Stuff You've Just Bought

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We've just got back from one of our evening walks and, by subtly turning the subject of conversation to Christmas, I've managed to obtain a good number of clues for what Miss Yith might like to receive.

Accordingly, I've just ordered plush toys of two of her favourite animated characters:

View attachment 31805

Plus a bundle of books.

View attachment 31806 View attachment 31807 View attachment 31808

Gushing about your children can get old very fast, but I will just say that I am quite relieved that Miss Yith's tastes skew--like mine--towards the more traditional.

Speaking to some kids her age and hearing the snark and arrogance from the media they consume reflected back just makes me shudder.

It's like the world decided to skip childhood and start the new generations off as proto-teens.
The Briggs Father Christmas book was one of my kids' favourites. We'd read it together, especially as The Time grew near. Must've gone through quite a few copies! There's still a tatty one in the loft somewhere.

It was quite controversial on its publication. Briggs' Father Christmas isn't a Disneyfied character with a huge staff of busy elves. He lives in an Edwardian terraced house, like the one Briggs' parents owned when he was a child.

Some miserable old twat critic panned it for showing the hero performing an act of personal hygiene. It was one of the kids' favourite scenes! That critic can't have brought up children.

The sequel is good too, when Father Christmas Goes On Holiday. For year my kids'd look out for him on beaches!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The Briggs Father Christmas book was one of my kids' favourites. We'd read it together, especially as The Time grew near. Must've gone through quite a few copies! There's still a tatty one in the loft somewhere.

It was quite controversial on its publication. Briggs' Father Christmas isn't a Disneyfied character with a huge staff of busy elves. He lives in an Edwardian terraced house, like the one Briggs' parents owned when he was a child.

Some miserable old twat critic panned it for showing the hero performing an act of personal hygiene. It was one of the kids' favourite scenes! That critic can't have brought up children.

The sequel is good too, when Father Christmas Goes On Holiday. For year my kids'd look out for him on beaches!
I remember the animation from my childhood--the one that fuses both of the stories from the book into one. Miss Yith and I caught it last Christmas while back in the UK.

The central conceit that Father Christmas could be 'just a chap trying to get his work done so he can sit down and put his feet up' is charming. I think it plays into the the plausibility of his existence for younger children.

With a combination of my answers to her questions, the general mythology and some thinking for herself, Miss Yith has assembled a pretty rounded idea of Father Christmas: he's somewhat like Jesus and Buddha, but unlike them he's still alive because he doesn't get older. The Father Christmases that she has visited in grottos are usually his assistants (who help out because of the size of his job), but one of them might have been the real one as his assistants look and act much the same as their boss, but nobody ever knows for sure. We know of course, that he likes mince pies and beer or wine, and the one she met last Christmas said that he liked to have a beer when he'd finished his deliveries, so he's a possible candidate...

briggs17.jpg

Apparently, Briggs based the character on his own father, a milkman, who appeared alongside his mother in Ethel & Ernest (they also formed the basis for the characters in When The Wind Blows), but there are also shades of his Gentleman Jim, the imaginative toilet cleaner: something about the nobility of doing your job properly--albeit it a humble one--in spite of petty bureaucracy and selfish people, never losing your humour or giving up on your dreams completely.

Keep Buggering On, as Churchill had it.

Father-Christmas-Briggs-int.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Get your arse to Mars

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's that pudding time of year. I foolishly made Techy a sponge pudding a while back. He was highly impressed.
There have been many more since then. A rod for my own back!

So I acquired a set of six little pudding basin with lids to make a load of different flavours at once. Tonight's were two each of honey, apricot jam and fruit/cinnamon. We had one pudding each with custard. Gorgeous.

Last edited:

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It's that pudding time of year. I foolishly made Techy a sponge pudding a while back. He was highly impressed.
There have been many more since then. A rod for my own back!

So I acquired a set of six little pudding basin with lids to make a load of different flavours at once. Tonight's were two each of honey, apricot jam and fruit/cinnamon. We had one pudding each with custard. Gorgeous.
How do you make a good sponge puddin' ? Asking for a friend.

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My excellent Christmas presents, for getting back into plastic kit modelling after far too long:

Fengda AS-189 compressor

Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus 2-in-1 airbrush

View attachment 32017

ReaseJoy Portable Airbrush Spray Booth Set

:p

maximus otter
Sweet kit, I'm on the edge of miniature painting again but my eyes are crap these days heh. I got a 3d printed figure of my mental image of Tangletwigs ready to prime and have at when I can afford some stuff.

EDIT Twigs wanted to make an appearnce sigh ...
hobbit 54mm.jpg

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I have just ordered a mug for eldest daughter (who largely despises mankind).

It bears the legend 'Cats. Because people are dicks.'

I think she will enjoy it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
How do you make a good sponge puddin' ? Asking for a friend.
This is the recipe I last used.

