Stuff You've Just Bought

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
how and to where does gravel go
If you have vehicles with a large enough tread gap on the tyres (tires) then you'll find that individual stones will wedge themselves into the tread, thus being carried out onto the road surface when the vehicle leaves. I expect that over many years this has depleted your gravel coverage.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Kanedas bike?

Ohh.

I remember Akira when it first came out; it blew my mind. I sat up all night with SOAS Zipango society watching it.

Later years I got a copy of the Manga...which is good but not mind blowing as there is more exposition and so you know what is going on

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Kanedas bike?

Ohh.

I remember Akira when it first came out; it blew my mind. I sat up all night with SOAS Zipango society watching it.

Later years I got a copy of the Manga...which is good but not mind blowing as there is more exposition and so you know what is going on
Akira was the first anime I bought on vhs hell I didn't even know what anime was until I saw akira.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
I dabble in water colour :rollingw:

I make studies and mock up sections for my embroideries, can't remember the last time I painted for it to be the end product,
This sounds like a good way to design the pattern and composition. Also, I find that if I approach my oil painting with the mindset of "I am now going to paint with control and professional intent and CREATIVITY" I just really fuck it up. :) As in, I really mess it up!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A printer - we've not had one in the house for years but now we're both WFH for the foreseeable it's become a pain not having one.

20 years later and they are still an absolute fucker to set-up, aren't they?
That reminds me of this Eddie Izzard routine

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
And this came too. It makes noises.

View attachment 36114
My nephews bought me a communicator years ago (just dug it out, batteries still work). Press button and red light comes on and you get 5 seconds to record a message ('This is Captain Slog'). Then press other button and green light comes on with your message playback. Oh and there's a clip on the back so you can hang it from your belt.

Maybe we could form a gang ?

Star Trek_0241.jpg

Endlessly Amazed

Reaction score
If you have vehicles with a large enough tread gap on the tyres (tires) then you'll find that individual stones will wedge themselves into the tread, thus being carried out onto the road surface when the vehicle leaves. I expect that over many years this has depleted your gravel coverage.
Trev666 - Good observation. Yes, this has happened at other places over the years. But here, the driveway is paved concrete. I honestly can't imagine what happened to the gravel in the yard before we bought the place. Squirrels? Aliens? Tornadoes? Thunderbirds? Senior citizens with hidden gravel desires? We see nothing out of the ordinary, yet the gravel especially in one place got thinner and then disappeared in the past 2 years leaving a dirt patch. WTF. I shall ride shotgun over my new fancy gray gravel.

Endlessly Amazed

Reaction score
If there is earth under the gravel then worm action will take it downwards fairly quickly :)
What?!? Can this really happen? If so, that may be where all the gravel went. Thanks, Frideswide. We do have earth worms here, even in the desert. They all come out when it rains in the summer.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
What?!? Can this really happen? If so, that may be where all the gravel went. Thanks, Frideswide. We do have earth worms here, even in the desert. They all come out when it rains in the summer.
yes, this can and does happen :)

They aren't interested in the gravel itself, but their action in tunneling, moving soil and pulling eg leaves down into it mean that a very slow churn is taking place. The gravel gets taken down.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
Good guess, but no. It is PB33, manganese blue. Very saturated bright light blue with a hint of green. Maybe a ton left in the world. Easy to manufacture but not profitably. Do you oil paint? I do but not well.
I paint with oils, and I'm insanely jealous of your manganese blue; I'm slightly obsessed with blues!

Endlessly Amazed

Reaction score
I paint with oils, and I'm insanely jealous of your manganese blue; I'm slightly obsessed with blues!
It shows up on ebay, but rarely. If you are in the UK, then its available at Cornelison's. Also, the best hue which mimics this is Gamblin's (PB15.4). I am determined to not get hung up on using up my tiny amount. Preciousssssss.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
(I can't actually figure out what Megadeath's new acquisition is supposed to do. I'm guessing its some guy thing. Please, nobody help me out.)
That a little sexist woman like nerdy thing to.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What rip off and this is what do scalpers and that's is the one I'm getting it a re release and zavvi are selling it under rrp.
You can get them cheaper i was just going for the shock factor lol

Screenshot_20210226-154734.png

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
(I can't actually figure out what Megadeath's new acquisition is supposed to do. I'm guessing its some guy thing. Please, nobody help me out.)
It's a model/toy: https://www.amazon.com/Kanedas-Revival-Bandai-Spirits-Popynica/dp/B08S7KJQD6
  • Kaneda's bike from the global anime hit AKIRA is about to explode into collections worldwide!
  • This renewed edition comes 11 years after the first release: an incredibly accurate, heavy weight, and highly detailed portrayal of this iconic high-tech motorcycle
  • The front suspension, which is accentuated with chrome detailing, accurately flexes; pressing the accelerator pedal triggers an engine sound, while pressing the brake pedal triggers a tire-squealing effect
  • You can even connect it to external speakers for immersive, high-quality audio playback!
I love Akira and if I had the spare cash I'd love one of these, too.

Endlessly Amazed

Reaction score
It's a model/toy: https://www.amazon.com/Kanedas-Revival-Bandai-Spirits-Popynica/dp/B08S7KJQD6
  • Kaneda's bike from the global anime hit AKIRA is about to explode into collections worldwide!
  • This renewed edition comes 11 years after the first release: an incredibly accurate, heavy weight, and highly detailed portrayal of this iconic high-tech motorcycle
  • The front suspension, which is accentuated with chrome detailing, accurately flexes; pressing the accelerator pedal triggers an engine sound, while pressing the brake pedal triggers a tire-squealing effect
  • You can even connect it to external speakers for immersive, high-quality audio playback!
I love Akira and if I had the spare cash I'd love one of these, too.
Ok. Thanks, Yithian and others. That model is amazing and a work of art in itself. If one was a fan of the manga film, that just adds to the attraction.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Bought another in the tiny cheap and cheerful Star Trek set. These are about £7 each. I find this quite hard to justify but it has been a tough year. It lights up.

1614890502477.jpeg

Plan is to paint my hand green and do a pinch hold on it.

1614890607572.jpeg