• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Street Light Interference

DJSpirit mentioned his /her electrical powers and said it may only be static...
One should never discount the potency of static electricity.

I used to work in a library which was built in a large tin roofed building cramming in miles of metal shelving, dozens of computers, printers, photocopiers etc. Add to this mix, nylon carpets, rubber soled shoes and a healthy dose of sexual tension especially at the height of summer and we all (me in particular) would give each other hefty electric shocks if we touched each other and could receive quite a jolt from the equipment.
(I even mentioned this to the site Health and Safety officer as a potential hazard. No joy of course.)

Many years ago, at secondary school there was a lad (let's call him Simon ford, for that was his name) who had even greater 'powers'.
Whenever we used to play basketball in the school gym, Simon would build up a charge so powerful that his own hair would stand on end and anyone touching him would get a shock so powerful that it really, really, really hurt!
This was partly due to us wearing revesible (double sided) nylon rugby shirts and rubbber plimsolls and bouncing large rubber balls. But, of course, Simon's own body chemistry must have had a lot to do with his own particular potency...

>And, finally, has anybody had the experience of a lamp lighting up in daylight as they pass??????

Yes, it's remarkable and quite unnerving as it always happens at the same time of day.

I'm amazed that these lamps always seem to come on when I walk past and it's always around about sunset time.

Spooky.

CHARLEY

Hi, my name is Jerry. This phenomenon has been happening to me for a long time. At least since my teens. When I used to take long walks at night it would happen. Driving with my friends, they would always tell me my headlights must be adjusted too high on my car because all the lights that would go out... the only thing is, it happened when we were in their cars too. Here it is years later (I'm 37 now) and it still happens. My son always jokes with me about it when we drive... "You broke another one Dad."

Jerry
[email protected]

As well as the street lights going out I was in a trade school for 2 years and the regular bulb type would regularly brighten for an instant and make a popping sound,just before going out. The glass would not break ,just a loud pop.
These were our workbench lights which were close to us and on pivoting arms so the light could be directed onto our work .
Mine had a magnifying glass as well. the other students were quite familiar with my predicament and many of them saw the street lights go as we would often hang out together after school.
I would have to replace the bench lights once or twice a month,
whereas some students never needed another bulb at all.
It became a joke to warn me away from thier lamps because if I stayed to long at a given bench to often thier light bulb would brighten ,sound the "pop" and go out as well.
I was under a fair amount of stress while attending the school,as I worked as a security guard at night and then went to school during the day. And this has always happend during times of stress .

Well the streetlights never actually break. The lightbulbs don't blow out. They go out...then after I'm gone they'll come back on. It doesn't seem to be related to stress however. Unless I'm stresed all the time.

Ghost Dog :

When walking your dog, did it have a favourite lamppost to relieve itself?

Could this have caused any sort if interference.

Watches and electricity

I had a similar problem with lights, watches, and indeed anything electrical for about 5 years after I touched an electrical stock fence and got 'zapped' by it.

I sent watches ticking backwards, could turn radios on just by walking into the room, blew computers as soon as I touched the keyboards, etc.

It seemed to drain itself off after I reached my 20's, but occasionally when I'm upset or highly emotional about something I can still do it. A good party trick is to charge up, so to speak, and command the tv to turn on from across the room.

Fliss

Hmmm, was walking in town centre last tuesday with mate Jay, who has also had the light thing happen to him a lot, and another friend whose light-effect staus is unknown.

We were in a semi-pedestrianised area near the market and crossed in front of a statue and a couple of benches when it suddenly went dark.
Not lamp-posts but the kind of floor-mounted or wall-mounted floodlights which illuminate such areas.
The effect was startling as we were plunged into darkness- it was unclear whether or not one or more lights had gone out.

Anyway, we bickered over whose effect this was- I thought it was me, Jay thought it was him...

Rob

Streetlights no, traffic lights yes.
At about age 25, walking up the Edgeware Rd. from Marble Arch to Willesden Lane (i was young, in lurve and it was a gorgeous early morning) About 3 sets of light up I was aware that I had not had to break pace once when crossing the the junctions.
Thinking logically that the lights about the same distance apart so I was just timing things I varied my pace. No effect no break of pace at the next 2 sets. It became a game, I tried to break the sequence deliberately. It didn't work. at Little Venice I stopped, Admired the canal and the narrow boats for some minutes before starting off again, No effect - no break of pace - the lights would be set red in both directions just when I stepped off the pavement. At the time there were some 15 sets of lights on that route I didn't miss 1.

