• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Street Light Interference

weird

You want to hear something weird?

As i was reading this thread, I (now i feel lame) put my fingers on the screen and 'willed' an increase in my EM field... ive been able to do a few strange things in the past, and reading about this i just thought i'd try. Needless to say nothing happened. I kept reading down, just to where someone said "i used to stroke my computer to get it to work" and suddenly, my whole machine crashed with a bluescreen error!

Now, although that might seem "oh windows crashes all the time" I am working from a server machine which almost NEVER crashes. Its built ford tough as they say, and even if i had not been reading the forum, i wouldve regarded the crash as weird. After that putting my fingers on the screen ritual, i'd say its downright weird. Anyway, who knows...

telekinesis and all

I was reminded of my childhood, when my brother and I would load up some games on the commodore 64. Now, those that had them surely remember the dodgy,although good looking, tape drives. Loading a game would take a good 20 minutes or so, and sometimes not work. We figured that the only way to really be sure of it to work would be to go out of the room. We arranged it so that we could see the monitor from the keyhole.

Even now I am constantly troubled by unexpected errors, many beyond explanation. Seems they occur when I have guests or clients or when a deadline is close..

Anyway, have to write about the triangle i saw on new years day in the other thread, take care

Klinks

Recently I was in my Kitchen In New York and out side my window I can see 4 of seven lamp post out side.
I was in the kitchen at 12:30 PM or so looking for something to nibble on and found a slice of cheese and some bacon bits.
As I was munching away not thinking of anything in particular I looked out at one of the lamps and for a split second I zoned out
like when you stare at something and go far away and come back well in that second the light that I was staring at went out.
I have also walks by a few and have had them go out. I don't know what it is but
I think there is something more to it than faulty wiring of overheating bulbs( by the way this happened in December 28, 2002 40 dg weather)

Also... (this also happens to me alot) I will work on my PC that hardly ever crashes. I even run multiple programs at a time and all is well but as soon as I show something that I have been doing on my pc to anybody (well I guess I get exited to show off what I have done new) my pc crashes. and it makes me look bad (':hmph:')
Hmph oh well...
I have also heard that this happen to other people. I did a search on the Internet for {street lamps go out pass by} and came across this web site. I didnt think this was as common as it turned out to be.
I just wanted to share and to see other peoples experiences.

Have you guys been reading too much Douglas Adams?

Hasn't anybody else read that book where the street lights go out every time the detective guy walks under them? And the strange eagle thing? And the Norse gods? Or mebbe that's just me.... :)

Bison X said:
Also... (this also happens to me alot) I will work on my PC that hardly ever crashes. I even run multiple programs at a time and all is well but as soon as I show something that I have been doing on my pc to anybody (well I guess I get exited to show off what I have done new) my pc crashes. and it makes me look bad (':hmph:')
Hmph oh well...
Man that happens all the time to me.... with everything...everyhting always works fine until u want to show someone lol... :confused:

SEPOX

You know.. I honestly thought this was something that happened to everyone, but now, it seems apparent that this is not the case.

The reason I saw that, is I knock out probably one out of every 10 streetlights I go under, as does my cousin, brother, and father.

Althought I have always thought it a little odd, I have simply marked it off as coincidence... But things can only remain conincidental for so many occurances..

streetlight

I live on a college campus in Oklahoma...In apt.s for married folk. It's true that the school doesn't have the best living conditions, but there has to be something going on with a specific street light in the parking lot. Every time it turn into the apt. lot, it goes dim, or plays out. It's getting very annoying. It also does it when I just step out the door. I know it stays on if I'm off the lot, because I have observed it from my window. What gives?

I first noticed the SLIder factor happening when I was in my 20's. I used to cruise around with two of my girlfriends and we noticed that streetlights would go out when we drove under them. We thought it was something we caused by just being together. Well one of them moved away and the other friend and I had a falling out so no more cruising together. I noticed it still kept happening to me. I also have trouble wearing a watch. They never work correctly for me. They always gain time. My husband has quit giving them to me as gifts because the battery replacement just got to be too much. The television remote goes crazy at times. Channels flipping all over the place and I can't count the number of times I have switched on a light and the bulb blows out. My husband, kids and friends have commented on this by asking me how come that always happens to you? I had no idea that other's experienced this until about 2 or 3 years ago I ran across a post called Are you a SLIder? The SLI stood for Street Light Interference. So now I know it's not just me, but I still don't know why it happens. I try to ground myself before I touch people because I usually end up shocking them.

Lights out!

