Stuff You've Just Bought

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Sent Escette one of these -
(Amazon link)
Snowball Maker Tool

It's a mould for making duck-shaped snowballs.
For some reason the description mentions hearts and not ducks. It makes ducks though.

duck maker.jpg

Several sellers stock them but I went for the one with the best Engrish description.

• Prepare for Snowball Fighting: Our the thicken design snowball makers can save you time and help you make perfect Heart snowballs quickly and easily. No need to use your hands directly. Protect your hands from snow.
    [*]Durable & Comfortable Handle: It made of high-quality plastic which is safe for children. The handle is comfortable to grab, you can use it to make sand balls & snowballs.
    [*]Cute Heart Design: Heart Snowball Maker is Designed with a very cute cartoon heart shape. It is a great toy for children to enjoy their wonderful childhood. Wear-resisting, no peculiar smell, and no burr.
    [*]Enjoy the Fun: Snow is a fantastic thing in winter. Just enjoy the fun! Use the snowball maker on the beach for making a sand building and the game of snowballs fight.
    [*]Creative Toy Invention: Snowball maker will not only meet the child's curiosity and expectation but also improve their ability to adapt to seasonal changes and benefit the development of their muscles at the same time.
It works perfectly. Escette found it hilarious. :D

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sent Escette one of these -
(Amazon link)
Snowball Maker Tool

It's a mould for making duck-shaped snowballs.
For some reason the description mentions hearts and not ducks. It makes ducks though.

View attachment 34288

Several sellers stock them but I went for the one with the best Engrish description.

It works perfectly. Escette found it hilarious. :D
Was it on this forum that I saw a video of this in action? It was of a guy sitting snowball ducks on a wall. Looks like fun!

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
This:
View attachment 34294
That's right. "Hot dogs" made entirely of mozzarella, coated in a thick batter, on a stick. Haven't tried them yet, but they sound good.
Hmmmm, artery clogging...
giphy-5.gif

Today I bought the classic movies Glen Or Glenda (starring Bela Lugosi) and Plan 9 From Outer Space (almost starring Bela Lugosi). I am a man of refined tastes...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This:
View attachment 34294
That's right. "Hot dogs" made entirely of mozzarella, coated in a thick batter, on a stick. Haven't tried them yet, but they sound good.
These are popular in Korea--my wife and daughter being among the fans. They often put lines of ketchup and/or (yellow) mustard on them, as in the packet decoration.

You'll be unentertained to learn that the Korean says simply: Whole Mozzarela Hot Dog(s).

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
Are they like mozz sticks with sticks? If they have corndog batter you might not want to get 'em too hot or you could napalm yourself with hot mozz.. :incan: (at last the perfect emoji).

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hmmmm, artery clogging...
View attachment 34296
Today I bought the classic movies Glen Or Glenda (starring Bela Lugosi) and Plan 9 From Outer Space (almost starring Bela Lugosi). I am a man of refined tastes...
I watched 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' just last week. It's so bad it's great!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
mould for making duck-shaped snowballs.
So when someone throws one they can shout "DUCK"!

That's just prior to the cops turning up and arresting you for a snowball fight, in a show of appropriate community policing.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I read somewhere about pre-searing meat being utterly pointless (re slow cookers). It was a whole article explaining the science and why - despite assertations from people that it improved the flavour - it really was unnecessary.

Of course, I cannot now find that article to illustrate my point. I am a non-searer, except of mince, because I find it stops the mince clumping together. Everything else goes straight in, raw. The point of the slow cooker is to save me time, not increase my faffage.

I just ordered a bamboo bath caddy. Got tired of sliding about in the bath trying to find the shampoo bottles I'd carefully placed up the far end whilst showering. Now I will only have to slide half as far.

Trevp666

Reaction score
The McD apple pie is like trying to eat molten lava.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
I read somewhere about pre-searing meat being utterly pointless (re slow cookers). It was a whole article explaining the science and why - despite assertations from people that it improved the flavour - it really was unnecessary.

Of course, I cannot now find that article to illustrate my point. I am a non-searer, except of mince, because I find it stops the mince clumping together. Everything else goes straight in, raw. The point of the slow cooker is to save me time, not increase my faffage.
I've always greatly admired your faffage...

