• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Stuff You've Just Bought

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can’t play
You can, everyone can.

Frustrates me when I hear people say stuff like this about musical instruments...whatever instrument it is - make it make sounds that mean something to you! Play with these sounds, have fun with them - now you are playing the instrument :)

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
You can, everyone can.

Frustrates me when I hear people say stuff like this about musical instruments...whatever instrument it is - make it make sounds that mean something to you! Play with these sounds, have fun with them - now you are playing the instrument :)
You are my spirit animal :badge:

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
True tho isn't it...

Get an instrument - and play!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
You can, everyone can.

Fair comment.

I cannot get these things to make the sounds I want and despite occasionaly trying I do not end up putting in the required practice. My own fault.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fair comment.

I cannot get these things to make the sounds I want and despite occasionaly trying I do not end up putting in the required practice. My own fault.
The Chinese say if you cannot have the one you love, love the one you have ;)

Work with what you can do, rather than wish you had something else. Play. The key is the word play.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Is this the discovery stage for Zappa or are you already an old fan?
Oh I got taped copies of those 2 albums from some Dutch Hippies that came to stay with us in the early 90s (it's another story), along with some Uriah Heep, and I've always enjoyed them.
Decided to replace them with CD copies so that I could transfer onto my phone for listening in the car.
I'm not really familiar with a lot of Zappas other stuff, but I have seen some Bio-pic type programs which went over his oeuvre and TBH, a lot of it sounded like either an unlistenable cacophony, or long drawn out 'interpretive jazz' nonsense.
These 2 albums mostly follow the form of individual tracks, mostly humourous, and quite entertaining, so if you can recommend something similar then please do.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I got taped copies of those 2 albums from some Dutch Hippies that came to stay with us in the early 90s (it's another story), along with some Uriah Heep, and I've always enjoyed them.
Decided to replace them with CD copies so that I could transfer onto my phone for listening in the car.
I'm not really familiar with a lot of Zappas other stuff, but I have seen some Bio-pic type programs which went over his oeuvre and TBH, a lot of it sounded like either an unlistenable cacophony, or long drawn out 'interpretive jazz' nonsense.
These 2 albums mostly follow the form of individual tracks, mostly humourous, and quite entertaining, so if you can recommend something similar then please do.
If a compilation album isn't a concept you dislike (some people aren't keen), I always push Strictly Commercial on people as being a fantastic selection of his most accessible material: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strictly_Commercial. The only problem is that you'll already have a clutch of the tracks from there on the two albums you have just bought.

You might try Zoot Allures or Sheik Yerbouti (Live) from sort of the same era as you are already exploring, or Joe's Garage if you'd like to go later and quite accessible.

His first album is eclectic but well worth anybody's time: Freak Out!

And We're Only In It For The Money is a very well-regarded album, though you may not like the orchestral elements.

If push came to shove I'd recommend the whole You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Series. Volumes 1, 2 & 5 might suit best, but there's a huge range of material and some great live recordings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can't_Do_That_on_Stage_Anymore,_Vol._1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can't_Do_That_on_Stage_Anymore,_Vol._2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can't_Do_That_on_Stage_Anymore,_Vol._5

Zappa's live bands were some of the most talented in the history of rock and roll.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I've never been a fan of 'live' recordings TBH.
Thanks for the recommendations tough - I'll check some out.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG

i did some diy today and theres more of square foam panels doted around my roomand are not for sound proffing they just help imporve the sound in the room.

Last edited:

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Excellent.

How much does one of these cost--roughly?
Manufactures suggested retail $999 +local and state sales tax if applicable. I got away with out tax in this instance. How? Its complicated. I can explain in another post if anyone cares. But $999 is the price anywhere you can buy a brand new Moog Grandmother in the US.
Nobody discounts Moog. They have kept their iconic status as a legendary brand and they dont try to sell a million of anything. Made in USA, no cheap offshore mass production involved with any of their instruments.
And after receiving it, I understand how they do that. Superior build quality all around. And the sound is spectacular. I knew I liked how it sounded from YouTube demos but in person the tones exceeded my expectations. In comparison to the digital synths I own the Moog sounds HUGE. And theres nothing wrong with my other stuff, all suitable for professional use. A MacBook and Logic 10 w virtual instruments, an old Korg X5D digital synth from the 90s, a couple of Yamaha Refaces, and an Arturia Microfreak. But all those make digital sounds or digital emulations of classic analog sounds. The top notch components and design of the fully analog Moog circuits really do make a difference.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
@Patrick30 , @TangletwigsDeux

