Stuff You've Just Bought

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I work in the auto-repair business in paint and materials supply, so I know a thing or two about the finishes used on various cars.
(Tesla is terrible BTW)
A lot of vehicles during the late 80s and through the nineties, particularly Toyotas, Vauxhalls and a lot of low-volume manufacturers used a type of paint which included a 'plasticiser' as it made it give better coverage during application. (More modern ingredients have replaced it now).
Unfortunately, what wasn't known at the time was that the plasticiser was affected, over the long term, by exposure to UV radiation/light.
It is most noticeable on Red and Yellow vehicles. It's the same effect you see on printed labels on things that have been left out in the sun too much and they fade.
No amount of cutting and polishing is likely to restore the colour as it goes through the entire depth of the paint layer, which is only a few microns thick.
If you really care for the Toyota, and it is worth saving, you'd be better off spending a couple of hundred quid on a 'blow over' with the original colour.
Did you just offer me a blow over?

No seriously, is that a type of respray?

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Lol. No I didn't.
And yes, a 'blow over' is a type of respray.
Instead of getting the whole of the car, including all the door shuts etc, thoroughly rubbed down with any dents or scrapes being filled properly etc, a 'blow over' assumes the integrity of the surface is good, it gets a mild rubbing down just to 'key' the surface so that a fresh top-coat will take, a new layer of glossy lacquer over that and 'bobs your uncle'.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have a copy, but never made much progress with it. It's supposedly true, but probably all made up as a terrible warning not to do drugs in the 1970s. A losing battle in that decade, you would have thought, but it was must-read material for ver kids of the day.
It was a year 8 (second year of high school) text book for us. Not a bad book, but I preferred the gritty 'Christiane F' about a teenage drug addict/prostitute and her boyfriend in Berlin, which was also made into a movie (with a great soundtrack by Bowie).

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Lol. No I didn't.
And yes, a 'blow over' is a type of respray.
Instead of getting the whole of the car, including all the door shuts etc, thoroughly rubbed down with any dents or scrapes being filled properly etc, a 'blow over' assumes the integrity of the surface is good, it gets a mild rubbing down just to 'key' the surface so that a fresh top-coat will take, a new layer of glossy lacquer over that and 'bobs your uncle'.
Cool cheers, might look into that in the Spring.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It was a year 8 (second year of high school) text book for us. Not a bad book, but I preferred the gritty 'Christiane F' about a teenage drug addict/prostitute and her boyfriend in Berlin, which was also made into a movie (with a great soundtrack by Bowie).
At that age I had To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men! What did you get in Year 9, Valley of the Dolls?!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been shopping and bought some stuff for my growing collection of oddities. My latest purchases:

A small piece of the fireplace from the living room of 10500 Cielo Drive where Sharon Tate et all were murdered by members of the Manson family.

A piece of wreckage from the experimental aircraft John Denver was flying when he crashed in 1997. In a slight Fortean twist, he was born in Roswell, New Mexico.

A piece of pink flooring carpet from the Buick, Jayne Mansfield was killed in on her way to New Orleans on June 28, 1967. Her daughter Mariska Hargitay (she of Law & Order: SVU fame) survived along with her siblings.

A small piece of timber belonging to the stair of the apartment Lee Harvey Oswald and his wife Maria were living in, in Dallas, Texas until the day President Kennedy was assassinated.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A starters pistol, a feathered dummy and a rabbit skin covered dummy for the Gundog training. As much as I love both the little hounds our 11 month old springer is vastly outdoing the 18 month old lab, much to my disappointment

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been shopping and bought some stuff for my growing collection of oddities. My latest purchases:

A small piece of the fireplace from the living room of 10500 Cielo Drive where Sharon Tate et all were murdered by members of the Manson family.

A piece of wreckage from the experimental aircraft John Denver was flying when he crashed in 1997. In a slight Fortean twist, he was born in Roswell, New Mexico.

A piece of pink flooring carpet from the Buick, Jayne Mansfield was killed in on her way to New Orleans on June 28, 1967. Her daughter Mariska Hargitay (she of Law & Order: SVU fame) survived along with her siblings.

A small piece of timber belonging to the stair of the apartment Lee Harvey Oswald and his wife Maria were living in, in Dallas, Texas until the day President Kennedy was assassinated.
I may just stick to the beer mats.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
@Patrick30 are those pipes standard or is it customised?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that the international mail has stabilised, we've ordered a new batch of books for Miss Yith.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 02.15.21.pngScreenshot 2020-09-16 at 02.15.53.pngScreenshot 2020-09-16 at 02.16.31.pngScreenshot 2020-09-16 at 02.17.08.pngScreenshot 2020-09-16 at 02.17.38.png

Does anybody have any suggestions for a five-and-a-half-year-old? Her tastes skew towards the slightly traditional (she tends to think 'zany' stories are a bit stupid), cats and underwater are favourite themes.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Mousehole cat. (Dont know who its by)

Theres a story about a fat cat who tries to slim, is it called Ten ton ted? (or Ten Ton Tom?)

How is `Where the Wild Things are` not zany? Its a scholarly exploration of psycology (and maiden aunts)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The Mousehole cat. (Dont know who its by)

Theres a story about a fat cat who tries to slim, is it called Ten ton ted? (or Ten Ton Tom?)

How is `Where the Wild Things are` not zany? Its a scholarly exploration of psycology (and maiden aunts)
Thanks, will investigate that.

We read Where the Wild Things Are once, a year or so back.

She liked the illustrations, but she hasn't gone back to it.

(I didn't mention that book, mind you!)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A CLOCK FULL OF BISCUITS

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Now that the international mail has stabilised, we've ordered a new batch of books for Miss Yith.

View attachment 29750View attachment 29751View attachment 29752View attachment 29753View attachment 29754

Does anybody have any suggestions for a five-and-a-half-year-old? Her tastes skew towards the slightly traditional (she tends to think 'zany' stories are a bit stupid), cats and underwater are favourite themes.
Some nice Australian classic additions could be:

Possum Magic - Mem Fox (still writing to this day)
The Magic Pudding - Norman Lindsay
Snugglepot & Cuddlepie - May Gibbs

Recently published

Pig the Pug (a series) - Aaron Blabey
Macca the Alpaca - Matt Cosgrove

We sell most of the above in our store and they are ever popular. My wife was a teacher for 25 years before we went into retail and her children's book selections (even if I do say so myself) are excellent.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd. From what I remember not a detailed story but has some very enjoyable/funny rhyming, I recommend it. :) I believe there's a cat version too - 'Slinky Malinki'.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some nice Australian classic additions could be:

Possum Magic - Mem Fox (still writing to this day)
The Magic Pudding - Norman Lindsay
Snugglepot & Cuddlepie - May Gibbs

Recently published

Pig the Pug (a series) - Aaron Blabey
Macca the Alpaca - Matt Cosgrove

We sell most of the above in our store and they are ever popular. My wife was a teacher for 25 years before we went into retail and her children's book selections (even if I do say so myself) are excellent.

I've got a very early (1932) illustated hard back copy of Sugglepot and Cuddlepie, bought off a bookstall for a shilling when I was a child. Very strange pictures!

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
To be honest - having 6- and 4-y old boys, it is all about Brawl Stars, Fall Guys and Star Wars Clones... so no idea about girls

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Six Dinner Sid (a cat who goes to all the houses in the street).
I do believe I know that cat, or possibly half a dozen of his sponging relations.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ive read the gluten free one

They are great pastiches.