to the car in front (us still being on a slight bend) enabled us to see the road in front.

I hope that makes sense!

... We didn't see the figure through the windscreen of the car in front, we saw it (and I'm struggling to articulate this bit) 'around' the car if that makes sense? Essentially, where we were in position to the car in front (us still being on a slight bend) enabled us to see the road in front. ...

Thanks for the clarifications!

Did you ever see the phantom figure fully (from head to feet), or did you see only a portion of the figure?
(Please be as specific as your recollection allows, and please note any variations such as seeing a full figure versus a partial figure at different times / points).

What were the weather conditions that evening?

Thanks for the clarifications!

Did you ever see the phantom figure fully (from head to feet), or did you see only a portion of the figure?
(Please be as specific as your recollection allows, and please note any variations such as seeing a full figure versus a partial figure at different times / points).

What were the weather conditions that evening?

No problem!

We both recounted seeing the same thing - a human (I would say, definitely male) shaped figure in full.

It had been a wet day and was raining (although not particularly heavily) as we drove down the road.

It does sound as if what you saw was a projected halo of a more distant object.
It could have been that oncoming vehicles had light reflect from something, like the side of a truck, that momentarily caught an object and produced a halo.

Having ridden motorbikes for 30+ years, I have seen a number of similarly disturbing phantom effects. The combination of lights that do not turn or adapt as the bike dips under braking and leans into a corner, with curved visors and oncoming lights, hasoften produced very confusing signals that you just have to ride through - like Harry Potter on Platform 9 3/4!

Certainly nothing that either of us noticed!

I use that road at least once a week, I'd say, and have driven along it in all sorts of weather conditions and at various times of day. Have never witnessed anything similar before or since (although I now half expect to see someone sitting in the backseat when driving down there after dark!)

On a tangential note, recounting this story to my grandma a few days later got her to reveal her own bit of road weirdness which, again, was shared with someone else.

Long before I was born, she and her sister were out for a Sunday drive with their respective husbands (my grandad and great uncle). The two men were up front with the two sisters in the back, driving down a rural lane (although I don't know where exactly, unfortunately).

As they were approaching a farm lane that served as an offshoot to the main road, both sisters saw a man on a motorbike approaching them at speed. Calling out and bracing for impact, they were completely dumbfounded when nothing happened - the motorcyclist had seemingly disappeared. Weirdly, the two men in the front hadn't seen or heard a thing, and would have a better view of the farm track.

We're not really a family given to talking about stuff like this, and sadly my grandma is no longer with us, but I loved that little bit of weirdness she shared. Would love to find the lane!
I love hearing about these incidents, where on the face of it there's no simple and obvious explanation:).

With regard to your grandma's experience one hopes that the explanation was not the fact that the motorcyclist swerved off the road into trees to avoid a collision with the car, never to be discovered!

I love hearing about these incidents, where on the face of it there's no simple and obvious explanation:).

With regard to your grandma's experience one hopes that the explanation was not the fact that the motorcyclist swerved off the road into trees to avoid a collision with the car, never to be discovered!

Yes, I’d love to know what happened to the bike, too!

So, drive down there we did in a line of about three or four other cars (I'd say we were the second car back from the front). What's remarkable about this particular stretch of road is that there's no footpaths, no streetlights and very dense, very high hedges on either side. My mum and I were conversing about nothing in particular as we rounded a bend when the headlights of the car in front picked out a shape in the lane - definitely 'man shaped', but with a kind of shimmering haze around it (I'd later describe it as looking 'solid but not filled in', if that makes any sense at all).

I was going to mention the phantom cyclist of Weddington!

Have a look at Haunted Warwickshire on Facebook. The site owner has published a couple of ghost books of nuneaton.

I was going to mention the phantom cyclist of Weddington!

Have a look at Haunted Warwickshire on Facebook. The site owner has published a couple of ghost books of nuneaton.

Thanks, will give it a check! I'd love to learn a little more about the Fortean history of Nuneaton.

And yes, the Phantom Floating Cyclist seems to have done the rounds, doesn't he?!

Back