• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Since hearing the song during the first season of - of all things - Gomorrah, I have been referring to stuck tune syndrome as 'a dose of the Wankelmuts'.

If you are prone to earworms do it don't whatever you do, listen to this do it. Seriously do it, do it just don't. do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it....

I got the Adam Ant song "Prince Charming" running in my brain. It's an awful song. Ugh! Hate it.
Listen and get infected too!
Thankfully, Adele's Chasing Pavements is about to take over.

This happens to me at times of extreme fatigue or stress. I can recall staying in hospital when my daughter was very ill and couldn't get Neil Innis of the Bonzos "I'm the Urban Spaceman" out of my head.
This whole phenomenon was superbly illustrated in the 2003 docudrama "Touching the Void" in which a badly injured mountaineer took days to descend a mountain and became delirious with pain, dehydration and hypothermia. In one protracted, nightmarish scene he has a horrible, distorted and echoey version of Boney M's "Brown Girl in the Ring" permanently looping in his head.

Aaaaargghh! Now I'm singing Urban Spaceman in my head!

Got up this morning with the earworm of an old song my Grandmother used to sing to me when I was small. My Grandfathers clock. It just wont go away and not a song I ever bother about. I looked it up out of curiosity and it is a song from the late 1800s which means it was probably sung to my Grandmother as a child by her mother. Wonder if there is anything to it or just an annoyance. Will need to find a tune online to listen to and to cancel it out.

Anyone remember the old UK schools programme Picture Box? I'm awaiting the arrival of a similar box (a long felt want) and have the theme tune going as an earworm.

Played on an instrument made of bones! (true)

??? ... Where did you find a claim any instrument used contained bones?

The Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures group used the Baschet brothers' instruments made of metal and glass. To the best of my knowledge no organic materials were ever used in the Baschets' devices.

??? ... Where did you find a claim any instrument used contained bones?

The Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures group used the Baschet brothers' instruments made of metal and glass. To the best of my knowledge no organic materials were ever used in the Baschets' devices.

Wow, I've heard for years whenever the tune is played on the radio that it was played on specially made bone instruments. Not true?

I'm not sure, because I'm not sure the version of Ménage used as the theme music for Picture Box was the same version the Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures recorded on their rare albums. I've never found any definitive statement as to whether it was or it wasn't. Neither have I seen anything suggesting the Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures employed any non-traditional instruments other than those constructed by the Baschet brothers or that the Baschet brothers constructed their sound sculptures using anything other than 'artificial' / 'manufactured' materials like steel, aluminum and glass.

At least it's got a bit of class, I've had Dido's Lament stuck for most of the day...

At work an electronic sound goes off which sets me humming a Chris Rea song. I don't know any words to that one or its title but I still hear it in my head and join in tunelessly.

Hahahaha, nailed it! It's not Chris Rea, it's Joe Jackson's Stepping Out.
Wouldn't have got that except for playing a compilation CD in t'banger.

I haven't looked at this forum for a couple of weeks. On Monday I was at a 90's and 00's Christmas party night. The DJ was awful. All that music to choose from and he p.icked anything but floor fillers. Anyhow, randomly he played Stepping Out by Joe Jackson. None of us knew it and had to Shazam it. I don't recall this song at all or it ever being mentioned. It has been stick in my head all week. I finally got rid of it today, come on this forum in there it is again!! And back in my head...

I haven't looked at this forum for a couple of weeks. On Monday I was at a 90's and 00's Christmas party night. The DJ was awful. All that music to choose from and he p.icked anything but floor fillers. Anyhow, randomly he played Stepping Out by Joe Jackson. None of us knew it and had to Shazam it. I don't recall this song at all or it ever being mentioned. It has been stick in my head all week. I finally got rid of it today, come on this forum in there it is again!! And back in my head...

My work here is done. :evil:

Mine from yesterday from work was Tom Jones Delilah. It took all my willpower not to sing out loud " ha ha ha ha" after he sings "she stood there laughing" .

I was rummaging in the attic and accidently found a photo of myself at 17. I shared it on Facebook for a laugh with a link to Peter Cook singing Spotty Muldoon, now it's stuck in my head.

So it may get stuck in yours:

Bad news ... Newly reported research indicates earworms cna affect, and even invade, your sleep.
Earworms Don't Just Haunt You When You're Awake, Sleep Study Reveals

... A new study investigating the phenomenon indicates that earworms invading our brains at night could cause problems in getting to sleep and staying asleep.

"Our brains continue to process music even when none is playing, including apparently while we are asleep," says neuroscientist Michael Scullin from Baylor University.

He and colleagues used surveys of 199 people, as well as a sleep lab test involving 50 volunteers, to measure how listening to music before bedtime affects sleep. In particular, the team focussed on catchy earworms, technically known as 'involuntary musical imagery'. ...

In the survey part of the study, participants who frequently listened to music during the day were more likely to report persistent nighttime earworms, which then had a negative effect on sleep quality through the night. ...

Earworms were reported throughout the night by participants, with those catching an earworm taking longer to fall asleep, spending more time in the light stages of sleep, and waking up more times during the night, on average.

That's more evidence for how catchy tunes can disrupt sleep, but surprisingly the instrumental versions of the songs caused about twice as many earworms (and more subsequent sleep problems) than the versions with vocals. ...

"We thought that people would have earworms at bedtime when they were trying to fall asleep, but we certainly didn't know that people would report regularly waking up from sleep with an earworm," says Scullin. ...

Past studies have linked late-night music listening with better sleep in those with insomnia, perhaps because it can relax the body. The researchers behind the new study suggest that actually it might be worse for our sleep – that even after the tunes stop, our brains continue to process them for several hours. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s...c-before-bed-can-seriously-disrupt-your-sleep

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the published report on the earworms / sleep study.

Scullin MK, Gao C, Fillmore P.
Bedtime Music, Involuntary Musical Imagery, and Sleep.
Psychological Science. June 2021.
doi:10.1177/0956797621989724

Abstract
Many people listen to music for hours every day, often near bedtime. We investigated whether music listening affects sleep, focusing on a rarely explored mechanism: involuntary musical imagery (earworms). In Study 1 (N = 199, mean age = 35.9 years), individuals who frequently listen to music reported persistent nighttime earworms, which were associated with worse sleep quality. In Study 2 (N = 50, mean age = 21.2 years), we randomly assigned each participant to listen to lyrical or instrumental-only versions of popular songs before bed in a laboratory, discovering that instrumental music increased the incidence of nighttime earworms and worsened polysomnography-measured sleep quality. In both studies, earworms were experienced during awakenings, suggesting that the sleeping brain continues to process musical melodies. Study 3 substantiated this possibility by showing a significant increase in frontal slow oscillation activity, a marker of sleep-dependent memory consolidation. Thus, some types of music can disrupt nighttime sleep by inducing long-lasting earworms that are perpetuated by spontaneous memory-reactivation processes.

SOURCE: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797621989724

It's funny how electronic beeps can do that. If we leave our fridge door open, it gives out a two-note ping which sounds exactly like the start of one of the themes from Jackson's LOTR.

Every time I've been for a lateral flow test recently, I get the Spitting Image "Chicken Song" running through my head, because I think "Stick a swab up my nose" and somehow it becomes "Stick a deckchair up your nose"...

Back