After searching "Street lights turn off and on" and all permutations and combinations of such on the web, I am pleased to find this forum and find that I am not by myself.
For at least 20 years this happens to me all the time. It doesn't matter where. I have noticed that it will happen most when I am emotional, regardless of whether it's positive or negative. An interesting example:
When I first met my wife some 11 years ago, it was active to the point of distraction. We were driving once out to supper when I thought I would mention this phenomenon to her for the first time. Almost immediately, the street light in front of our moving car went out, and stayed that way in the rear view mirror until we lost sight of it. Great trick, right? After some 3 hours we drove the same route home and saw the darkened bulb approaching us in the distance. About 100 meters from the light it re-illuminated
It's now routine. My auto parkade is the best. Some days I can have 3 lights in a row blink off as I slowly drive by. At least one will click off daily. Could be job stress!
Somebody should really take the time to check this out scientifically.
- James

Me too....

I too, have turned off many street lights in my time. One particularly weird incident occured to me as I was working up north with a friend of mine at a screenprinting place. Our boss had insisted that we stay a little longer to finish taking pictures for a catalog he was putting together. My friend and I had made it clear that we had to be out by a certain time. It is important to note that for the pix for the catalog we had to hook up a spotlight to a car battery inside his shop. This was in NO WAY connected to the wiring for the shop itself. Needless to say we were very late already and at one point IN MY MIND I yelled out "F**k!"
At the same exact time the power to the shop went out, but the spotlight, connected only to the car battery, went out too. Immediately afterward we were allowed to leave and my friend had not noticed the incongruety of both the spotlight AND the shop lights/electricity going out. He had assumed the we had blown a fuse and was just thankful to be on his way. Once I pointed this out to him, he remembered that I also turn off streetlights. He instantly knew what had happened and looked at me differently after that. Not in a bad way, just different. That is one of the strangest things that has happened to me. Any thoughts?

Me too...again...

In another incident, I was with my boss, driving late at night and she mention another aspect of how the company was screwing over its employees (us, and many of us had complaints about it's treatment of long-term employees). As soon as she mentioned this I (in my head) let loose a long string of obscenities. As soon as this happened, approximately half (the half that we had already passed stayed lit) of a power substation we were passing that was directly adjacent to my seat went dark. I still cannot explain this except that I have been known to turn off streetlights as well. I have never had a problem with pc's, floppy disks, or other electrical appliances. I do not understand how this can apply in some circumstances, but not in others as I have been considerably more stressed out since then, with no effects. Any ideas about this phenomenon being selective will help.

Re: Have you guys been reading too much Douglas Adams?

Cammelia said:
Hasn't anybody else read that book where the street lights go out every time the detective guy walks under them? And the strange eagle thing? And the Norse gods? Or mebbe that's just me.... :)

It is a Douglas Adams book, one of the Dirk Gently ones, but not sure which (was mentioned earlier in this thread).

I have street lamps go off when I pass them, and it does seem to be specific lights that it occurs to_One I used to cycle past always went out, and when I moved to a new house I used to visit it to see if it was still (not) working...usually worked when I had things on my mind, either happy or angry/sad. On a slight twist to the phenomenon, there is a very tall lamp at the Parrswood cinema complex (South Manchester), just outside the actual cinema entrance that seems to go off for about half the people that pass. I have to assume it isn't a slow flickering type effect, as it is specifically when people get to a certain area near it.

lamp slapping

Talking of street light interference....
When I was a young man of 15 or so and holidaying in Cala San Vicente in Majorca, my cousin and I discovered that if you slap the lamps of that resort hard enough they go out. We spent the entire evening plunging the bay into darkness.
I realise now, of course, that it was neither big nor clever.

Keep on rockin' in the relatively free world.

When I walked into a classroom at my uni today the blinds were drawn as if the projector was on and it was dark.
I thought, hmm, it's dark, should I open the blinds or switch the lights on?
-and the lights all came on by themselves!

I was standing alone beside the switches, which are big old heavy things, and nobody could have sneaked them on.

Maaaaaaaaaad.

When I told the next person to arrive,a minute or so later, she told me that she'd heard knocking all night from INSIDE her room in Halls and was now terrified and wants another room.

Also maaaaaaaaaaaaad.

This happens to me all the time, when I happen to be thinking about something hard, the next thing you know a light goes out when I am walking down the street...but I also have a twist, sometimes I am able to turn the light back on after it has gone out; and I've done this many times to know that it has not been a fluke.

Yep, I've had this too, though not since I was a teenager.

One night I remember in particular, it was about 11pm and my motorcycle had broken down in the town centre and it was a good two-mile walk home from there. I was really angry. As I walked away from the town centre towards the suburbs that my home lay in, I suddenly became aware that the street light I was just passing had just blinked out. The next five did the same thing, until I reached the end of that particularly bit of road at a roundabout.

I looked back, and the street lights were still off, but as I looked, they all simultaneously came back on again.

Didn't get the damned bike working again until the morning though..

