Stripping Lessons

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Paris store offers stripping tips

One of France's best-loved department stores has outraged feminists by offering striptease lessons to female customers this weekend in Paris.

Galeries Lafayette has announced it is to offer lessons with professional strippers showing customers how to reveal all in the most alluring way.

A French feminist group has threatened to demonstrate outside the shop.

What used to be a rather staid department store now seems determined to cultivate a new, raunchier image.

First came singles nights in its gourmet food hall, the BBC's Caroline Wyatt reports, and now an initiative which French feminists claim is distinctly below the belt.

The shop is opening what it says is the world's largest lingerie department and, to celebrate, it plans to offer female customers striptease lessons this Saturday.

Women will be shown how to make the most of their new purchases by two professional striptease artists.

Their hints include wearing high heels and avoiding unsightly knee-high stockings, plus instructions on how not to get your skirt tangled up in those heels.

One feminist group says the idea is demeaning to women.

The shop's customers however, have mixed feelings.

Some say that, even here, in the world capital of seduction, a few lessons would not go amiss.

But others complain that a shop they could once happily browse in with their grandmother is fast moving towards the bottom end of the market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3249315.stm
====================

Its quite possible that I'm missing the point here, but what is wrong with stripping and why has it got French feminists angry? Surely the emphasis here is stripping for your partner as part of a healthy sex life - not to a paying general public.

I don't get it.

I'd imagine these lessons would be done in a party atmosphere and the women would have a good time a la Ann Summers - what's the matter with that?

:confused:

ArthurASCII

Justified & Ancient
I heard about this story on the radio this morning.

Quite a non-event really I suppose. Except for one thing.

A Feminist group are saying that "stripping is demeaning to women".

What an outrageous blanket statement. The organisation concerned has zero credibility in my eyes now.

A

Anonymous

People really should lighten up. Feminism has made many valuable contributions but sometimes it just makes itself look stupid.

If a woman wants to do it to please her partner good luck to her! What exactly is wrong with trying to be sexy?

A

Anonymous

Lillith said:
People really should lighten up. Feminism has made many valuable contributions but sometimes it just makes itself look stupid.

If a woman wants to do it to please her partner good luck to her! What exactly is wrong with trying to be sexy?
Unfortunatly to meny feminists are stuck in the 1970s (if you doubt this then see my recent experences on the winge thread.)

Once radicalism was nesesory to help deconstruct ideas of gender but noone is now willing to ask if the same truths still hold. Noone wants to reasess the function of feminism in the new centery.

If any buisness or orginisation refused to reevaluate it's structures for 30 years they would be a laughing stock.

What's wrong with being sexy? F*** all, it can be a feminist statment on it's own.

humourless, just humourless :(

A

Anonymous

On the count of three, lasses, lift your burquahs one inch, that'll inflame them... :eek!!!!:

A

Anonymous

i can imagine the marketing department...ok we booked the strippers now phone feminists and the news papers get some publicity

A

Anonymous

sidecar_jon said:
i can imagine the marketing department...ok we booked the strippers now phone feminists and the news papers get some publicity
:rofl:

oh yes...TWO!

A

Anonymous

Three!

*Molga Parrot lifts burquah to reveal one inch of pale and stubbly ankle. Assorted male posters offer her large sums of money to proceed no further*

A

Anonymous

molga parrot said:
Three!

*Molga Parrot lifts burquah to reveal one inch of pale and stubbly ankle. Assorted male posters offer her large sums of money to proceed no further*
*TVQ runs in, stumbles, regains her composer and preseds to lift her burquah to reveal...a pair of black and white strippy 'goth' tights and an old pair of patent leather flat souled shoes*

Well, it's cold today.

stonedog3

Abominable Snowman
Stonedoggy reveals....

a non pair of sports socks - they're clean on, don't knock it! - and some scarlet fleece Lands End slippers which go by the name of Bootees!

yeee-ha!

go girls go!

Kath

Anome

Bibliomancer
Apparrently, according to the editor of some girly (as opposed to girlie) magazine in Australia, stripping and pole dancing lessons are taking over from belly dance lessons as the hip apres-dinner activity.

There was some fashion launch held in a Sydney strip club, using the girls as models, and they held stripping lessons for the ladies afterwards. Some of them were quite shocked to find out that they actually had to remove clothing for what they thought would just be a fun activity.

I'm not sure, but I think there were separate classes for the men, but I expect they didn't go quite the same way as the one for the ladies.

A

Anonymous

You mean belly dancing is out of vogue!!! I'm always one step behind the times :( (although my best friend has mentioned us doing a pole dancing course, should come in very handy...i don't think :).)

I agree with VQ that being sexy can be a feminist statement on it's own. If women were taught to see their sexuality more as something they can control and enjoy and less as a means whereby 'nasty men' can control them maybe we would all be a little more well-adjusted. Men know that we can rule them, in fact most of them would rather enjoy it if we did I think ;)

Anome

Bibliomancer
Belly dancing is never out of vogue.

Although if you want to show off anything you pick up from a pole-dancing course (if you actually do it) at UnCon, I'm sure we'd all show our appreciation.

