• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stranger Things

I now have Netflix! I tried episode 1 of Stranger Things! It was sort of OK! But I saw this stuff first time around, I hope it's more than simple pastiche or it's going to get old pretty quickly.

I used to have Netflix, but unsubscribed after finding they didn't have films I wanted to see and didn't have many new (or newish) films. Oh yeah, and they put up the price.

7 eps in now and yes, it is coming to life. Sticking with it even though
the ep with El on her own was teen audience fodder with obligatory dumb machine gun bulletfests harming no-one at all.

Good prediction, whomever foresaw Bob's demise. Good riddance too. He was so annoyingly perfect.

I'm finding it's Amazon for the films, Netflix for the TV.
Yep, that seems to be the case.
It's a pity that (so far) Amazon doesn't seem to use the same casting technology as Youtube and Netflix to allow users to stream films to their TV. Or am I out of date with that?

Yep, that seems to be the case.
It's a pity that (so far) Amazon doesn't seem to use the same casting technology as Youtube and Netflix to allow users to stream films to their TV. Or am I out of date with that?

I stream films (and TV eps) from Amazon on my TV, have done for a couple of years now. Get a password from the site, type it into the TV app and away you go. Either that or get one of them special sticks.

I stream films (and TV eps) from Amazon on my TV, have done for a couple of years now. Get a password from the site, type it into the TV app and away you go. Either that or get one of them special sticks.
Yep, I just tried that earlier after I posted.
I've set up the link - I'll try a film or something soon.

If involvement in drug abuse ever becomes an irrevocable disqualifier for a telly career, I think that most of the UK's TV output will resemble:
Well, being caught with drugs is usually a disqualifier for entry into the US

Nigella Lawson as a self confessed user of drugs was barred from entry to the US IIRC.

Back on topic, I greatly enjoyed the finale. Great episode to end on. I'm now going back through season 1 again and it is even better on re-view.

I'm getting near the end of Stranger Things 2 and have greatly enjoyed it, but episode 7 is a major stumbling block. El's new street punk friends are so So. Fucking. Lame.

I'm getting near the end of Stranger Things 2 and have greatly enjoyed it, but episode 7 is a major stumbling block. El's new street punk friends are so So. Fucking. Lame.
You seem to be echoing the general opinion here. That is virtually a wasted episode, and seems not to serve any narrative purpose. Perhaps an attempt to explore the show's eighties style in a different environment, but it feels as though it comes from another, less worthwhile show.

I'd didn't hate it, but I lamented the loss of focus.

It could have had a very useful narrative role if the other psychic girl was basically Darth Vader (if you'll pardon the lazy shorthand): a glimpse of what Eleven could become if she doesn't control the anger that is bubbling up with puberty and Hopper, her surrogate father; it could have been interesting, but in the end it was just dicking around. The other girl (non-memorable name forgotten) was not really bad enough to prove a warning because the writers were at pains to justify her thirst for vengeance by laying out the abuse she had suffered.

As for the problem of making her black and Eleven white...

:bmonk:

Nah...

The other criticism of Stranger Things 2 which I think is valid is that it doesn't expand our knowledge of the Upside-down, or add very much new at all really. The first season presented this cool parallel world which we learned about as the series went on. We haven't really discovered anything very new in the second season

The other criticism of Stranger Things 2 which I think is valid is that it doesn't expand our knowledge of the Upside-down, or add very much new at all really. The first season presented this cool parallel world which we learned about as the series went on. We haven't really discovered anything very new in the second season

Agreed, but I think that this could be fine if the third series does do that. The first series was better because it was tighter and more focused, but I enjoyed pretty much all of the new characters that were introduced and enjoyed having more of Hawkins sketched out. They won't get away with an equally or more meandering adventure next.

Last edited:
Watching this second series has inspired me to get copies of some of the John Carpenter recordings; hell, he should have been paid royalties!

I'd didn't hate it, but I lamented the loss of focus.

It could have had a very useful narrative role if the other psychic girl was basically Darth Vader (if you'll pardon the lazy shorthand): a glimpse of what Eleven could become if she doesn't control the anger that is bubbling up with puberty and Hopper, her surrogate father; it could have been interesting, but in the end it was just dicking around. The other girl (non-memorable name forgotten) was not really bad enough to prove a warning because the writers were at pains to justify her thirst for vengeance by laying out the abuse she had suffered.

As for the problem of making her black and Eleven white...

:bmonk:

Nah...
El's sister might still play that role in season 3. I hope she does return to justify her otherwise pointless presence in this season.

As always with these hit series on streaming channels, they get one series commissioned based on a great story. They make one and it is great because there is a story - a beginning, a middle and an end. Series 1 ended in a classic horror movie ending. We knew a sequel was possible but not necessary.

Then the shit hits the fan when everyone likes it. The channel commission two more and writers suddenly now have to pump out 20 more episodes when they said everything they wanted to say in the first 10.

(See Lie to Me, Penny Dreadful, Designated Survivor etc)

So now they've got episodes to waste/fill. Hence, the Duffer Brothers saying that they wanted to explore a clichéd urban 80's feel in one episode (the episode we all hated). They couldn't have done that in the original series when each minute of screen time was precious.

I say it again, I would have preferred to have met a new set of characters. Eleven and Hooper could have been the constant, all set in Hawkins, but with other Strange Things happening.

Fans know what they want.

Stranger Things Crossover Slash Fiction?

wbduoqehxh101.png

Mural in Times Square:

eovdmiskbl701.jpg

Reminds me of the style of artwork they have on arcade cabinets and pinball machines.

Last edited:
Reminds me, I should really try and finish ST, I got five episodes in and sort of forgot about it.

Finally got around to finishing ST (so far) and it took me ages because I thought it was just OK, and also I kept nodding off halfway through the episodes because they weren't grabbing me. But I did manage to stay awake for the final S2 ep, and the dance was the best bit, less so all the running around, all that something's happening but we're not getting anywhere business. It's not going to replace any 80s originals in my affections. Besides, Max was the best character and El is kind of unpleasant.

Duffer Brothers accused of abusive behaviour on the ST set:
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/net...rs-respond-to-allegation-of-abuse-1202723414/

They deny it, and Netflix say they have investigated and found nothing untoward. This is the same Netflix that backed the abusive showrunner of their Fuller House sitcom and the accused rapist Danny Masterson on his show, though. Who knows?! It's getting so you can't enjoy anything anymore!

Duffer Brothers accused of abusive behaviour on the ST set:
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/net...rs-respond-to-allegation-of-abuse-1202723414/

They deny it, and Netflix say they have investigated and found nothing untoward. This is the same Netflix that backed the abusive showrunner of their Fuller House sitcom and the accused rapist Danny Masterson on his show, though. Who knows?! It's getting so you can't enjoy anything anymore!

Important to note that it's an allegation of verbal abuse.

Gasp!
All titularity aside, verbal can be as, if not more, destructive than physical abuse.

Titularity back on again, directors and producers putting undue pressure onto their cast. Who knew it would ever come to this?

Back