By the way I too have been unable to were wrist watches mechanical or quartz. On one occaision I was given a quartz watch for my birthday. It functioned erratically, so it was serviced, cleaned and given a new battery. and a week later when emotionally strained it gained by 2 yrs 8 months, 12 days, 14 hrs and 10 minutes

Make them flicker

I remember as a kid (I think I was about 7) me and my little sister (2 years my junior) used to have an effect on the street lights in our road if we stood a certain distance from them, I think it was about 15 feet. If we stood closer nothing happened but at 15 feet the light would flicker like a striplight being switched on.

None of our friends could cause this (Control Group) :D

May I also point out that my sister has to buy a new hair dryer every few months due to the fact that they keep breaking when she uses them (Argos really hate her as she takes them back on guarantee) and I have to wear an analogue watch, if I wear a digital it will die after about a month.

Odd thing is I never kill hair dryers and my sis can wear a digital watch without any malfunctions. :confused:

Such is life (whatever that is)

Oops almost forgot: If I am on the phone (or even near a phone) and wearing flat bottom shoes and there is a carpeted floor I can cause interfearence on the phone line by scuffing my feet on the carpet. I have done this quite a few times to entertain my colleagues during conference calls.

street lights and school clocks

When I were a young lad I used to run down the street kicking the panels on the front of the street lights and would knock em out... I used to really enjoy that, plunge the street into darkness.

Also bored in maths class we used to all stare at the wall clock untill we stopped it. By all Im talking about 10 of us who concentrated real hard "willed" it to stop/. Looking back I gues we should really have been trying to move it forward.

And I though only I could affect streetlights!!! - when I was a student in Middlesbrough it was one light on Linthorpe Road, just beyond the end of Albert Park - after the first couple of times you say it's just a coincidence, but when it happens every time, it gets rather unnerving, to say the least. I remember crossing the road to avoid it once, then walking past it on my return - blink, straight out. I also used to watch others go past it to no effect, only to get within 5 feet of it and off it would go.

Later, in Brisol, there was a particular light outside my friend's house at the junction of Oakfield Road and Whiteladies road where there are five or six older lamps in a Victorian style (Oakfield Place?). The one outside his flat (no 52?) seemed particularly susceptible to my "charms" - on one occasion I waited across the road from it after a night out, and sent three mates to walk to it one-by-one. I told them when I arrived, last, it would go out. Which it did, bringing a thoughtful pause to my previously disbelieving (and mirthful) colleagues.

That was all 6 or 7 years ago, and I haven't broken one since!

I was wondering if all the incidents are related, because altho I already posted the street light experiences, and those related to ultra sensetive equipment, reading through, I have remembered other interference I have had with electrical equipment, such as I have turned my housemates stereo on from the hallway, no-one had been in the house for the weekend, I was the only one home on the Sunday night, i was hanging up my washing on the rack outside my room adjacent to hers when her stereo came on playing a CD, It made me jump, I was jumpy anyway as it was not long after we had been burgled. and I was alon ein the house, which could have been the causing factor I guess. The Stereo has no alarm function, so it wasn't a case of a miss set alarm, and the CD was not one with a bonus track, and the track played was the first one, this combined with a similar experience with My Mums CD player, has led me to think it is all related and probably with similar causes, altho what these are, who can tell.:blah:

I have never noticed anything about street lights in particular, although I do have a tendency to blow out lights. Definitely dependent on my emotions. I will know at times when I shouldn't touch one because I will blow it. For instance, at work I have a panel with 3 flourescent lights above my desk that usually need to be replaced once a month. (Think my job is high stress?) I have worked in several offices and this phenomenom has never changed. Good thing they don't deduct it from my salary! Also at home I tend to blow them out. I have switched to all flourescents after living in many different houses and having the same problem at each one. The regular lights last less than a month while the flourescents last about 3-5. I am known to change traffic lights however, but I say a little "saying" and blow on them to turn them green. It really works - although sometimes better than others. As crazy as this sounds I am glad I am not the only one. Thanks!

ricky_2002 said:
i dont believe a word that comes out your face! LIAR!!
But at least he is an amusing liar, whereas you, ricky, are a waste of space. You quote *all* his post, and then reply with one line which is abusive.

We have a saying here 'Don't feed the trolls', but as you are a newer member to this board I'm breaking that rule to explain to you the more important ones that most of us try to follow. Be polite, don't waste space.

