Stuff You've Just Bought

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I have a book about sushi which has a foreword by Jean-Pierre Rampal. He tells of a trip to Japan when he pointed to a fish in the tank, and the chef took out the fish, cut out a fillet, and returned the living fish to the tank.

I used to be in contact with a fellow who went to Japan every year. He once sent me a video tape of a Japanese show about resort food. There was one place that would totally fillet all the useable meat off a fish and serve it next to the carcass. The head and gills were still quivering when served.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A possum deterrent for our roof cavity. It emits an ultra sonic noise that supposedly possums hate and also has a motion sensor that when it detects movement will shine an ultra bright strobe light, also something they dislike.
possum.jpg

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
A possum deterrent for our roof cavity. It emits an ultra sonic noise that supposedly possums hate and also has a motion sensor that when it detects movement will shine an ultra bright strobe light, also something they dislike.
View attachment 34332
Wouldn't a torch and a decent air rifle be cheaper? The New Zealand way of dealing with the little fuckers.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's a fancy scarer. I only have the $18 plug in ones from Woolworths.
I found possums also didn't like perfume sprayed through the vents when they made a noise.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Disappointing news about the bamboo bath caddy.

I assumed, naively, that all baths were the same width. Turns out the caddy is about five millimetres too short. So it fits, but only just and if I put anything on it it would slide into the bath. I chose this one because it was the only one that didn't have a 'slot' for my iPad. I don't have an iPad, and if I did I certainly wouldn't use it in the bath.

So Daughter One is down for this caddy, and I'm going to have to buy another one. That fits, this time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I assumed, naively, that all baths were the same width.
Ah now you should've asked me. I have LOTS of experience with baths of different widths. One, in a house I briefly rented when hugely pregnant, was so narrow that I could pull the plug out while still in it and half the water would stay put like in the Hoover Dam.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Reminded me of a yarn a university tutor told us. He'd lived and taught in Nigeria and would sometimes watch goat stew being prepared by the roadside as street food.
A shame, as goat is one of the nicest meats, think lamb with attitude.

But a lot of cultures who prepare it have no idea how an animal is jointed neatly.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's a fancy scarer. I only have the $18 plug in ones from Woolworths.
I found possums also didn't like perfume sprayed through the vents when they made a noise.
We have brushtails & ringtails. Have to take the heavy handed approach.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We have them both as well, they come up from the local park where there obviously isn't enough food for them so they eat most of my fruit instead.
I have one of the few houses where there are any food trees as most houses around are rented out and pretty bare.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Looks like something you’d ‘fall on’ with your dressing gown open and end up in A&E with.
A type of accident which in the 80s in the West of Scotland was known as "doing a Bryce Curdy", after a local minor celeb/DJ/quiz show host type who was rumoured to have presented himself in A&E with a light bulb lodged in an unusual place...

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Ah now you should've asked me. I have LOTS of experience with baths of different widths. One, in a house I briefly rented when hugely pregnant, was so narrow that I could pull the plug out while still in it and half the water would stay put like in the Hoover Dam.
When I bought the house someone muttered vaguely about having had 'the original bath re-enamelled and refitted'.

It turns out the the original bath was the only thing that fitted in the space. Modern baths would be just a wee bit too small. I knew the bath was longer than standard, but wider? Never crossed my mind.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yep--you could be in McDonald's Apple Pie territory.
In Asda today I spotted a display of Burn Your Gob In The Comfort Of Your Own Home apple pastries.

The little pastries come in a microwave container which will ensure they reach the optimum Sun-like temperature.

So convenient for when you can't get out.received_2769998189932910.jpeg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In Asda today I spotted a display of Burn Your Gob In The Comfort Of Your Own Home apple pastries.

The little pastries come in a microwave container which will ensure they reach the optimum Sun-like temperature.

So convenient for when you can't get out.View attachment 34366
"Have you had an accident, then why not talk to our crack team of personal-liability experts?!"

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And marked down to £1.35 for 12!
That's 11 and a bit pence per scorched tongue!
A bargain in anyone's money.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A type of accident which in the 80s in the West of Scotland was known as "doing a Bryce Curdy", after a local minor celeb/DJ/quiz show host type who was rumoured to have presented himself in A&E with a light bulb lodged in an unusual place...
I heard, way back when, it was a...

...dildo stuck in his fundament.

I have no idea whether it was true, I suspect not, but what a legacy to leave us before he slipped from the limelight.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I have no idea whether it was true, I suspect not, but what a legacy to leave us before he slipped from the limelight.
He was back IN the limelight a couple of years ago -
(Respectable Daily Record link)

Bryce Curdy cleared of raping 12-year-old girl as former STV presenter walks free from Glasgow High Court

A jury found the case against him not proven.

Judge Johanna Johnston told Mr Curdy: “By the verdict of the jury you are now free to leave the court.”

Mr Curdy said: “Thank you, my lady,” before leaving the courtroom.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Looks like the kind of thing that arrives at your door a couple of days after you've been on Ebay whilst very drunk. Still, at least you'll have the pleasure of being able to say "quarter past Ronald Allen" when anyone asks you the time.
Not drunk, just spotted it with less than 2 minutes left before the opportunity was gone.
That said, more sentences should contain the phrase "Amy Turtle o'clock".

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score

He was back IN the limelight a couple of years ago -
(Respectable Daily Record link)

Bryce Curdy cleared of raping 12-year-old girl as former STV presenter walks free from Glasgow High Court
I think it says a lot about how widespread those rumours used to be that when I typed his name into a well known search engine earlier, the second thing it suggested was "Bryce Curdy hospital".

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Not drunk, just spotted it with less than 2 minutes left before the opportunity was gone.
That said, more sentences should contain the phrase "Amy Turtle o'clock".
Like an extension of the curious turtle excuse?
'Sorry, must dash, it's Amy Turtle o'clock!'

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

So convenient for when you can't get out.View attachment 34366
Mmm napalm turnovers, i love the smell of napalm in the morning :hahazebs: