Stuff You've Just Bought

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
My very good friend ran a Renault 5 Turbo for some years, back in the 90s.
It went like a scalded cat, and handled like it was on rails.
It did, however, require constant maintenance. New spark plugs every 1500 miles was common.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My very good friend ran a Renault 5 Turbo for some years, back in the 90s.
It went like a scalded cat, and handled like it was on rails.
It did, however, require constant maintenance. New spark plugs every 1500 miles was common.
That’s the problem with older cars. They can be money pits and unreliable. Most of my friends have classics as second cars, I’ve been tempted but just can’t justify the cost.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That’s the problem with older cars. They can be money pits and unreliable. Most of my friends have classics as second cars, I’ve been tempted but just can’t justify the cost.
As ive mentioned previously i would love to own a '57 Chevy Bel air, but i dont have a spare £100,000 laying around

maxresdefault.jpg

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I think that depends on the car. We have two cars, a 1990 VW Scirocco and a 1994 Toyota MR2. Both daily drivers when we still drove somewhere every day.

Easily the most reliable cars we've ever owned, no monthly lease or repayment, cheap insurance, easy to maintain and repair.

But then VW and Toyota are known for quality and reliability. I wouldn't take on a thirty year old Fiat or Citroën.

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I think that depends on the car. We have two cars, a 1990 VW Scirocco and a 1994 Toyota MR2. Both daily drivers when we still drove somewhere every day.

Easily the most reliable cars we've ever owned, no monthly lease or repayment, cheap insurance, easy to maintain and repair.

But then VW and Toyota are known for quality and reliability. I wouldn't take on a thirty year old Fiat or Citroën.
Yes VW and Toyota are very reliable brands, I think most Japanese cars are. I’ve got a Golf at the moment,it’s a 2013 plate so not really old, but I’ve had absolutely nothing go wrong with it.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
My other nephew is more sensible than his older brother, so for his birthday I bought him two packs of Soviet propaganda poster playing cards. I haven't opened them but I think the card illustrated was to encourage alcohol abstinence. Here a sensible chap is declining a glass of sweet sherry with his quorn burger and chips.

Soviet cards.jpg

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Reaction score
It comes with the shade as shown, but my roommate has spares. Including one with leaves pressed into it, which is pretty cool.

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

The vinyl is much brighter than that picture makes it look, if thats possible.
God I love Riot Season.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I'm not massively into cars (hence my name here!) but the worst car I ever drove was my parents' Citroen C1, which felt like it was made out of tin cans and was powered by an elastic band! It actually lasted for years and ran okay, but things like changing the battery were made unnecessarily difficult, almost as if the designers took a perverse pleasure in making it so! And the foot pedals were so cramped your feet weren't even parallel when you drove. Terrible.

My other least enjoyable drive was the Proton Wira, which journalists were given to drive while covering a bike race in Malaysia. Though I reckon even that was probably better than the Perodua Kancil – I overtook one of those when I was cycling!

And my word, that Renault Alliance is ugly!
I experimented with a C1 for a while. I live in the middle of nowhere and had been driving huge estate cars (Renault Savanna's mostly) to fit all the kids into. When they'd all left and I only had small dogs, I thought I'd get something more economical, so I bought a C1.

It was like driving a baked bean can. I never felt safe in that car. Passed it on to one of the offspring and acquired a Skoda Fabia estate, a car that never put a wheel wrong in its long life. I've now got an Octavia and am a proud Skoda convert. The big diesels also cope much better with the ropey roads, ice, snow, knee-level muck and assortment of dogs.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I experimented with a C1 for a while. I live in the middle of nowhere and had been driving huge estate cars (Renault Savanna's mostly) to fit all the kids into. When they'd all left and I only had small dogs, I thought I'd get something more economical, so I bought a C1.

It was like driving a baked bean can. I never felt safe in that car. Passed it on to one of the offspring and acquired a Skoda Fabia estate, a car that never put a wheel wrong in its long life. I've now got an Octavia and am a proud Skoda convert. The big diesels also cope much better with the ropey roads, ice, snow, knee-level muck and assortment of dogs.
Skodas these days are pretty good reliable cars, taxi drivers use them a lot, they are basically Volkswagons with a different badge, German technology, efficiant and reliable :)

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score

The vinyl is much brighter than that picture makes it look, if thats possible.
God I love Riot Season.
Taken with the cover I decided to google "Primitive Fuck" the results were to be expected. Adding "riot season" brought up their bandcamp, phew. Quite like it, would prefer to be heavier/more primitive, not sure about the fucking though.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
A CD of Frank Zappas 'Over-Nite Sensation' to go with the copy of 'Apostrophe' which I got a couple of weeks ago.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A CD of Frank Zappas 'Over-Nite Sensation' to go with the copy of 'Apostrophe' which I got a couple of weeks ago.
Is this the discovery stage for Zappa or are you already an old fan?

Both decent entries to his catalogue, in my opinion, although fans have very strong opinions over the merits of the various-eras.

I do think there's more raw inventiveness with some of the Mothers Of Invention-era albums, but some of the technical skill of the musicians in the much later albums is at times jaw-dropping.

I also have have his Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar and Guitar albums--which are essentially long-form jams and solos--and they seem the perfect material for post-2 a.m. listening.