(I must have got out the wrong side of bed this morning...!)

Many years ago, a young lady who worked for me had to be moved from her position in the computer room (large mainframe) because everytime she entered the room, one or more of the tape drives stopped working and had to be replaced. She never had an adverse effect on any other electronic equipment (to my knowledge), but the toll on tape drives was astronomical!

For all the joking this appears to be a serious phenomenon that might repay investigation. I talked to one person today who doesn't like fluorescent lights, they blow more readily than incandescent bulbs.

Is there anyone there? Knock once for yes ...

There is that telekinesis experiment with a random number generator. Perhaps this is a way to affect that one. I feel that it is a stupid idea to use electronic equipment to test telekinesis. I think it would work much better if they have something real to focus on. If it's dice you just have to push it, with a number generator you have to do things to circuits you have no idea how works.

Intresting thread. Was living with my exgirlfriend in Liverpool last year in what could reasonably be termed a stormy relationship, and the lightbulbs kept breaking, particularly when we were fighting (although as we were ALWAYS fighting it is difficult to know if this is important). We went thru 5 bulbs in the living room, 7 in our bedroom and tons in the hall in a period of 4 months, and that excludes the ones she threw at me. I had lived there for a year before she moved in and had only had to change the bulb once. After 3 months of her living with me this was still true but the bulbs seemed to go daft as when we started to argue more. Now im living in Spain but it seems her powers to cause destruction in electrical devices (and coincidentally, my life, but we wont go into that here) are unabated. She called me on my moby the other day and the bulb not only went out but fell out of its socket and shattered on the floor.

The more I see abouth this the more it seems to be like poltergeist activity. Could there be some linkage to sexual tension? Are the aparently preternatural abilities of the pubescent with computer games something to do with it? Am i being an idiot?:p

intaglio asked if street light interference could be linked to sexual tension and I think s/he may have a point (too complicated to explain!)
Anyway, I will keep a diary from now on and next time it happens to me, see if I was feeling particularly sexually tense at the time...

So if a bulb goes pop, that probably means a horny person is nearby? Oh my.

Lions and tigers and bears - oh, my! (and no I'm not a friend of Dorothy's)
But wouldn't it make life interesting, Or perhaps it has. The baby boom after the great New York blackout might not have been an effect but a cause!

Now that is creative Fortean thinking! More please!

Cars and electricity

Fliss said:
I had a similar problem with lights, watches, and indeed anything electrical for about 5 years after I touched an electrical stock fence and got 'zapped' by it.

(Content deleted for brevity.)

Fliss

I build up a charge driving my auto; when I shut it down and exit I get shocked the moment I touch metal and the ground. My wife and I share driving duties, but only I gain the charge, no matter where in the car I sit. She doesn't build up a charge when she drives alone either, but I do, so it's not the car.

Off on a bit of a tangent:

My television (Phillips 19") seems to be receiving instructions from a person or persons unknown. At random times the on-screen display shows the volume increasing or decreasing. Channels change without my input. Twice the entire system (TV, DVD, satellite) shut down by itself.

The system uses an infrared remote, so I blocked the windows in the room. Makes no difference.

I've not noticed any correlation between this behavior and my moods (or any correlation at all). Any thoughts?

Any military bases within 20 miles? Do you use energy saver bulbs? Are you near the end of the electricity supply network?

If the military base have a word with a local science teacher and see if he has a device for measuring background radio emissions. Has your video been playing up as well? If so I was reliably informed that the military have devices that interfere with Timer chips in TV & video they also muck the control circuitry. Such devices were supposed to be responsible for a number of early detonated IRA bombs - own goals, he called them

If fluorescent lights, check by replacing the bulbs in a cycle, when near the end of their life they can produce all sorts of emissions.

You'll know about the last.

We had exactly the same problem with the telly and we thought the same was happening. In the end it was a problems with the little touch-pad type volume controls on the front of the telly. We just took out the electronic part of them and cut it off and that seemed to do the trick.

(standard disclaimer about I didn't tell you to do that if you blow yourself up etc etc)

I have had strange problems during electrical storms, sometimes I feel as if I am having some kind of fit and also experience REM eye movements. As soon as the rain starts falling all symptoms disapear and I can actually feel the change coming over me. One time I opened the window once the rain started because I was particularly bad and felt as if I was being pushed by a force. I assume all this is electrical. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Back