Stuff You've Just Bought

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
A sword and buckler, because one day the bullets will run out, then how will you kill zombies?View attachment 38607
Flame thrower, obviously....
Zombies-300x184.jpg

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I33. fencing in the style of the Walpurgis Manuscript by Andrew Kenner, it will take some time to understand.

This sounds wonderful!

Updates please :)

If we meet up ever, (say at an Uncon?) we'll have a strictly fun dance with swords!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
but if looking cool and sexy is your aim then it's swords all the way.

Yes. But I'll go against your sword and buckler with my sword and axe!

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Cumberland’s infantry had been given intensive training on how to deal with the onrushing Highlander, claymore in right hand, targe (shield) on his left. Having fired his Brown Bess musket, each man was to use his socketed bayonet to attack the opponent on his right front, trusting that his own comrade to his immediate left would do the same.

This was designed to avoid the parrying effect of the targe and inflict a disabling wound in the first shock of contact.

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/culture/battle-royal-the-story-of-the-battle-of-culloden/

A devastating tactic that required complete faith in the man next to you. The idea was NOT to try and bayonet the opponent directly in front but to aim instead for the opponent next to him on his shield-raised vulnerable side.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A devastating tactic that required complete faith in the man next to you. The idea was NOT to try and bayonet the opponent directly in front but to aim instead for the opponent next to him on his shield-raised vulnerable side.
Pretty much the same as the Roman army tactics

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
5.1 surround sound and nice book with it.
View attachment 38736
Love a bit of Philip Glass - I saw him two nights running a few years ago in Bristol. On the Friday solo piano and in conversation at a small venue, and the following night he was playing with his ensemble at the Colston Hall (now no longer the Colston Hall).

And in the 20 minutes of music I chose for my wedding, among two Beatles songs - Here, there and Everywhere; And I Love Her - and Bach, and the Go-Betweens there was a couple of minutes of Glass's The Photographer. It only occurred to me afterwards that this to could be seen as a poor choice - it was about Eeadweard Muybridge, who killed his wife's lover...!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit cross at Etsy. Ordered something for son's birthday from them, supposedly a 'local source' and it came in a box marked 'Made in China'. Also finding pictures of a sideboard advertised on there as 'vintage' which is a dead ringer for a cheaper one available from Wayfair. I feel Etsy may be losing its way a little.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
report report report!
I was talking about it on Facebook and apparently Etsy has changed its policy. Suppliers can now be bulk supplying, third party sellers, teams etc etc. In which case I think they should rethink their 'carefully made by local people' headings. It is now, basically, just a marketplace. I have lost a lot of faith in it.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A whole lot of books on Charles Manson, Universal Monsters & the movies they appeared in, Atlas Obscura, The Satanic Bible & the auto biography of Anton LaVey, one by Derren Brown plus another on the Roswell incident.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just bought The Oera Linda book and the Book of Enoch.
Have read about them and wanted to read them myself.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Forteanmap01.jpg

I got these a few days ago and so have commenced making my own Fortean gazeteer of the U.K., linked to the indexed book. Links also have relevant FT issue and page number if it is the source.

All counties have a three letter code so that I can easily look up things of interest if I go there. This is a long term project.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Charity shops are open again, yay!

Just bought a pair of Armani jeans £6
And a Hackett blazer £20.

Humph. I want some jogging bottoms and cant find any.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
View attachment 38862

I got these a few days ago and so have commenced making my own Fortean gazeteer of the U.K., linked to the indexed book. Links also have relevant FT issue and page number if it is the source.

All counties have a three letter code so that I can easily look up things of interest if I go there. This is a long term project.

@Spudrick68 Seeing as you’re just starting, there is an app called ’What3words’ which gives you 3 words to pinpoint locations by 3 metre square accuracy. The advantage of this for you would be to record accurate locations in the wilds where there are no street names or nearby identifying landmarks.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
@Spudrick68 Seeing as you’re just starting, there is an app called ’What3words’ which gives you 3 words to pinpoint locations by 3 metre square accuracy. The advantage of this for you would be to record accurate locations in the wilds where there are no street names or nearby identifying landmarks.
There was a story about the emergency services being warn about some issues with 'what3words' as some locations very near to each other have very similar 3 words.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56901363

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
We have a What3Words thread.