A

Anonymous

anome said:
There was some fashion launch held in a Sydney strip club, using the girls as models, and they held stripping lessons for the ladies afterwards. Some of them were quite shocked to find out that they actually had to remove clothing for what they thought would just be a fun activity.
Here it's the (spelling apoligy before I begin) Burle...oh bugger I can't spell it (damn dyslexia!) :(

But anyway glamed up strip shows for girls (with women striping), 'erotic' acts and nipple tassles are all the rage in London.

Anome

Bibliomancer
The Virgin Queen said:
Here it's the (spelling apoligy before I begin) Burle...oh bugger I can't spell it (damn dyslexia!) :(

But anyway glamed up strip shows for girls (with women striping), 'erotic' acts and nipple tassles are all the rage in London.
Really, where? I think I missed it.

Could anyone send me the details? Purely for research into cultural phenomena, of course.

A

Anonymous

Arthur ASCII said:
I heard about this story on the radio this morning.

Quite a non-event really I suppose. Except for one thing.

A Feminist group are saying that "stripping is demeaning to women".

What an outrageous blanket statement. The organisation concerned has zero credibility in my eyes now.
They're just jealous because nobody wants to see the average feminist naked...

stonedog3

Abominable Snowman
"They're just jealous because nobody wants to see the average feminist naked..."

... like most of us they are nicer when slathered in dark chocolate ice cream :)

kath

brianellwood

Abominable Snowman
Why does sex always get dragged into it? I supported (and still do) the feminist movement to gain equal rights for women, that means equal pay, an equal say etc and against those attitudes that suppresssed women's contributions to a man's world...that squashed female artists, writers, scientists for eg. out of history and said females can't be engineers and so on.
Sexy behaviour is different, and if you want to take issue, who is exploiting who in striptease? I'll get me coat...
(I'm off to see some fortean pole dancing) :D

stonedog3

Abominable Snowman
sex isn't dragged into it - it's all about power and its various manifiestations... of which some are related to gender and matters sexual.

Kath

brianellwood

Abominable Snowman
So where's the power issue in pole dancing? apart from some club or pub owner making extra cash, along with some ladies - who probably don't share as much in the profits.

inkedmagiclady

Ephemeral Spectre
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Inverurie Jones
They're just jealous because nobody wants to see the average feminist naked...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Virgin Queen said:
:rofl: ofensive but still :rofl:

None of us on this board are average feminists. We are all......SPECIAL, and the most rockin, cool, hip, smart, thoughtful, sexy feminists around. :D :smokin: :cool:

A

Anonymous

Inverurie Jones said:
It's about turning sex into something it isn't meant to be...it ought to be fun, y'know...
a power relationship?

And don't get me started on the sex indistry (you still get people going on about how much prostitutes 'love it...well some of them anyway.' They've obviously never been through a red light district.

Then there's sexual violence, the reduction of women's bodies to fetashised objects and ofcorse...

some club or pub owner making extra cash, along with some ladies - who probably don't share as much in the profits.
Dosn't your question provide an answer Mr. Ellwood?

And in closing may I quote inkladymagic:

None of us on this board are average feminists. We are all......SPECIAL, and the most rockin, cool, hip, smart, thoughtful, sexy feminists around.

brianellwood

Abominable Snowman
It may sum up the reason why people promote such events ie cash, but the strange fact is some of us - both performers and viewers (usually portrayed as sleazy old men with their hands in their flies) actually enjoy it. Anyone on the board admit to honestly fancy trying stripping, pole dancing etc? Or harbour a fantasy about it?
As for prostitution, I'd legalise it properly along with health controls, protection of prostitutes and so on.
S&M.....I don't want to go there.....I'm off back to something more fortean... unless someone's seen a ghostly stripper or had sex with a ghost! :D

A

Anonymous

brian ellwood said:
It may sum up the reason why people promote such events ie cash, but the strange fact is some of us - both performers and viewers (usually portrayed as sleazy old men with their hands in their flies) actually enjoy it. Anyone on the board admit to honestly fancy trying stripping, pole dancing etc? Or harbour a fantasy about it?
As for prostitution, I'd legalise it properly along with health controls, protection of prostitutes and so on.
S&M.....I don't want to go there.....I'm off back to something more fortean... unless someone's seen a ghostly stripper or had sex with a ghost! :D
well I did have a dream about sex with a ghost once...

There's nothing wrong with striping as such but there is if you refuse to acnolage it's problamatic nature: the reduction of women's bodies to fetashised objects (as I mensioned above), it's place within the sex trade and so on and so forth.

To claim you can just enjoy striping as a guilt free passtime is ludicrus as is saying that if you fantasise about a thing you must acept it. Some women have rape fantisies but that dosn't meen they want to be raped. Likewise there are some of my fantisies I wouldn't want to act out.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Now this is all wrong!

Video of an inappropriate pole dance performance at the opening ceremony of a new daycare in south China earlier today has gone viral on Chinese social media, leading to the dismissal of the kindergarten director.

Some parents of the children enrolled at the government-owned Xinshahui kindergarten in Shenzhen, a city in Guangdong Province, first became aware of the incident after a video was shared in the daycare's parent group chat on WeChat, a multi-function messaging, social media and payment app.

The video shows primary school students and parents up on-stage while a young woman performs a pole dancing routine as part of a larger dance performance...

Continued [Story from last year]
https://gbtimes.com/pole-dance-show-at-chinese-kindergarten-angers-parents