Stuff You've Just Bought

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Dad was ogling camera lenses in the Argos catalogue.

I found him a secondhand but unused one on Ebay for a fraction of the price.

He will have to wait for it though.
Great work! Get it him ASAP. He will be DESPERATE.

Reminds me of Escet's camera woes. He had an expensive camera which he managed to drop from a height, smashing the front end bit.

At the time he was working at CERN and visited several cities around Europe and the USA for conferences, taking the camera with him in the hope of a repair.
He tried various shops but got nowhere with it; they didn't keep the parts in, they'd have to order one, there was no guarantee they'd even get one, no they couldn't give him a price and send it on and anyway it needed work, not just the part...

When he told me I rang a little camera repair shop in the next city to here, where a bloke in a brown overall said ''old on, Duck, I'll 'ave a look in t'boxes in t'back!'
Two minutes later he'd found a used but serviceable replacement. Next day Escet flew in and we went straight off to the shop, where the part, all shinily cleaned, was fitted in no time for £60. Highly recommended.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You've inspired me to buy a pickle fork (well, a set of 2 food-grabbing gadgets) to replace the one of mine that's gone missing.

I love pickled onions.
A ham sandwich with mustard and sliced pickled onions :)
May I suggest that when the Cover-19 restrictions are lifted, the three of us meet up for lunch and dish the dirt on whomever we deem fit?

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dawn of the dead 4K boxset is up for pre order out on October 23 and I've pre ordered a copy.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Can I add "Stuff I Will Not Be Buying, But Long To Buy"? The Gamera Complete Collection Limited Edition Blu Ray - at $225.99 (delivery $7.49), it's rather pricey, and comes with 120 page comic and 80 page book, I want it, I want it, I want it, but there's better things I can use over $200 on!

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Can I add "Stuff I Will Not Be Buying, But Long To Buy"? The Gamera Complete Collection Limited Edition Blu Ray - at $225.99 (delivery $7.49), it's rather pricey, and comes with 120 page comic and 80 page book, I want it, I want it, I want it, but there's better things I can use over $200 on!
Lol it's only £109.99 in the uk.

Ps the protecters of morality that's the bbfc have given the boxset a 15.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
May I suggest that when the Cover-19 restrictions are lifted, the three of us meet up for lunch and dish the dirt on whomever we deem fit?
Anyway, I know a joke about pickled onions.

feinman

Only human skeptics will be probed..
Reaction score
With an avatar like that, I wonder who the lunch would be! :p

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
pretty please? :)
OK. Not promising sophistication here, mind.

A young bloke has an unfortunate motorcycle accident which results in his losing a testicle.

He's offered various ways of coping with this deficiency.

One is to have counselling to help him live with the condition.

Another is to take part in trials for a radical new treatment which might or might not work and could be painful or even dangerous.

The third is to accept a very basic organic prosthetic testicle which could be in place within the week.

Unsurprisingly he chooses the prosthesis. The operation goes well.

Afterwards the surgeon comes to see the patient and explains that the prosthesis will take a couple of weeks to bed in, and that any side effects will be permanent but shouldn't cause too much trouble.

The patient asks 'Just out of interest, can you please tell me a little about the prosthesis? Just so I know what to say if anyone asks.'

The surgeon looks down, shuffles his feet a bit and says 'Well, we needed something to match the exact size and shape of your remaining testicle.

So I sent a medical student out to buy three jars of pickled onions, various types, and tipped them all out on the operating area sink, and then selected one with the exact diameter, weight and firmness of your extant testicle.

You really couldn't have a more perfect copy of it, and I personally guarantee that nobody will know any different.'

The patient says' Wow, thank you, Doctor! In that case I'll keep my mouth shut! '

Off he goes and is soon back at work and resuming his normal life.

A fortnight after the operation he goes back for his post-op consultation.

He tells the surgeon everything has healed nicely and the new testicle is indistinguishable from the original.

The surgeon asks, delicately, 'And have you noticed anything different in the, er, romantic department? Anything at all?'

The young man thinks for a moment, then says 'There is one small side-effect.
You know when you see a gorgeous girl, in a short skirt and skimpy top, and she smiles at you and you think 'Oh boy! ' and, you know, you start getting a stiffy? '

The surgeon says 'Yes!'
And the patient says 'Well, I get that every time I see a cheese sandwich.'

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just ordered some new pads for my Bose QC 35 II. Couldn’t find genuine Bose so bought something else with enough decent reviews on Amazon to (potentially) warrant wasting a tenner on.
And a new raised bed for the Labrador. He’s 14 months now and is now out of the chewing stage. He hates this warm weather so we thought we would treat him to a new bed that can be put down in the coolest places of the house. The springer pup is looking forward to moving into a much bigger dog crate.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Lol it's only £109.99 in the uk.

Ps the protecters of morality that's the bbfc have given the boxset a 15.
That's because the Australian dollar is about half the British pound, meaning you're paying almost twice the amount for things as we are...

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Code Geass Lelouch Of The Resurrection on DVD.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not Fortean related at all but am so happy to get these two books. Most of the money from these go the Royal Preston Hospitals Baby Beat appeal. All the former players and managers in these books have a special link to PNE. So for someone like me, these will be a fantastic read:
North End Souls FT edit.jpg

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
The Mole People on Blu Ray. Another fantastic film starring John Agar!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A while ago I bought a posh 'pudding steamer', ie a bowl with a lid, from a discount place.

Used to make my family steamed puddings all the time so when I saw that one i decided to have another go.

Hadn't made one for years, partly because my special pudding basins went astray.

So now I have a chic new pudding basin and there is a pineapple upside-down creation simmering away inside it as we speak.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cooked, served, eaten.