Electric people documentary

Hi,

I am working on a documentary for Discovery Channel about electric people and am looking for SLIders or other "electric people" to participate.

I am looking for one American and one British person to be featured in the film. Part of the documentary will involve testing the person's capabilities in a research lab, and also filming some of the effects that they experience. The filming will take place in mid-January.

Please contact me if you would like more information, or if you would like to participate. It should be a fun and interesting experience!

Sandrine

Street Lamps

I'm in college and whenever I will be walking to or away from my dorm some of the street lights I pass will either turn on or off when I walk past. At first I was thinking it could be some kind of weird telekenetic thing because it would happen while I was in a particularly bad mood, but it seems to happen at any random time it feels like it. There is one street lamp that ALWAYS turns on/off as I walk past. I do not know if this happens to everyone or just me. I am guessing that it is just some sort of stupid electrical thing, but I have heard weird stories about street lamps like this before and I was wondering what people thought. Any ideas?

Sounds like it's time to do some serious research if you want to get to the bottom of this strange phenomena.

Why not keep a notebook handy and jot down the locations (along with ID Nos if available) of the affected street lamps, and the times at which the effect occurs? You may see a pattern emerging. You might also observe whether the effect occurs when others pass by the same lamps.

This happened to my girlfriend and me in Cyprus last year. Only time it ever happened, before or since

We are going back to Cyprus next week (although a different part) so will see if it happens again!

how to make a great entrance at a party

something similar happened to a friend of mine, Peter, back in 1997. It was total coincidence, but exquisitely timed!
He and I were teachers in Istanbul. During the winter, power cuts are a frequent occurrence. Usually they last no more than half an hour or so. One February night, he was staggering through the blacked-out streets towards a party. As he walked down the road, the lights came on behind him! He got to the apartment and announced, 'I bring light!', and lo and behold the 'leccy came on in the flat.
He got a round of applause and lots of booze for that.

This has happened to me! I used to live in a smaller city, in the suburbs, and there was a street that had three streetlights on it that would blink off when you walked under them. They would stay off sometimes until you were maybe a hundred yards downt he street, and sometimes they would stay off.

At the time me and my cousin thought it was very odd, and would comment on it every time, wondering what caused it. My cousin joked that we were cursed. I figured it had something to do with pressure on the street, but cars didn't seem to make the lights go off, and they were much much heavier than me.

-Fitz

Maybe...it's motion triggered? :confused: I doubt it...but it's a suggestion. ^^;;;;

Maybe, I don't see why they would want them to go off at night though. Especially with all of the sexual assaults they claim to have there(although I am always walking around at night and have never had any problems).

Its really common where I live and effects about 3 streetlamps on the way to my work. they all turn off when you get to within 10-15meters of the lamps, I can't recall any turning on. I've also experienced it in other towns, cities and countries. It is'nt just me though, when walking I've seen cars trigger them off ahead of me. They can vary as well. Only one of the lights consistantly goes off. My wife has also witnessed this light when we were staggering back from the pub one night.

I think its either plain ol' dodgy wiring or some really crap way for the power companies to save a little money with a motion sensor type thing. Sounds paradoxical for a power company to produce a gadget that turns the light off when someone comes near but if money is involved it would'nt suprise me at all. I think something mundane is likely to prove real rather than me possessing any telekinetic ability. I mean you get a couple of lamps in every town, village and city, (not to many to make the population suspcious), make them go off for anything up to a couple of minutes, you will have saved some money over a year.

One night I'll get the wife to come with me and do some experimentation as one light is guaranteed to go off, even if you are over the other side of the street. Anyone work for the companies that maintain these lights?

Jeez I've just invented a Power Company conspiracy theory-Will someone pass the Anti-psychotics please!?

there's one particular streetlight near me which definitely comes on when people walk past - not motion-triggered as it's the only one in the row, and also seems to be generally a bit dodgy.

i always put it down to crap wiring.

fluffle said:
there's one particular streetlight near me which definitely comes on when people walk past - not motion-triggered as it's the only one in the row, and also seems to be generally a bit dodgy.

i always put it down to crap wiring.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tubes working on charge differences? A person walking underneath one could have a charge built up in their bodies which induces the tube in the streetlight to fire up? Just a thought - any electrical engineers out there?:(

I have posted my experiences with this in the aforementiond thread, and I recently began experimenting with homade compasses, and found that I can directly influence the direction of the "needle" with my hands. I have no idea why,but it is quite pronounced,and I can turn the "needle" a full circle.
I tried it with oil dampend models bought from the store and the dampening effect is more than I can overcome for any pronounced effect , but one that is free of any dampening is affected quite impressively.
My family has several members who cannot wear mechanical watches without causing them to stop.
Perhaps there is a connection?

Back