Some topping - jam, syrup, honey, whatever.
Or dried fruit with or without cinnamon/mixed spices, or desiccated coconut, choc chips, cocoa, mashed banana, I dunno, to mix in.

150g softened butter, plus extra to grease
150g soft light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
150g self-raising flour
Milk

1. Butter a 900ml pudding basin and spoon your topping (if using it) into the bottom.

2. Beat the butter and sugar together with a pinch of salt until fluffy, and then gradually beat in the eggs and then the dried fruit (or whatever) until well mixed in.

Fold in the flour followed by enough milk to give a smooth dropping consistency. Spoon mixture into the basin.

3. Attach the basin's lid. Lob it in your pan and steam for 2 hours.*

4. When it's time to eat, carefully pick up the basin and remove its lid.
Gently insert a knife between the pudding and the inside of the basin and press inwards to separate them. Do this all the way round. Don't just stick the knife in and run it round the pudding or it will crack the edges.

Hold a plate tightly over the top of the basin and turn it all upside down so the pudding drops onto the plate and looks delicious. Apply custard.

*I can advise. Steaming the pudding can be done in a pan on the cooker or in an electric casserole, which is how I do it. Four hours or so. Foolproof.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
You can also steam puddings by putting them into a casserole dish half filled with boiling water, put the lid on and put into the oven for 25 minutes. Not quite as fluffy, but faster if you REALLY want steamed pudding.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I should point out that you need to have the oven heated to 180 degrees. Not just putting a steaming dish into a cold oven. Which reminds me of the time my brother was instructed how to cook mashed potato. Peel potatoes, put in pan, bring to boil, mash.

He found them too hard to mash, because the essential stage 'leave to boil for twenty minutes' had been left out.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I should point out that you need to have the oven heated to 180 degrees.
Oven, heh, I never use the oven for steaming puddings. It's the electric casserole all the way.
Have made them in a pan too but that's too much trouble as you have to remember to check if it's boiling dry.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have just ordered two Facebook Portal TV boxes thingies.

My wife's eldest is a staff nurse on trauma/A & E in Bristol. They have really missed each other during Covid and she may not be able to get over for Christmas as planned.

The youngest lives next door to us with her husband and 4 year old grandson.

One box if for the eldest in Bristol and one is for here as a Christmas present.

I love the idea of everyone being able to talk together via two TV's. The money isn't that important, but the idea of connecting family appeals to me very much.

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I managed to find a 1st pressing of "The Amorphous Androgynous - We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal" which I mentioned on here earlier in t'week. From Amazon but via a proper record seller. Nice pressing, cover art is rather lovely in 12"form.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Forgotten Worlds by Patrick Chouinard. Bought from a bookseller on Ebay, new although first published in 2012.
It's very interesting so far and mentions research by others I've read about. Quite a bit about archaic humans which interests me.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some shirts, three with floral patterns plus a couple of plain coloured linen ones for summer. Also some shorts. Truly hot weather is just around the corner.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I've had a £40 'Halfords' voucher knocking about for the past few months, thanks to getting new car tyres from them.
So yesterday I went and bought a new, large, extendable, hose-fed, car washing brush and a small, stiff, wheel cleaning brush.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
cyber city oedo 808 pre orderd and im wateing for millennium actress on 4K uhd to come up for pre order.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've had a £40 'Halfords' voucher knocking about for the past few months, thanks to getting new car tyres from them.
So yesterday I went and bought a new, large, extendable, hose-fed, car washing brush and a small, stiff, wheel cleaning brush.
young-brunette-woman-taking-a-shower-with-garden-hose-BP025F.jpg

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
We've just got back from one of our evening walks and, by subtly turning the subject of conversation to Christmas, I've managed to obtain a good number of clues for what Miss Yith might like to receive.

Accordingly, I've just ordered plush toys of two of her favourite animated characters:

View attachment 31805

Plus a bundle of books.

View attachment 31806 View attachment 31807 View attachment 31808

Gushing about your children can get old very fast, but I will just say that I am quite relieved that Miss Yith's tastes skew--like mine--towards the more traditional.

Speaking to some kids her age and hearing the snark and arrogance from the media they consume reflected back just makes me shudder.

It's like the world decided to skip childhood and start the new generations off as proto-teens.
Looks like she’d be happy with a Studio Ghibli box set.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like she’d be happy with a Studio Ghibli box set.
Would consider for the artwork, but all the major Ghibli films are on Netflix now.

We went to a Studio Ghibli exhibition in Seoul three years ago--quite a major one.

They had a 1:1 scale plush Cat-bus you can board and large working models of a number of mechanical flying machines.

Great stuff to fire the young imagination.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Needed a new washing up bowl so I could use the old one for moving plants. Bought one with soft panels on the sides to hold it by and, AND, an actual draining plug. So you don't even have to tip it over to empty it. £2.50. What a time to be alive.

Last edited: