Stuff You've Just Bought

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Saw a fascinating prog on that there telly in the early 90's on the background to the first ever auction of Russian space Exploration memorabilia (about 250 lots) by Sotherbys. The American astronauts (until very recently) got medals, all equipment remained the property of NASA. The Soviet cosmonauts got medals and souvenirs, all equipment was the property of the USSR - but after 1991 there was no USSR and the Russian Gov't allowed the sale of personal items. I sort of remember Yuri Gagarin's widow (living in a tiny Moscow flat on a pension pittance) putting up a pair of space gloves he'd worn and the Hasselblad camera he'd used to take the first pictures from a space capsule - she made thousands of dollars (the Soviets only took 10% commission). In the same auction some-one bought the Lunakhode-1 lunar surface rover, parked up in the Moon's Sea of Rains since 1971 for $68,500 (buyer collects) and the only legal sale of moon rock to a private individual.
Anyway, I saw the Sotherby's auction catalogue for sale on Ebay and bought it - except the auction I was thinking of was 1993 whilst this catalogue was for a second one in 1996. Even so it is gorgeous with a great deal of history devoted to each lot.

space history.jpg Auction_0620.jpg

(Vostok canine high altitude pressure suit 1959 est $10,000-15,000)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Saw a fascinating prog on that there telly in the early 90's on the background to the first ever auction of Russian space Exploration memorabilia (about 250 lots) by Sotherbys. The American astronauts (until very recently) got medals, all equipment remained the property of NASA. The Soviet cosmonauts got medals and souvenirs, all equipment was the property of the USSR - but after 1991 there was no USSR and the Russian Gov't allowed the sale of personal items. I sort of remember Yuri Gagarin's widow (living in a tiny Moscow flat on a pension pittance) putting up a pair of space gloves he'd worn and the Hasselblad camera he'd used to take the first pictures from a space capsule - she made thousands of dollars (the Soviets only took 10% commission). In the same auction some-one bought the Lunakhode-1 lunar surface rover, parked up in the Moon's Sea of Rains since 1971 for $68,500 (buyer collects) and the only legal sale of moon rock to a private individual.
Anyway, I saw the Sotherby's auction catalogue for sale on Ebay and bought it - except the auction I was thinking of was 1993 whilst this catalogue was for a second one in 1996. Even so it is gorgeous with a great deal of history devoted to each lot.

View attachment 22646 View attachment 22647

(Vostok canine high altitude pressure suit 1959 est $10,000-15,000)
I'm envious. That's a piece of history in itself.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I've just pre-ordered Cornershop's new LP from Rough Trade. Double vinyl LP on telephone box red and La Poste yellow vinyl.

I've seen them in the Lamb & Packet in Preston. They went to uni at Preston and started the band there.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I got swift kick to balls this morning on import duty for the mega sd £53 from Dhl.its mega cd on a fpga+arm cpu chip so it a clone that uses iso files.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Not so much 'bought' as 'rented', but a new water filter.

Unbeknownst to me our two-year contract expired this week and true-to-form my wife spotted a superior deal on a replacement: we rent a plumbed-in water filter, a water filter for the shower, an all-singing, all-dancing bidet for the lavatory (which I have never used) and an air humidifier for home and another my office. It's all now under one package with LG (includes monthly servicing and vital repairs), which nets maximum discounts.

Most of those things don't interest me, but the new filter is pretty cool: ice-cubes, chilled water, room-temperature water or hot water at a press, and you can tailor how much it dispenses per push to fit your glass/cup sizes or simply have it flow until a second push registers.

Ooh, water!

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
I might be the happiest girl in the world today; I've got a saddle!

The story is; I can't have a real horse, so for the last 25 years, I've been talking about building myself one, out of chicken wire and papier mache, over a metal skeleton (which my lovely ex is providing), so I can sit on it; I might even make it into some kind of rocking horse.

Recently, I've thought I might actually get on and do it instead of talking about it, especially as I now have granddaughters who would love it too.

So, I thought I might look at getting some real pony tack, and making my horse to fit it. I wasn't going to bother looking at saddles, as they're very, very expensive, but I was browsing used tack on ebay, hoping to find a bridle, and I found an old hunting saddle. not useable for riding, as the leather has gone very stiff, for the princely sum of £9.95!!! I did have to pay £14.95 P&P, but it means I've got a lovely old saddle for £25 :cool2:

I feel like a girl in a pony book :cheer:

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've seen a review of Super-Inframan, bit I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my "Must See This Movie" list...
You know how Danny Lee has this filmography where he's in serious stuff like The Killer and City on Fire, but do a bit of digging and you'll quickly find he's in lots of absolutely batshit stuff as well? Super-Inframan is one of the latter. And I think it's right up your street!

anros

Fresh Blood
7ca5071ef4c894687c9ccbee351962f32af117d9_2_375x500.jpeg

Amazing sounds out of something that doesn’t take up much space. Great investment. Might get a second one and you know, throw a party:)
And my 72 yr grandpa asked me for a new planner. I ordered the smart one for $20 on Amazon. He loves to write short life stories or notes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

The story is; I can't have a real horse, so for the last 25 years, I've been talking about building myself one, out of chicken wire and papier mache, over a metal skeleton (which my lovely ex is providing), so I can sit on it; I might even make it into some kind of rocking horse.

Recently, I've thought I might actually get on and do it instead of talking about it, especially as I now have granddaughters who would love it too.

So, I thought I might look at getting some real pony tack, and making my horse to fit it. I wasn't going to bother looking at saddles, as they're very, very expensive, but I was browsing used tack on ebay, hoping to find a bridle, and I found an old hunting saddle. not useable for riding, as the leather has gone very stiff, for the princely sum of £9.95!!! I did have to pay £14.95 P&P, but it means I've got a lovely old saddle for £25 :cool2:

Scrolling up to those photos from the foot of the page was a perturbing experience.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

View attachment 22877 View attachment 22878 View attachment 22879
All you need now is £647,000,000 worth of saddle soap and neatsfoot oil!

maximus otter

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
My friend has a horse.

His sole purpose in life is to generate income for the vet and farrier. (on top of livery)

He goes lame if a saddle is put on his back.

Stick to your toy one.
This is indeed part of the reason for building my own; absolutely no vet fees, insurance, livery, farrier, there's no end to it irl!

I'm also rapidly approaching 50, and have a dodgy knee; dragging out of bed at 6 A.M to break ice on water troughs doesn't have the appeal it did aged 20 :wink2:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
This is indeed part of the reason for building my own; absolutely no vet fees, insurance, livery, farrier, there's no end to it irl!

I'm also rapidly approaching 50, and have a dodgy knee; dragging out of bed at 6 A.M to break ice on water troughs doesn't have the appeal it did aged 20 :wink2:
Did it ever have an appeal at age 20?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
OMG, yes!

That's what horses do to you when they get into your head; there's pretty much nothing that's too much trouble :evillaugh:

A friend of ours keeps horses, just as pets, no riding. She has rheumatoid arthritis. Every morning she drives alone a mile to the stables to do the horsey care stuff like mucking out and lugging a bale of hay around. I've considered helping her out, but as she has an adult daughter who technically owns one of the horses but still won't do anything for her I'm not putting myself out!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
King Kong VS Godzilla and Mighty Peking Man on blu ray. I am the happiest man in the world...
Mighty Peking Man in a nutshell: "Oh dear, giant apeman, I appear to have popped out of my top!"

I trust you already have Super-Inframan?
I've seen a review of Super-Inframan, bit I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my "Must See This Movie" list...
Just bought Super-Inframan. What bliss!