Trevp666

Reaction score
I read somewhere about pre-searing meat being utterly pointless
Nope, that's only the thing about searing meat being done to 'keep the juices in', which it doesn't.
What the searing does do though is create a layer of charred/caramelised bits on the surface of the meat which absolutely do alter the flavour profile.
This is easily checked by cooking 2 batches in a slow cooker. One in which any meat has been thoroughly 'pre seared', and the other batch to the same recipe but just bunging the meat in without any 'faffing'.
I guarantee you will taste the difference.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Nope, that's only the thing about searing meat being done to 'keep the juices in', which it doesn't.
What the searing does do though is create a layer of charred/caramelised bits on the surface of the meat which absolutely do alter the flavour profile.
This is easily checked by cooking 2 batches in a slow cooker. One in which any meat has been thoroughly 'pre seared', and the other batch to the same recipe but just bunging the meat in without any 'faffing'.
When I bragged on'ere about lobbing raw vegetables in my soup maker I received a stern bollocking for not searing them first! :chuckle:

I do it now, with the herbs and spices. Takes a few minutes.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
But it means taking an extra ten minutes and another pot. Given my loathing of washing up, spending time at the stove or, indeed, being in the kitchen at all, I think I'll just keep lobbing it in raw. By the time it's been cooking for ten hours I expect I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference anyway!

feinman

Reaction score
Yep--you could be in McDonald's Apple Pie territory.
You are right! Those are the WORST --and kids want them to stick them in their little gobs and then they get second degree burns.. With the hot coffee and napalm hand pies... That filling really sticks too.. :incan::incan::incan:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
But it means taking an extra ten minutes and another pot. Given my loathing of washing up, spending time at the stove or, indeed, being in the kitchen at all, I think I'll just keep lobbing it in raw. By the time it's been cooking for ten hours I expect I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference anyway!
A local butcher used to sell 'meat packs' for a couple of quid, with chops, portions of chicken, chunks of beef and lamb and the odd kidney.
They were popular with my lot as I'd lob it all in the slow cooker with stock and vegetables for an interesting teatime stew.

I'd serve each kid a couple of ladles of it and they'd enjoy the surprise! :chuckle:

Reminded me of a yarn a university tutor told us. He'd lived and taught in Nigeria and would sometimes watch goat stew being prepared by the roadside as street food.

The goat would be butchered on the spot and chopped into sections about as big as a lime.

You'd buy a bowl of it containing one piece of meat, which could be a portion of thigh or hoof or eyeball. o_O

(His romantic walk on the beach story was good too.)

Trevp666

Reaction score
the odd kidney
I think i'd prefer a regular kidney than an odd one.

But it means taking an extra ten minutes and another pot
Hey, you can do as you please, I'm not the 'slow cooker police'! Sometimes I think that if I bunged an old shoe in my slow-cooker it'd be tasty.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
These are popular in Korea--my wife and daughter being among the fans. They often put lines of ketchup and/or (yellow) mustard on them, as in the packet decoration.

You'll be unentertained to learn that the Korean says simply: Whole Mozzarela Hot Dog(s).
One thing I won't be buying from the Korean supermarket is corn dogs made from fish - with or without cheese.

Are they like mozz sticks with sticks? If they have corndog batter you might not want to get 'em too hot or you could napalm yourself with hot mozz.. :incan: (at last the perfect emoji).
Yep--you could be in McDonald's Apple Pie territory.
Ahh- the joys of dangerous Asian foods!

feinman

Reaction score
One thing I won't be buying from the Korean supermarket is corn dogs made from fish - with or without cheese.
Ahh- the joys of dangerous Asian foods!
Because the fish is so polluted? It isn't really fish? :thought:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think i'd prefer a regular kidney than an odd one.

Hey, you can do as you please, I'm not the 'slow cooker police'! Sometimes I think that if I bunged an old shoe in my slow-cooker it'd be tasty.
Then when you got it out I might accidentally marry it.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A local butcher used to sell 'meat packs' for a couple of quid, with chops, portions of chicken, chunks of beef and lamb and the odd kidney.
They were popular with my lot as I'd lob it all in the slow cooker with stock and vegetables for an interesting teatime stew.

I'd serve each kid a couple of ladles of it and they'd enjoy the surprise! :chuckle:

Reminded me of a yarn a university tutor told us. He'd lived and taught in Nigeria and would sometimes watch goat stew being prepared by the roadside as street food.

The goat would be butchered on the spot and chopped into sections about as big as a lime.

You'd buy a bowl of it containing one piece of meat, which could be a portion of thigh or hoof or eyeball. o_O

One of the weirdest things I ever saw akin to this was in my favourite cafe/ restaurant in Kuala Lumpur. It sounds shocking but at the time was more surreal than upsetting.

It was a cheapish place but served fantastic fresh food – think chicken with cashew nuts and chilli. As with some posh restaurants in the west there was a tank with live seafood in it (I don't eat fish, which may be one reason I wasn't that upset). So, somebody chose a nice, fresh fish for their supper. Does the chef take it to the back of the restaurant and do the honours or does he... take it out the tank, put it on the floor and beat the flapping fish to death with a big stick, a not-immediate process!?

I think you can guess the answer...

Odd, to my squeamish Western eyes. Though I tucked into my chicken, rice and a nice big bottle of ice-cold beer,

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

I'm in that story! (Off to the side, looking horrified...)