Stuff You've Just Bought

Tanglebones

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Im not sure whete abouts ypu are in the country or world, but if youre in the UK and anywhere near Hampshire, the garden centre at Bordon has an amazing aquarium dept.
I'm up North mate, but thanks anyway. Got my babies from probably the best shop for rare/unusual fish in this part of the world at Dunswell between Hull and Beverley.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Nine Corydoras habrosus. They'll be living with Amano shrimp, Neocaridinia shrimp, Cherry barbs and three Nerite snails. Chuffed at finding the habrosus, as dwarf catfish have been difficult to find over the last year.
I just bought (on Saturday) three gold tetra and six diamond neon tetra to join with some gold tetra and some Amano shrimp. The two sets of gold tetra are not the same thing however…

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some anime blue Ray's and a canvas poster that I will post a picture of at some point in the very near future.
image.jpeg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
clinthillbooks.jpg

I've just recieved three personally signed books from former Special Agent (United States Secret Service), Clint Hill. The titles are 'Mrs Kennedy and Me', 'Five Presidents' and 'Five Days in November'.

For anyone who is unaware, Mr Hill was the Secret Service agent initially assigned to protect First Lady Mrs Jacqueline Kennedy, during her husband's Presidency.

He literally stepped from the shadows and into history during President Kennedy's assassination (most famously in the Zapruder footage) after the fatal headshot when Mrs Kennedy climbed onto the rear of the vehicle to retrieve a portion of her husband's brain matter and he climbed onto the the vehicle to protect those in his trust.

He is now 89 years old.

clint2.jpg

clint.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Does the case turn into a racing car or something?

Trevp666

Reaction score
lol. no it a case for my camra.
I've just realised from the scale of it that the transformers thing is some kind of picture - I thought it was a close up of the case for a DVD, lol, hence my question.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I've bought some CDs to fill some holes in my Pink Floyd collection, so arriving sometime this week will be;
A Saucerful of Secrets
More
Atom Heart Mother

...and then a week or two later cos I got it from a different supplier;
Obscured by Clouds

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I picked up some Guinness Guinness Milk Chocolate Caramel Bars on a whim from t'Pound Shop. Gorgeous. :cool:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's not deemed as 'political', but it looks like the Met could have, er, acted as if they weren't in the pockets of certain organisations. Except, well, it would seem they were...

... hence my post.

Nice if you've got enough dosh for that!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's not deemed as 'political', but it looks like the Met could have, er, acted as if they weren't in the pockets of certain organisations. Except, well, it would seem they were...

... hence my post.

Nice if you've got enough dosh for that!

We have a thread on the matter.

Discussion there please:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/daniel-morgan-murder-case.32906/

Older corruption probes here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ountryman-historical-police-corruption.62935/

Trevp666

Reaction score
I have today bought a new bicycle.
Its an Orbea Carpe Hybrid.
Lightweight, lots of gears, a wheel at the front.....and another one at the back!
It replaces the Raleigh Activator which became unusable about 5 years ago due to it's increasing old age.
(I'm not including the Apollo Gradient which I bought to replace the Raleigh but which only lasted 6 months before starting to go rusty, but which also was heavily damaged when I got knocked off it by a car).
Chap in the bike shop is putting some chunky tyres and mud collectors on it for me.
Collect it next week.
1623959706398.png

Trevp666

Reaction score
On a separate but related note.
I asked about English Bicycles?
No.
Only Brompton and they make folding bikes.
I said I don't fancy that - what if it folds while I'm riding it?
Apparently Orbea are a Spanish company that used to make guns.
Their tooling for the barrels was repurposed for making bike frames and the rest is history.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No.
Their tooling for the barrels was repurposed for making bike frames and the rest is history.
The BSA company who made motorbikes started with guns. BSA - Birmingham Small Arms, hence the 'three guns' company badge.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
They also made bicycles and, im not sure if the still do, but up until quite recently, still made air rifles.
Yup, there was a biker joke about blokes who'd just bought a BSA. You had to pretend you thought they meant a pedal bike. Hilarious.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
No.
There are still quite a few smaller-scale companies making bikes in the UK.

I've just tested a bike from Oxford Bike Works, which has a steel frame hand-made in Coventry by Lee Cooper (not the jeans people!) and wheels that are handmade in Oxford.

Bristol has Argos Cycles and Temple, there's Shand in Scotland, Feather, Saffron and Donhou and more; Enigma even makes some of its titanium bikes in the UK. Sadly, apart from Brompton and Pashley, there aren't any medium- or large-scale bike manufacturers left in the UK.

Raleigh shifted its production to the Far East years ago and now only makes a small number of bikes, nothing at all at the top end of the market. Raleigh quite recently took over distribution of the French company Lapierre's bikes in the UK rather than develop its own. A shame on so many levels, as Raleigh's high-end carbon bikes were actually very good prior to that.

Dawes still exists but its bikes are now also made in the Far East (I think, some of their frames used to be made in the Czech Republic), having been manufactured in Birmingham for nearly a century. It's a similar story for Claud Butler and Holdsworth, both now part of Falcon Cycles (itself part of the Tandem Group. I think the Holdsworth name is presently licensed to Sheffield's Planet X Cycles!

Have fun riding the Orbea!

Trevp666

Reaction score
Thanks for the info cycleboy2.
I didn't realise there were so many small scale UK producers, but I expect that the prices are probably (lets say) 'less affordable' than anything from a larger supplier, plus I also expect that waiting lists are quite long.
If I had wanted anything specific in any way, whether that be colour or frame size etc etc, I was advised that it would be a wait of some months, and possibly not until next year!
I have just had a phone call from the Cycle Hub to advise that the bike is ready to collect, so I'm going to head over there tomorrow afternoon to get it.
I shall report back on my first cycling experience for some months!
(Actually it's almost 3 years since my accident, which was when I last rode a bike!)