Stuff You've Just Bought

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I read somewhere about pre-searing meat being utterly pointless (re slow cookers). It was a whole article explaining the science and why - despite assertations from people that it improved the flavour - it really was unnecessary...
Searing meat doesn't actually seal anything in - which is what you'll often hear tell is the point - but apparently it does trigger something called the Maillard reaction, which mucks around with the molecules responsible for flavour at the the seared surface of the meat. Or something.

It's not strictly pointless, but clearly - and literally - it's a matter of taste. I don't always bother with mince, but I do with chunkier bits of meat.

I bought a book on the science of cooking some time back. Turns out a lot of received kitchen wisdom is complete bobbins, but it's interesting seeing it explained as to why it's bobbins - and when it's not, why it's not.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Or something.
This proper use of quantifiable scientific terms meets with my approval, fulfilling all of the requirements of the standard trevp666 rigorous experimental measurement method.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
This proper use of quantifiable scientific terms meets with my approval, fulfilling all of the requirements of the standard trevp666 rigorous experimental measurement method.
I find the Ptolemaic aut aliquid model of scientific/philosophic argumentation extremely useful. It can be applied anywhere. And is never, strictly speaking, wrong.

Or something.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A megalodon tooth and a pterosaur tooth.

The pterosaur tooth was described thusly:

It comes from the Kem Kem beds of Morocco and is associated with Coloborhynchus, a Pterosaur from the Early Cretaceous with an estimated wingspan of 5m (15ft).

Here's the meg tooth:

megalodon.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
A megalodon tooth and a pterosaur tooth.

The pterosaur tooth was described thusly:

It comes from the Kem Kem beds of Morocco and is associated with Coloborhynchus, a Pterosaur from the Early Cretaceous with an estimated wingspan of 5m (15ft).

Here's the meg tooth:

View attachment 34800
Is that actual fossilised meg tooth or a mock up?

How much. if you don't mind measking?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
A Garrett EuroACE metal detector:

Well actually it was my wife, for both of us. We were avid watchers of Time Team, and more recently Detectorists; and we still tune in to any promising-looking archaeology-based telly programmes.

We both remember years ago staying in a lovely B&B on Skye, and finding a pile of metal detecting magazines provided as loo reading. When was asked about the choice of literature, the proprietor revealed that he was a keen detectorist, and showed us his best find: a gold coin of the era of Charles I which had been pierced to wear around the neck, so probably a
touch piece. The thought of finding gold is quite a motivator...

maximus otter

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
My sewing kit has just arrived. Normally I would have gone to the shop and bought a packet of needles and some thread, but the shops are shut and the one I work in doesn't sell them.

I only need to sew on one button, But the rest will come in useful. Probably.

There are always more buttons.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
A Garrett EuroACE metal detector:

Well actually it was my wife, for both of us. We were avid watchers of Time Team, and more recently Detectorists; and we still tune in to any promising-looking archaeology-based telly programmes.

We both remember years ago staying in a lovely B&B on Skye, and finding a pile of metal detecting magazines provided as loo reading. When was asked about the choice of literature, the proprietor revealed that he was a keen detectorist, and showed us his best find: a gold coin of the era of
Charles 1 which had been pierced to wear around the neck, so probably a touch piece. The thought of finding gold is quite a motivator...

maximus otter
Way-hay ! the EuroAce was the first proper detector I bought about 4 years ago when I joined a club. Since moved on to a different model but still take it along to digs (seems so long ago) as my back-up. Expect to find more nails than gold to start with.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sharks, lots ot teeth, been around for 300 million years.
Wonder what you'd get from the Elasmobranchii Fairy if you put that beauty under your pillow ?
You can get genuine ones from China for half the price or less, but you have to wait forever for them to arrive and if there's a problem, communication can be an issue.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Great view, ugly house.
Ah, but it's got a pinball machine in it, so it's not all bad – though on the whole it lacks a little, er, taste!

I'd love a pinball machine, though I'd probably get even less work done than I do now, which is saying something. It would have to be a Bally, too, not the inferior Gottlieb or Williams models. I reckon a 'Kiss', 'Fathom' or 'Lost World' from the 1970s/80s, all now fantastically expensive.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, but it's got a pinball machine in it, so it's not all bad – though on the whole it lacks a little, er, taste!

I'd love a pinball machine, though I'd probably get even less work done than I do now, which is saying something. It would have to be a Bally, too, not the inferior Gottlieb or Williams models. I reckon a 'Kiss', 'Fathom' or 'Lost World' from the 1970s/80s, all now fantastically expensive.
Ah but what about a pinball machine that possibly features you in it as this one is a Lethal Weapon machine!