• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The song that does my head in every time is Kylie Minogue's (appropriately titled) "Can't get you out of my head".

I don't even like her music (Bob Dylan fan, me is) but everytime I happen to hear it (and I do try to avoid it), this tune gets stuck in my head for days!

Similar thing happened on a plane ride from Munich to Sydney last year (a 24 hour plane ride) - I stumbled across a song called "Alibi" by David Grey and couldn't stop playing it. Must have listened to it on in-flight e-system at least 25 times... :shock: No idea why, but I didn't buy the CD for fear of repeating the experience!

Yesterday afternoon at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, I was passing a PA horn when it began blaring an announcement that the grand parade would begin in a few minutes. So all the way along sideshow alley, I was stuck with Genesis' "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" marching through my head.

I had a ridiculously inappropriate pair of tunes stuck in my head yesterday: Das Lied Der Deutschen as sung by Nico, and Closer by Nine Inch Nails ('I want to **** you like an animal...') I kept having to fight the urge to sing them out loud.

Do you think if you had sung them out loud, that might have got you a mention in the Strange People thread? ;)

I had to crawl repeatedly under a yew hedge yesterday (cat related reasons). The rest of the day I had Hendrix's Crosstown Traffic in my head "it's so hard to get through yew." The brain works in mysterious ways.

H_James said:
I had a ridiculously inappropriate pair of tunes stuck in my head yesterday: Das Lied Der Deutschen as sung by Nico, and Closer by Nine Inch Nails ('I want to **** you like an animal...') I kept having to fight the urge to sing them out loud.

Anyone remember when Bruno Brookes played that song uncensored on the Radio 1 Top 40 all the way through? He didn't notice at all, didn't even acknowledge it with an apology.

Of course, "The Bad Touch" by The Bloodhound Gang is exactly the same song, oh yes it is. Another candidate for inappropriate songs that stick in the head.

Funny, I was listening to that yesterday, and the similarity didn't occur to me...

Right now I have Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar stuck in my head. I have no idea how it got there :p

I woke yesterday with the music from Empire of The Sun that starts " We are the people who rule the world". I couldn't work out for a minute which song the music was from. It had been playing on a tv in Target the day before when I was looking at the book department but I don't know why it popped up the next morning.

Isis177 said:
I woke yesterday with the music from Empire of The Sun that starts " We are the people who rule the world". I couldn't work out for a minute which song the music was from. It had been playing on a tv in Target the day before when I was looking at the book department but I don't know why it popped up the next morning.
Perhaps it was played in tribute:
James Graham Ballard (15 November 1930 – 19 April 2009[1]) was a British novelist and short story writer and former Japanese internee. He was born in the International Settlement in Shanghai, China. He was a prominent member of the New Wave in science fiction. His best known books are the controversial Crash, and the autobiographical novel Empire of the Sun, both of which have been adapted to film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_G_Ballard

I love watching the video images that go with that song but there was just the music in my head.
it's only the second time I've woken to music. The first time was the day before my husband died and that time it was James Blunt's "Goodbye my lover", but I didn't realise the significance till later.

On last night's Apprentice they had to make up a brand of breakfast cereal, including an advert with jingle. Today my flatmate had one of the jingles stuck in her head all day (in was the one with the parrot for 'Pirate Flakes')!

Show me the way to go home from Jaws seems to get regularly stuck in my head. Even typing this out i'm in danger of getting it stuck in my head again. It doesn't help that i love the film and watch it every time i spot it is on TV.
I used to suffer from stuck tunes quite badly when i had a radio alarm set to a music station. I now wake up, like a lot of people, using my mobile phone. My ring tone is the start of brian damage by the Artic Monkeys. Now whenever i hear that i beging to search for my mobile to switch it off!

I also find the music in Jaws seems to stick with me, especially the John Williams soundtrack.

The only truly un-exorciseable tune I know.

All together now...

Blue- oo-oo Savannah Song, oh- o-oh.

....Right, that's you lot stuck with it for the week, my work here is done.

(Exits stage left with an evil chuckle and a distant sound of 80's camp electronica...)

'love love LV today ay do do do do do do do love love LV today'

It's a steering whell in my trousers - driving me nuts. ;)

I don't know whether anyone else has mentioned this, but Russell Brand said that when he's not thinking of anything else, his brain goes into default mode and he hears "I'd rather have a bowl of coco pops" over and over. Now, if he'd left that as a message on the answer machine he wouldn't have been in so much trouble!

For some reason, I've got "Mary's Boy Child" going round my head!

Wtf's that all about? We're about as far from Xmas as you can get.

And I haven't had the radio on for hours (and anyway I mostly listen to news or classical), so there hasn't been anything to remind me of the tune.

Maybe it's a world cup thing - someone with a mother called Mary is going to score a hat-trick, perhaps! :D

rynner2 said:

Maybe it's a world cup thing - someone with a mother called Mary is going to score a hat-trick, perhaps! :D
Could be - you haven't heard "Let It Be" recently, have you?
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let's get three.

Make it three, make it three...

found that at times of stress, myself and a friend from work both get The Magic Roundabout tune.

[/quote]

had that one, gets really wearing after a few days, it's worse than Barbie Girl

I've had the Incredible String Band's, 'Way Back In The 1960s', running around in my head, for the last couple of days.

Yes, you made your own amusements, then .. :madeyes:

"say you don't mind" - just listened to both the blunstone and laine versions on you tube - I think it's the denny laine version I have stored away and is replaying.

I've got the tune from the "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard" video stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

The worst thing about it, is that I've adapted the words to "They're taking the pusscats to Meowrengard" and sing it to my cat, which makes it stick even more.

I've got the bloody Safety Dance (Men without Hats) tune stuck in my head after seeing a spoof of it on YouTube...

That Safety Dance is really addictive. I saw it a couple of weeks ago in an ad for "Glee", and had it in my head for a couple of days.

I've had a weekend with several earworms at once. Everything I try to replace Cootes Boyes and Simpson's record with gets stuck in turn. Right now it's Squeeze's Black Coffee in Bed, simply because I'm drinking black coffee, I'm not even in bed FFS. I think it must be a tension thing.

Squeeze's Black Coffee in Bed was on Desert Island Discs last week. Have you been listening to the podcast, you techy little realbird, you?

Back