• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

STRONG CONNECTIONS

A

Anonymous

Dear Forteans:

I wonder what you guys make of this:

My best friend had the most weird epileptic seizure , without any previous story of anything like it.The morning she had it, 10 minutes before, I was in the kitchen having breakfeast, when I heard her voice so loud and clear that I went on to check the door to see if she was calling me or something.

Shortly after, she calls me very confused to tell me that some stranger helped her on the street, where she was having this seizure.

This is not the first time it happens to me, and I usually know if something is wrong specially with my brother and mother as well.With them, is usually much stronger and Its like I was hit by something, with strong headaches and nausea.

any comments on that?

Best Regards

Cyberlet:confused:

Interesting case! Or two different cases?

I am assuming when you say you heard your friend's voice, that she was well
out of earshot at the time. Not much of a story if she was next door.

What was she saying? Or was she crying out? The account is a bit
ambiguous.

Did you immediately know that something was wrong or did you make the
link later?

The other cases of sympathetically feeling someone's anguish or pain without
a voice phenomenon seem related but slightly different. Again, did you
know these were premonitions of their distress or did you make the link
later on?

The question arises of how wide does the sympathy extend, just to a few
close friends and family or to a broad circle of your friends and colleagues?

Sceptics would tend to say that somebody in a wide circle is bound to be
ailing at any point in the year. Even with a few close-knit people, it could
be said you had picked up some hint of ill-health unconsciously.

But I think your account sounds genuine and it will be interesting to see
how it develops. I guess you keep a diary? And is it just bad things that
you pick up or good things too? :rolleyes:

Dear J.Whitehead:

very fast reply:)

Answering your questions:

Well, My friend was very far away, in fact in another neighborhood.Her voice was very clear and loud, but was only one word, my name, and not in a distressed way: acctually was just like she was calling me from the corridor .

At the time I just felt like calling her , but no, I did not know it was something very wrong.Before I called her, she called me, very distressed and confused, she had been out with the dog and had the seizure, fortunally just a few yards from her building, and a bloke helped her (people on the street knew where she lived because of the dog, a huge Weimarener).

Again, no distress at all on her voice.

This is not the first time I had thisbefore, but never heard a voice; It happened with my brother once, he was caugth in a shot between two rival gangs (this was in rio de janeiro, brazil, I was in England!) and he could not leave the buiding or call my mother.

At this time I had to leave the lecture room and kwew it was something to do with him, I felt very sick and had a massive headache for the entire day.We talked later on and it was just on the time he was having truble leaving the building.

Its just with my mother, brother and my friend, my best friend since childhood.Never picked up anything good, unfortunally!:)

By the way, My mothet has the same thing with me and my brother.

thanks for your interest:)

Best regards

Cyberlet

Another example. When I was at that age when your mouth is at the same height as a bakelite door knob I got smacked in the mouth by a door knob. This resulted in a couple less teeth, some pain and a small amount of blood/fear.
Shortly afterwards my big sis turned up wanting to know what was wrong with me. At the time I did it she would have been about three miles away and this was in the days before ordinary people had phones at home. She didn't hear any voices, just had a strong feeling that I'd been hurt in some way.

On a side note we always used to do well on the old zener cards. Nothing Uri-ish but always better than chance.

As a small child I used to hear voices. Mostly I couldn't quite tell what they were saying, just snatches of sound fading in and out. Sometimes though they would sound just like someone I knew (mainly my mother and brother, sometimes other adults too).

I would often hear a voice while playing in the garden (a friend/brother/mother) and rush into the house expecting someone to be waiting for me, only to become confused on finding nobody there. The owner of the voice would then arrive home some minutes later. I think I was often asking people why they had called me.

Bye...

re 'pants and Zener cards

I tried a card guessing experiment with my younger brother when we were still both at school. (I didn't know the word then, but I've clearly been a Fortean for a long time!)

We just used an ordinary pack of cards, and tried guessing things like black or red, the suit, or the card value etc. I would turn a card and say 'Guess', my brother would do so, and I'd mark down hit or miss. To my amazement my brother seemed to be scoring well above chance...

But then I realised the intonation of my voice was changing according to whether the card was a target or not (rather like the way the announcer's voice changes as he reads the soccer results, so that you can usually tell whether the away team did better or worse than the home team before he reads the second score), so I deliberately changed how I said Guess and (gesswot) my brother's scores then dropped way below expectation!

So I learned something about experimental technique even if I learned nothing about thought transference...

I agree that you have to work hard to eliminate experimenter effect and that working with someone that you know well and have a reasonable amount of empathy with is going to cloud the results. Maybe esp and empathy are exactly the same thing.

Working through the links off the main FT page a few weeks ago I came across a 'test your psychic abilities' page. After a single run through the tests I had averaged eight times better than chance.

Initially I was impressed by the use of a computer to eliminate the human influence on the subject. When I had sat down and thought it through I realised that the sequences I was guessing were either programmed by people or were created using a random number generator.

I know that one run isn't statistically significant, but my main concern is that I have a reasonable working knowledge of people and random number generators so any result I achieve is going to be tainted.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned and yearn for the days of getting the subject shitfaced and then electrocuting them.

I have this habit of answering people with my head and sometimes "forget" to use my voice -- I had this happen the other day and it was the most obvious confirmation to me that this can be done: I was talking to someone at work (a lot of people work where I work and no one really ever exchanges personal info as no one ever remembers stuff like that anyway). I know my birthdate is not written anywhere and this person works somewhere else on the floor. So she was asking me about what my sign was and I told her Aries. She said, "I knew it -- I'd guess that you were born on April 3". In the meanwhile, when she asked me about my sign, I said my birthdate to her in my head (I was just messing around because I've always thought people can talk to each other without words -- I've had this happen a few times before). It's really wierd -- I can't explain how it's done -- it's not just thinking it to yourself but thinking it towards someone. I told her that on her first guess she was right. She didn't believe me and I showed her my drivers licence and she turned red and freaked right out. "How did I know that?!" she said.

Has anyone else had this happen to them before -- where you just answered someone (something they have no way of guessing) with your head without words and they actually voice it in the exact same words you thought at them a few fraction of seconds before? What's that called?

I don't know if there is a word for that - if not, there ought to be!
Sub-vocalising? Pre-voicing?

I used to get the same thing as Cyberlet happening to me. It was only with my mother and one of my sisters. It doesn't happen anymore, since my mum died and my sister turned into a crazy old bat.
It did happen once with my brother in law, who I'm not very close to at all. I was supposed to be studying and was in that state between sleeping and waking, when I suddenly "knew" that a male member of my family had been injured. I said so to the person next to me, then thought no more about it. Only to find on my return home (in true pulp fiction fashion) that the silly sod had been knocked out with a golf ball around the same time. I put it down to either coincidence or my mind being in an unusually receptive state (ie numbed by Jane Austen).

phgnome said:
I have this habit of answering people with my head and sometimes "forget" to use my voice -- Has anyone else had this happen to them before -- where you just answered someone (something they have no way of guessing) with your head without words and they actually voice it in the exact same words you thought at them a few fraction of seconds before? What's that called?
Yes, it happens to me alot, Especialy with my sister.

Back