If you like anologue synth you might like 'Add N to (X)'

Video NSFW

Thanks. Nice to hear something thats not repetitive dance trance or 100% ambient spacey background music. Not that theres anything wrong with those if well done. Just refreshing to hear those tones in a more rock n roll context.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thanks. Nice to hear something thats not repetitive dance trance or 100% ambient spacey background music. Not that theres anything wrong with those if well done. Just refreshing to hear those tones in a more rock n roll context.
I saw them live at Glastonbury, the guy in front of us was sitting rocking back and forth like a mental patient then Michael Eavis (festival organiser) came into the tent and watched next to us for about 10 minutes, said he didnt like them much and was there to watch the singer (which i forget) who was on next, but as usual everything was running about an hour late.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
My brother had one of these back in the day, now worth a small fortune!
Cool beans. Beringher has reissued the Wasp and several other classic synths in affordable desktop versions(no keyboard) and by all accounts they are pretty darn true to the originals in sound. I almost went for the Beringher version of of the Mini Moog and an Arturia Keystep mini keyboard controller @ around $300 each. The Wasp reissue is around the same price. But I decided I wanted some nicer full size keys and the features of the Grandmother. It does the Mini Moog thing and more, even though a brand new Mini Moog costs more than the Grandmother due to its materials and method of construction. But the Grandmother is about as close to the Mini Moog in sound as you can get and has more features like patch points, connectivity to other synths, eurorack compatibility, etc.

Last edited:

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I saw them live at Glastonbury, the guy in front of us was sitting rocking back and forth like a mental patient then Michael Eavis (festival organiser) came into the tent and watched next to us for about 10 minutes, said he didnt like them much and was there to watch the singer (which i forget) who was on next, but as usual everything was running about an hour late.
Sounds like they use a real drummer and guitars. Did they have a full band or was it just a couple of synth guys with drum machines and backing tracks?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
The classic stereotypical movie portrayal
So... how does this fit with the guidelines on not using lazy stereotypes?

@Yithian 's comment was intended to encourage reflection, rather than further digging of the hole you are currently standing in!

I am starting a PM conversation with you. Please reply there rather than here on thread.

Frideswide

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
So... how does this fit with the guidelines on not using lazy stereotypes?

@Yithian 's comment was intended to encourage reflection, rather than further digging of the hole you are currently standing in!

I am starting a PM conversation with you. Please reply there rather than here on thread.

Frideswide
It's a lazy stereotype I have used myself and I've been an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital on two occasions.

Time for some self-reflection.

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Just spent a pleasant hour or so with some vintage watch bracelet disassembly, and selective reassembly, with some Chinese modern stuff.
I now have a very period appropriate bracelet to go with a very special birth year watch for a fraction of the price of OEM.

That'll do.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The newest iphone,12 or whatever it's called. My LG died when they withdrew making phones. Bye Bye Android, (also difficult to buy an android that isn't made by our excellent Chinese overlords).

I joined the dark side

It's pretty fucking good.

Last edited:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The newest iphone,12 or whatever. My LG died when they withdrew making phones. Bye Bye Android, (also difficult to buy an android that isn't made by our excellent Chinese overlords).

I joined the dark side

It's pretty fucking good.
Sorry to have to tell you this but most iphones are assembled in China.

"It currently assembles the majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location"

https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-the-iphone-made-1999503

Where as Samsung

"The smartphone is by the Korean manufacturer Samsung and is mainly producing smartphones in alternate countries such as Vietnam, India, and more."

https://www.cashify.in/top-10-non-chinese-smartphones-to-buy-in-2020

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Sorry to have to tell you this but most iphones are assembled in China.

"It currently assembles the majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location"

https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-the-iphone-made-1999503

Where as Samsung

"The smartphone is by the Korean manufacturer Samsung and is mainly producing smartphones in alternate countries such as Vietnam, India, and more."

https://www.cashify.in/top-10-non-chinese-smartphones-to-buy-in-2020

Yes but Samsung has the most awful cameras. ( I've had 3).

I quite like my new phone.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ here.

Camera is amazing.

I bought all the best Samsung's and could never get the best out of them -probably pilot error. I must admit Apple are streets ahead.