Stuff You've Just Bought

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
You are right, it's a gamble - and like any gamble you should risk only what you can walk away from.

So far I haven't lost anything and have a BRILLIANT set of ear plugs, the best weighted blanket I've ever had, a wooden machine gun that fires rubber bands, some Fantasy Allure lippie (swoon), several stim toys and and various books which are mostly ghost stories and folklore with excellent illustrations.

Today some badges arrived from Birch Bark which are based on medieval illuminated manuscripts. It's the second time I've gone in on something with this artist. I mean, how wonderful is a butt-trumpet? a be-appled hedgehog? Last time I got a Nope-Dragon!

View attachment 13477
Epic purchase there! I would like to buy some of those for my family.

er, what IS she riding?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
How do you get into this? I'd like to have a look.
It's Kickstarter. There are, I think, other gateways but this one does a lot of art, books, films and so on. I got into it because a friend did a one off developing her degree show into a traveling exhibition. It went well and any moment now I'm going to remember the name and...... ooh! a kitten!

As Megadeth says, it is a gamble. Don't rely on something happening for a specific date, three things have overrun for me.

* The ear plugs found a higher quality manufacturer.
* The rubber band machine gun people had to relocate suddenly because they were Ukrainians based in eastern Ukraine :sos:

* A book on traditional Highland knitting was delayed a year because the author was diagnosed with breast cancer just after the project was fully funded. The backers doubled her money, she was able to take the year for treatment and recovery and then she produced a fabulous book - erudite, beautiful, challenging, containing original patterns, beautiful location photography, was able to provide local island employment to test stuff and produce the final garments, as well as organising and producing the knitting kits which were the backer rewards.

In each case I could have had the pledge returned - it was my choice to stick with the project.

One of the things I enjoy is the invention and variety of the rewards for the different levels. I've put a bit of money into a troupe doing mumming and performing locally with tales of the green man and updated Mystery Play stuff! It's in Leek and I won't be able to get there so I went for the pledge that means I will get some of the art. Some of the levels included your face being included on a mural they are painting!

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
I finally did it. I shelled out for a brand new laptop. It's never been pre-owned, either. :D

My PC has been a work-horse, but sadly, it cannot keep up with a lot of today's software.
Lol eventually that laptop will need replacing because a component died and can't be replaced because it's soldered to the motherboard and i think you have made a mistake because you could of got a pre built pc form scan or build one your self.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I have just purchased a fragment of mission-flown kapton foil which provided thermal protection for the astronauts aboard the Apollo 11 Command Module. It is only minute, being only approximately 1mm x 1mm but it is a piece of history and it's all mine.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Lol eventually that laptop will need replacing because a component died and can't be replaced because it's soldered to the motherboard and i think you have made a mistake because you could of got a pre built pc form scan or build one your self.
Yeah let's all LOL at someone being proud of their new purchase cos you know better!

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Can't take a desktop on a train

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Some Xmas shopping online- just bought William Shatner's Christmas album (which is fantastically named Shatner Claus) and a couple of phone-book sized puzzle books.

Also filled in an annoying wee gap in my comic collection by finally finding an affordable copy of Superman 411. I probably didn't really need it, but ya know...

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Ah, well,

1. We have things that allow us to reflow boards should they become unusable do to a crappy connection.

2. We have people who regularly repair laptops, yes, including replacing SMD's if they self-destruct.

3. I enjoy something portable.

4. This is more-or-less a stop-gap solution so I have something better than my current PC (which has been a beast, but is outdated).

5. This also buys me time to research before I build a new PC.

6. The above things are really good reasons to join your local makerspace.

7. Thanks for looking out.

Edit: It's "could have" not "could of".

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Both our home laptops are, I believe, six or seven years old and we had our 2012 MacBook Pro revamped earlier this year, putting in a new SSD and it now goes like the clappers. Good for a few more years yet. The similar era MacBook Air will go in for a refresh in the new year. We like to get our money's worth from our 'tech'! I only just replaced our 1990s Philips CD player with a new Marantz, so we could play MP3 CDs.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Ah, well,

1. We have things that allow us to reflow boards should they become unusable do to a crappy connection.

2. We have people who regularly repair laptops, yes, including replacing SMD's if they self-destruct.

3. I enjoy something portable.

4. This is more-or-less a stop-gap solution so I have something better than my current PC (which has been a beast, but is outdated).

5. This also buys me time to research before I build a new PC.

6. The above things are really good reasons to join your local makerspace.

7. Thanks for looking out.

Edit: It's "could have" not "could of".
If companies get there way no one will be allowed to repair electronics and companies in the us have tried to make it illegal but have not been successful and they could pull that stunt in the uk.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
If companies get there way no one will be allowed to repair electronics and companies in the us have tried to make it illegal but have not been successful and they could pull that stunt in the uk.
Er, companies can't make something illegal. Governments pass laws, not companies.

Watch out for the soon to be created Special Repairs Squad in your town soon. They'll be down on you like a ton of bricks if you're spotted with so much as a soldering iron in your hand.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Er, companies can't make something illegal. Governments pass laws, not companies.

Watch out for the soon to be created Special Repairs Squad in your town soon. They'll be down on you like a ton of bricks if you're spotted with so much as a soldering iron in your hand.
Why do you think makeing backups of DVDs/blurays and CDs went from Legal to illegal the government bent over backwards to appease the film and music industry and all it takes is a donation/ bribe to whoever is in power so companies can and do influence governments to make laws that befits companies but screw over the consumer.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Both our home laptops are, I believe, six or seven years old and we had our 2012 MacBook Pro revamped earlier this year, putting in a new SSD and it now goes like the clappers. Good for a few more years yet. The similar era MacBook Air will go in for a refresh in the new year. We like to get our money's worth from our 'tech'! I only just replaced our 1990s Philips CD player with a new Marantz, so we could play MP3 CDs.
Apple have been up to no good by making it hard to self repair their hardware.i have a 5.1.2 Marantz low profile AV receiver but there 11.2 receiver is out of reach down it costing over £1000 plus i don't have the space for a full 7.1.4 Dolby atmos setup.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Apple have been up to no good by making it hard to self repair their hardware.i have a 5.1.2 Marantz low profile AV receiver but there 11.2 receiver is out of reach down it costing over £1000 plus i don't have the space for a full 7.1.4 Dolby atmos setup.
I wouldn't dream of self-repairing anything more tech-y than a bike, so that's not that relevant to me, and my new CD player is the very modest 5005. I'll see if I can get 20 years from it now!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Why do you think makeing backups of DVDs/blurays and CDs went from Legal to illegal the government bent over backwards to appease the film and music industry and all it takes is a donation/ bribe to whoever is in power so companies can and do influence governments to make laws that befits companies but screw over the consumer.
Well copying CDs/DVDs is in the eyes of the law pirating & copyright theft. Having said that, I've made many a copy of a CD but I've not made money from selling such items. If I did it would be illegal. Repairing something you've already bought is in no way comparable.