Stuff You've Just Bought

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Two t-shirts from the official HÜSKER DÜ website. I had one before, but it's falling apart and I didn't replace it because the postage cost from the U.S. (from that site) is seriously steep. Anyway, they sent me a 30% off 'Black Friday' code this morning and that saving pretty much cancels out the shipping. The grey one is the (now very faded) one I already own. The white one I'm very pleased to find available because it's one of my favourite songs of theres:

Husker_Du_05_max1000.png dont+want+to+know+model+revised.png

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
A set of tiny photographs taken in Malaya in the 50s. They're scarcely larger than cigarette cards and only cost a couple of quid, but they blew up well enough:

View attachment 13022 View attachment 13023 View attachment 13024 View attachment 13025 View attachment 13026 View attachment 13027 View attachment 13028 View attachment 13029 View attachment 13030 View attachment 13031 View attachment 13032 View attachment 13033

Would anybody offer a second opinion on two words in the captions?

1) Second set from bottom, in parenthesis: "(and, incidentally a *** for SEE from the new state Engineer)"

[SEE = Senior Executive Engineer]

2) Third set down (so, middle set): "Club is just off the ******* on the right hand side".

I have guesses, but I don't want to prejudice your answers.

Very nice photos, :)

Bat and Photo are the words. I think.

EDIT: Scratch that. I think the first word is 'test' not 'bat'. Having peered at it again.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man
A set of tiny photographs taken in Malaya in the 50s. They're scarcely larger than cigarette cards and only cost a couple of quid, but they blew up well enough:

View attachment 13022 View attachment 13023 View attachment 13024 View attachment 13025 View attachment 13026 View attachment 13027 View attachment 13028 View attachment 13029 View attachment 13030 View attachment 13031 View attachment 13032 View attachment 13033

Would anybody offer a second opinion on two words in the captions?

1) Second set from bottom, in parenthesis: "(and, incidentally a *** for SEE from the new state Engineer)"

[SEE = Senior Executive Engineer]

2) Third set down (so, middle set): "Club is just off the ******* on the right hand side".

I have guesses, but I don't want to prejudice your answers.
'bet' and 'photo'.

Like those, it's while since I saw the word 'amah' in print.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
After two decades, I finally replaced my cassette-CD-radio with a new DAB-CD stereo (no cassette!). It was a trusty machine, but I really need the digital radio facility these days. And I'm sticking with CDs!

Frideswide

Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)
Cycleboy2 - thank you :) oddly, I thought that the grey reminded me of Liberty's plinth but I hadn't made the jump to seeing the statue.

Happy now!

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
The Fantastic Films Of Ray Harryhausen box set containing "It Came From Beneath The Sea", "Earth VS The Flying Saucers" and "The Three Worlds Of Gulliver".

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Didn't really buy but bunged my friend some money for two dozen of his free range eggs.

They are amazing, I give him enough to help cover feed.
Our next door neighbour sells duck eggs. He doesn't own any ducks but he works on a farm so we think he might nick them? .. it's a thing here for some people to put fresh produce and plants on a table with an honesty glass/tin/whatever at the front of their house and you chuck your payment in that. That's how we get our eggs.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Our next door neighbour sells duck eggs. He doesn't own any ducks but he works on a farm so we think he might nick them? .. it's a thing here for some people to put fresh produce and plants on a table with an honesty glass/tin/whatever at the front of their house and you chuck your payment in that. That's how we get our eggs.
If you'd been alive in WW2 you'd be this guy

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I took that photo ... fact.

.. and I'm no spiv sir!, I don't put my pound in the glass, I ring the doorbell to give them the cash instead. It's usually answered by one of their little kids who are usually not wearing any pants, smiling which is a bit unnerving :oops: .. still, a quid for 6 duck eggs is a good price.

Frideswide

it's a thing here for some people to put fresh produce and plants on a table with an honesty glass/tin/whatever at the front of their house and you chuck your payment in that.
Yes, SiL does this for her small holding. She's built up a regular clientele and it means she has cash to hand for necessities.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I would not put any money towards a Kickstarter even if my life depended on it because there's too many scam artists abuseing Kickstarter sites.
I have participated in a single Kickstarter campaign.

Product fantastic, price amazing-- delivery two and half years overdue.

Frideswide

I would not put any money towards a Kickstarter even if my life depended on it because there's too many scam artists abuseing Kickstarter sites.
You are right, it's a gamble - and like any gamble you should risk only what you can walk away from.

So far I haven't lost anything and have a BRILLIANT set of ear plugs, the best weighted blanket I've ever had, a wooden machine gun that fires rubber bands, some Fantasy Allure lippie (swoon), several stim toys and and various books which are mostly ghost stories and folklore with excellent illustrations.

Today some badges arrived from Birch Bark which are based on medieval illuminated manuscripts. It's the second time I've gone in on something with this artist. I mean, how wonderful is a butt-trumpet? a be-appled hedgehog? Last time I got a Nope-Dragon!

1544121465237.png