Stuff You've Just Bought

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Not... getting rid of the collection?! *shudders*
Hahah no, things aren't that bad yet. Getting rid of the 'sub-collection' - the hundreds of records that I've picked-up over the years for free.

When vinyl was in the doldrums I made a habit of rescuing skip-bound collections. I went through everything, and kept the stuff I liked. Duplicates were sold as I went along, but anything unique went on shelves in the spare room.

I've come to the realisation that I'm never going to appreciate Cliff Richard or Shirley Bassey so I may as well get rid while people want records. Most of them are listed for pence (plus postage), but I'd rather they went to people who actually want them rather than the tip. Charity shops still aren't interested.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
A friend of mine is getting seriously into collecting vinyl, but finds all the really interesting/quality stuff costs an absolute bomb, even in the charity shops.

Though I did hear some expert on the radio recently saying the real money is in 1990s records, because Generation X and their music collection are so reluctantly parted.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
A friend of mine is getting seriously into collecting vinyl, but finds all the really interesting/quality stuff costs an absolute bomb, even in the charity shops.

Though I did hear some expert on the radio recently saying the real money is in 1990s records, because Generation X and their music collection are so reluctantly parted.
That's half right - 90s-pressed records are so valuable because hardly any were pressed (I'm talking rock albums here - 90s dance 12"s are all over the place, but most have been DJed to death). I've got first presses of Morning Glory, The Bends and OK Computer that would sell for triple figures. However my first mono pressing of Sgt Pepper is only worth about £70.

Sadly, the real money is with.....Keane. Their first album is worth an absolute packet on vinyl. You can pick-up the CD for a penny.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, the middle of the road is a popular place to be, tastewise. Still weird that Tom Chaplin of Keane ended up living the hard rock 'n' roll lifestyle and nearly died because of it, though.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
This book. The author's essays & theories have been discussed in a couple of threads here, so I thought it worth a read.
weirdscenes.jpg
According to Google: The very strange but nevertheless true story of the dark underbelly of a 1960s hippie utopia. Laurel Canyon in the 1960s and early 1970s was a magical place where a dizzying array of musical artists congregated to create much of the music that provided the soundtrack to those turbulent times. ...

I'm looking forward to this.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
That's half right - 90s-pressed records are so valuable because hardly any were pressed (I'm talking rock albums here - 90s dance 12"s are all over the place, but most have been DJed to death). I've got first presses of Morning Glory, The Bends and OK Computer that would sell for triple figures. However my first mono pressing of Sgt Pepper is only worth about £70.

Sadly, the real money is with.....Keane. Their first album is worth an absolute packet on vinyl. You can pick-up the CD for a penny.
My Sergeant Pepper LP and CD are both signed by Peter Blake – with a bit of foresight I could have had the LP signed by Paul McCartney and George Martin as well. I met Paul, Linda, Peter and George Martin at a private opening of a Linda McCartney exhibition at the Royal Photographic Society in the late 80s...

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Went to the supermarket and there's a book sale, and I picked up a couple of very famous ghost tomes. They're ones I've had before but probably been lent out or somehow lost. I just wish I had someone to read them aloud to!
I'm available, should you wish to read aloud...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I'll put the kettle on, and break out the posh biscuits...
Go for it.

When I worked in kids' homes I'd read aloud to my charges at bedtime to settle them. They were troubled teenagers, some on remand for quite serious crimes, so the books weren't the works of Hans Anderson. Stephen King was a favourite.

Can remember reading them the one that opens with a tooth and some hair growing in somene's brain. Brrr.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Go for it.

When I worked in kids' homes I'd read aloud to my charges at bedtime to settle them. They were troubled teenagers, some on remand for quite serious crimes, so the books weren't the works of Hans Anderson. Stephen King was a favourite.

Can remember reading them the one that opens with a tooth and some hair growing in somene's brain. Brrr.
When I worked in kid house units for similar reasons, I was playing them human beat box tapes and shouted at them all to shut up and watch The Phantom Menace trailer one day when it was on telly .. when I wasn't trapping some of them against the wall with bean bags when they were trying to fight each other ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Bought a 'cat groomer', like a rubbery brush with long soft spikes that you rub over the moggie.

Outside the shop I bumped into a couple I know. We chatted and then I produced the 'groomer' and said 'Well I'm off home now to stroke my pussy!'
My feeble joke went down FAR better than I'd expected. As I walked away they were still laughing hysterically. Mrs Slocombe lives yet!

Tried it on the ancient Bagpuss. She froze and stood still, entranced, for about half an hour while I stroked her from the top of her head to the tip of her tail. It removed all her loose fur.
I eventually told her 'We have to stop now or you'll be sore!'

Not bad for a quid.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
A new indoor aerial (range 15 miles to make sure it can see our nearest transmitter :)) for the telly we're moving to the soon-to-be-finished back room we're currently decorating.

(We don't want to get the telly set up yet though, cos we've already moved a sofa in there so having somewhere to sit and the ability to watch telly would equal 'room finished' and we'd never actually properly finish it).

INT21

Antediluvian
This book. The author's essays & theories have been discussed in a couple of threads here, so I thought it worth a read.
View attachment 21724
According to Google: The very strange but nevertheless true story of the dark underbelly of a 1960s hippie utopia. Laurel Canyon in the 1960s and early 1970s was a magical place where a dizzying array of musical artists congregated to create much of the music that provided the soundtrack to those turbulent times. ...

I'm looking forward to this.
I have John Mayalls 'Blues from Laurel Canyon' . Bought the LP when it came out.

The content would appear to fit with the above mentioned book.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Nuking The Moon And Other Intelligence Schemes And Military Plots Best Left On The Drawing Board by Vince Houghton. That's my Christmas reading sorted. Along with all the other books I intend to read over the holiday season when there's bugger all on tv but damn cricket!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I have John Mayalls 'Blues from Laurel Canyon' . Bought the LP when it came out.

The content would appear to fit with the above mentioned book.
I'm waiting for the Netflix documentary 'Echo from the Canyon' to come Down Under. Sounds superb from what I've heard.